Question on Frenzy skill...

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Nagash
Veteran
Veteran

Question on Frenzy skill...

Post by Nagash »

First of all - hi you guys!

I´m new to this forum and I´m hoping some of you will take your time to help me out....

Here it goes: Does a player with Frenzy HAVE to "go for it" if he doesn´t knock his opponent down in the first block? (that is - if he has used up his basic movement allowance in a Blitz)....

Thx - I´m sure I´ll be back with more questions ... :)

Nagash

Reason: ''
Piepgrass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Piepgrass »

Nope he doesnt have to, but he may if he you want to :)

Poul

[size=150][color=red]VICIOUS[/color][/size]
The Copenhagen Wight.
Nagash
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Nagash »

Piepgrass wrote:Nope he doesnt have to, but he may if he you want to :)

Poul
Doesn´t that conflict with the Frenzy rules saying that you HAVE to make 2 blocks....?!?!

High & Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by High & Mighty »

I think it was clarified in an old Q&A and maybe never made it into TLR1.1 that you had to follow up and make the second block if you were able. After all, a skill can't make you do something you're not allowed to do.

You would still have to follow up, even if you didn't want to roll the GFI and make the second block. I may be corrected, though.

Nagash
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Nagash »

High & Mighty wrote:I think it was clarified in an old Q&A and maybe never made it into TLR1.1 that you had to follow up and make the second block if you were able. After all, a skill can't make you do something you're not allowed to do.

You would still have to follow up, even if you didn't want to roll the GFI and make the second block. I may be corrected, though.
That´s exactly what I´m thinking - you have to "go for it" when going Frenzy.....

High & Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by High & Mighty »

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I think the intention was that you had to make the second block if you were able, meaning if you had any movement left to use, but if you used up your movement, you did not have to GFI. At least that's how we used to play it (and still do) and I don't think the rule was changed, at least not on purpose.

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

I might be way off here, but I remember something about not having to use a skill or trait of you don't want to.. Which would mean that you could simply opt to not use the frenzy trait...

I really need to read the LRB.. One more week before I get easy access to a printer though.. :)

-- Christer

High & Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by High & Mighty »

That was a change for the new rules so you do not have to use Frenzy if you don't want to, which is a big benefit over before so frenzy isn't such the negative it once was. I do not HAVE to block someone standig nex to me just because I have frenzy. I can dodge away or not block if I want to.

But, the frenzy trait states if you do block or blitz, and you only get a pushback, you must follow up and you must hit again (but again I think that's supposed to say you must hit again if you have movement left).

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

Wouldn't you be able to blitz without using the frenzy trait then? I mean, if you have the option to not use a trait, you could just not use it and blitz as usual...

-- Christer

Nagash
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Nagash »

christer wrote:Wouldn't you be able to blitz without using the frenzy trait then? I mean, if you have the option to not use a trait, you could just not use it and blitz as usual...

-- Christer
IMO it becomes a problem when you decide to use the frenzy as part of a blitz.... say you have used up all your movement..... do you have to roll "go for it"-dice OR not...... I say you have to.....

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

Why would you use frenzy if you realize you'll have to make a gfi roll you don't want to do?

Either way, I've always played it so that you have to use your regular movement, but you're not forced to gfi if you don't want to. I'm fairly certain that's the official take on the frenzy/gfi combination...

-- Christer

Nagash
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Nagash »

christer wrote:Why would you use frenzy if you realize you'll have to make a gfi roll you don't want to do?

Either way, I've always played it so that you have to use your regular movement, but you're not forced to gfi if you don't want to. I'm fairly certain that's the official take on the frenzy/gfi combination...

-- Christer
Well - thing is that when you frenzy/blitz - you can be trapped in a position with 2-3 block against you - a trap a wise opponent can play on.... I respect that way you play it, but I´m very uncertain what to do.... IMO it sounds stupid that you can decide to ignore the disadvantage of having to move when frenzied - ie. decide not to "go for it" even when the skill clearly states that you have to follow up and throw another block using the normal rules.....

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

Taking you accept and like the choice to not use the trait, the issue virtually disappears. You simply use the frenzy trait only on the blitzes in which you are prepared to gfi, and don't use it when you only want to block once.

-- Christer

High & Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by High & Mighty »

If you're going to be stuck in that situation, don't throw the initial block in the first place. Dodge off and run away. That was the big problem with old frenzy. If you wanted to keep those dang troll slayers at bay you just stuck one guy on them and they had to block that person no matter what (unless the team wasted their blitz to clear the guy off of the stlayer, in which case the slayer could no longer blitz). It was almost as bad as the minotaur with the dagger to try and avoid the negative of wild animal/frenzy.

Christer, I think that the you don't have to use a skill or trait still applies in the way it is above, but the trait specifically says that if a player with frenzy throws a block, they must follow up and they must throw another block (so you have no choice about throwing a non-frenzy block vs. a frenzy block).

Piepgrass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Piepgrass »

And as far as i recall you allways have to use the 2 traits: Frenzy and Stand firm.

Poul

[size=150][color=red]VICIOUS[/color][/size]
The Copenhagen Wight.