Take Root and Blitz Action

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

CorporateSlave3
Rookie
Rookie

Take Root and Blitz Action

Post by CorporateSlave3 »

After an examination of whether a prone treeman, upon passing his Stand Up roll as part of a Blitz action and then Taking Root would prevent him from using GFI to make an adjacent block (which seems pretty clear cut as correct according to how the rules are worded), we ran into another issue:

From the rules it seems that the Take Root roll should really be done at the very start of an action (before a player takes an action), and therefore before the Stand Up roll (which would be the first roll of the actual declared action):

(Emphasis is my addition)
From Take Root rule:
Before taking any action roll a d6. On a 2 or more, the player may take his action as normal. On a 1, the player "takes root," and his MA is considered 0 until a drive ends, or he is knocked down.
From Prone Player rule:
While prone the player loses his tackle zone and may do nothing except stand up at a cost of three squares of movement when he takes his next action.

So in this case, it has been pointed out that if dice are rolled in this order, it is not possible for a prone treeman to take root? But surely being prone is not meant as a way to avoid making your Big Guy negatrait roll? Or does he have to make the Take Root roll while prone, and if he fails cannot stand? Or does the pass/failure of a Take Root roll while prone allow him to attempt to stand as normal, but simply root him once he's up?*

*In which case the game mechanic of allowing him to Stand Up before making his Take Root roll is still possibly slightly incorrect, but completely irrelevant. It only says make the Take Root roll before taking an action, not before declaring it (i.e. no waiting to see if you pass Take Root before declaring if he will just Move or Blitz)

Reason: ''
Mootaz
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mootaz »

Take root means he has no MA. To stand up with less then MA 3 you need to roll 4+. MA 0 is less than 3, so you can stand up on a 4+. But to blitz you need one remaining MA. With take root you have no MA, therefore no blitz-block.

neverdodge
Super Star
Super Star

Post by neverdodge »

I think people should take care less about the wording and play more in the spirit of the game. Trying to find weakness in the wording to counter some rules isn t the way i like to play (no offense to you corporate)

CorporateSlave3
Rookie
Rookie

Mootaz wrote:Take root means he has no MA. To stand up with less then MA 3 you need to roll 4+. MA 0 is less than 3, so you can stand up on a 4+. But to blitz you need one remaining MA. With take root you have no MA, therefore no blitz-block.
But the question remains, do you make a Take Root roll while prone (i.e. you can't get out of making the rule because you are prone. I ask because someone suggested that since you can't take root while prone (as being prone uproots you), if the Take Root roll is supposed to be made before you took your action - that action being to stand up - it can't affect you since you were prone)?

The rules don't explicitly say that you do or don't make a Take Root roll if prone. Are you saying you would make the Take Root roll, and even if you failed you still are allowed to make your Stand Up roll? So in this case my last statement is most correct:

The Take Root roll ought to be made before the Stand Up roll, but it doesn't really matter since you still have to make it (the Take Root roll), prone or not, and if failed you still can't move or GFI from the square you're in.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Treeman have to roll for Take Root while Prone. ALL Big Guys roll for Negatraits while Prone.

Correct order is Declare Blitz, Roll for Take Root, Roll to Stand-up, Roll for GFI to hit player.

If you fail Take Root you can still stand up on a 4+, but would not be able to GFI to actually hit the opponent so the Blitz action would be wasted.

Galak

CorporateSlave3
Rookie
Rookie

neverdodge wrote:I think people should take care less about the wording and play more in the spirit of the game. Trying to find weakness in the wording to counter some rules isn t the way i like to play (no offense to you corporate)
Heh, no offense taken, I'm on your side - I'm not trying to find a weakness, I'm trying to pave over one to preserve the spirit of the rule - that Take Root is a negatrait that must be rolled every action, and there is no way around failing it, no matter if you're prone, or if you are Blitzing, or whatever.

Negatraits are negatraits for a reason - to make big guys only semi-reliable.

Yeti Bcn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Yeti Bcn »

GalakStarscraper wrote: Treeman have to roll for Take Root while Prone. ALL Big Guys roll for Negatraits while Prone.
The other BG can fail a roll of his negatraith and move the next turn once they have pass his negatraith roll.

It doesen't work like this with "Take Root", so it has not to be the same with rolling while Prone.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Yeti Bcn wrote:It doesen't work like this with "Take Root", so it has not to be the same with rolling while Prone.
Not true. A Treeman that has Taken Root can still stand up which is what your note implies that they cannot.

The bottom line is that Take Root is worded just like Wild Animal, Bonehead, Really Stupid, and Blood Lust in that it has to be rolled after an action is declared but before it starts.

Galak

khudzlin
Experienced
Experienced

Post by khudzlin »

if the treeman fails both his "take root" and "stand up" rolls, is he still considered rooted until he manages to stand up and get knocked down (or the drive ends)?

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

yes, if he stands up again he will be rooted until either of those two happen

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Just to clarify, you roll for Take Root immediately after declaring your action.
You have to declare your action in order to try to stand up: You can stand up on most actions, but you always have to declare which action you're taking.
I ask because someone suggested that since you can't take root while prone (as being prone uproots you)
Actually - being prone does not uproot you. Getting knocked down uproots you.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
duckwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by duckwing »

GalakStarscraper wrote:If you fail Take Root you can still stand up on a 4+, but would not be able to GFI to actually hit the opponent so the Blitz action would be wasted.
Galak
I thought he could still make a GFI to make a block against an adjacent opponent if he took root during a blitz, only he can't follow up?

Praise Nuffle!
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Nope.
Take Root specifically states that you can not GFI. So you can't generate the move to do the smack.

However, if you rooted on a Block action then you can block, because on a block action no movement is required.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead