Shadowing.

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Ok how many people use shadowing and how many people just overlook it?
You all know the play where 2 or 3 players run deep into your half of the pitch, you pull players back to put them in tackle zones, but next turn they dodge away into the end zone and you go a goal down. Bugger!
Put a couple of players back to act as sweepers and give them shadowing and tackle, and those slippery dodging agility 4 players arn't going to have it so easy. If they are lucky they will have to catch the ball in a tackle zone, if unlucky they will be on the deck and hurting after failing their third or fourth dodge role. And with OSPA what skill will they use, Dodge or Catch. It's a good way to exert more pressure on your opponant.
Remember the more dice they role the more likely the chance of a turn over.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: longfang on 2001-07-27 20:39 ]</font>

Reason: ''
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Shadowing is cool if you have the MA to use it with any regularity (hard with some slower teams against elfy types). Shadowing, Tackle and Diving Tackle would be nasty wouldn't it :wink:

Ancalagon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ancalagon »

I think this kind of skills give more benefits to those elf/dodgy teams, because usually the strong teams that want to stop them have very few mo. I'm much more afraid from a skaven team using those skills than a undead/khemri/chaos team.
I have to say I only tried this skill in one league (with DE) and looked more useful than it was.

If you love something, let it go. If it doesn’t come back to you, hunt it down and kill it.
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I'm considering it for my Runners on my new Dwarf team.

Not until I have useful stuff like Block and Tackle though. Even then Pass Block is more likely.

I'd love to give it to a Longbeard and let him surprise the hell out of someone....but it just wouldn't work :sad: .

longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Pass block is very effective if you give it to an agility increased player. To be effective I think you need at least 2 players with the skill to cover more of the pitch. Our Dark Elf team has 3 AG5 linemen and playing a passing game against them is tricky enough without them having pass block.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I was thinking more along the lines of being able to get my blitzers (who by that stage would have tackle) to exert tackle zones on receivers. Makes the catch a little trickier, I can still try an int, and it means even if my opponent makes the catch he then has to dodge away from my guy.

As I remember the extra movement is free...a real bonus for 5MA Dwarf Blitzers.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

With the New New 4ed rules and the ESOPA rule change, would this not mean as it does with Frenzy that you can only do one Shadowing action per turn or does it not matter as it is not your turn. :???:

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

That's a very good question... what is the official skill description?

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

I do not have the rules handy, but I am now not sure about the unlimited usage of skills in your opponents turn due to the limitations put on Diving tackle. What use is Shadowing if you cannot keep on their tail (skaven players please excuse the pun :lol:)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I just went through the new rules a couple of times and couldn't actually find a rules description of ESOPA anywhere. I think that it is actually only mentioned in the introduction notes, where Jervis warbles on about this and that.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

I believe it is detailed in the changes to skills, but as shadowing wasn't mentioned I asked the question as it would not be in line with the feel of the 4ed as it stands. I would have prefered it if they had left frenzy alone too but we are but pawns..... :lol:

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Yeah ESOPA (Each Skill Once Per Action) isn't really a rule in itself, it's an idea built into some of the new skill desctiptions like Leap.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

Hopefully Jervis or one of the BBRC members is a member of this forum :grin: and can issue another newsletter and advise us :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: voyagers_uk on 2001-11-29 15:54 ]</font>

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Here is the description for Shadowing from DZ with a couple minor edits to incorporate the new rule:

"The player may use this skill when an opposing player moves out of his tackle zone. Each coach rolls a dice and adds their own player's movement allowance to the score. If the shadowing plasyer's coach manages to beat [or tie] the other coach's score, then he may moves his player into the square vacated by the opposing player. He does not have to make any Dodge rolls when he makes this move, and it has no effect on his own movement in his own team turn. If the shadowing player's coach rolls less than ... the other coaches score then his player is left standing. A player may make any number of shadowing moves per turn."

So there you go, I guess our answer is on the last line. I imagine if they wanted to limit it they would have done so seeing as they obviously took a look at this skill in the new rules. Shadowing would pretty much suck if you could only follow one square :wink:

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »