Bone-Head & bouncing balls

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Daguun
Rookie
Rookie

Bone-Head & bouncing balls

Post by Daguun »

Hi,

Suppose an Ogre miss his Bone-Head roll.

On the opponent's turn a bouncing ball fall on him: What happened?

a) He may try to catch the ball
b) He has to roll Bone-Head to see if he can catch the ball
c) The ball scatters because he can't catch it.

Thanks,
--
Daguun

Reason: ''
christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

I'd say he may try to catch it. By failing his bonehead roll, the only thing that happens is that the player loses his (ok, let's be PC here.. or her) tacklezone, and you don't need a tacklezone to catch a ball.

-- Christer

Devil's Advocate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Devil's Advocate »

According to the description of Bone Head in the LRB: "This means they can't do anything this turn, and they lose their tackle zone." (emphasis mine)

I would think anything includes attempts to catch the ball.

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

I think Christer is right... but you may have a point! Hmm I'm not so sure of the answer now :o

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

I'd say it's just an unfortunate sentence. But still if one of you rules gurus say something else, I'll stand corrected..

-- Christer

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

I'm 99.9% sure that the Ogre is still allow to catch the ball.

Heck currently in BB2k1 they can still assist a block after failing the Bonehead roll (that may change in October), they should have enough presence of mind to try the catch roll.

Galak

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

This came up recently in a game between myself and Longfang, but in our case it was a case of is he allowed to intercept after failing a bonehead? Maybe this is something that needs clarification come October.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

How come he can assist a block if he lost his TZ?? Does that mean that an hypnotized player can still assist a block?? Even more if he has guard???

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
mrinprophet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mrinprophet »

Galak,
Can you add that to your list of items for the BBRC to review in October? I realize that it is there with respect lending assists, but, clarification on exactly what a player with a failed bonehead roll can do (intercept, catch bouncing balls, etc.) , and when it wears off (opponent's turn or after successful roll) would be helpful for boneheads like me. BTW, great list!!

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

SBG wrote:How come he can assist a block if he lost his TZ?? Does that mean that an hypnotized player can still assist a block?? Even more if he has guard???

Fred
Yes he can in the official rules ... see WD 182 Q&A. Now before anyone screams about this one ... the BBRC is aware that the vast majority of players don't play that way.

I did an online poll to and 80% of responses didn't know this official rule .. (note in the PBeM tool, it can be set to work either way) ... included in that 80% was Neominal by his own admission on the BBC (I didn't rat him out). As a result of this, there is a better than even chance that in October they won't be able to affect blocking solutions at all.

BUT if your league plays official offical BB2k1 like the MBBL, then yup they can assist. ... same for HGaze guys.

Galak

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

I have to throw out a comment here for everyone to chew on...
The rule says they can't do anything for the turn. Then it goes on to say that they lose their TZ until...yadda yadda yadda.
What does "the turn" mean?
My league has always called both turns a round and each one a turn.
(Player A turn 1 + Player B turn 1 = Round 1)
That's why we rule that the ogre/troll can't do anything in the turn in which he failed the roll but in the opponent's next turn he can assist (without a TZ, catch bouncing balls, etc.)

SixFootDwarf
Experienced
Experienced

Post by SixFootDwarf »

:pissed:

I think I prefer the "spirit of the game" opinion. If the guy's Boneheaded for the "turn", he can't do JACK! No catching, no assisting, no fouling, no nothin'! I totally agree with the Advocate. I think he should disappear until he rolls something other than a 1 for his roll. But I've been wrong before. :)

SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

I like that SixFootDwarf. I'd rather see that guy looking for himself on the pitch than be able to do some actions or help other players.

Why isn't the rule reviewed to sound more like this : "If a player fails his bone-headed roll, he can't take any action until another Bone-headed roll is done." That way, it would be a full turn at least before he can try and do something.

Hypothetically, he could be bone-headed for the entire game if only 1's are rolled. That's the risk of having him on the pitch.

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
High & Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by High & Mighty »

Why isn't the rule reviewed to sound more like this : "If a player fails his bone-headed roll, he can't take any action until another Bone-headed roll is done." That way, it would be a full turn at least before he can try and do something.
:?:

But only moving, passing, blocking, blitzing, and fouling are actions. That means he could still assist and catch.

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

That's precisely the reason we went the way we did.
It needs to be totally reworded. I can see the "roll nothing do nothing" side of it but I'm talking about only what it says in the rules.