Catch/Diving Catch combo

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Prowler
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Prowler »

Am i the only one who hate the catch/Diving Catch combo? It's so very easy to play the ball, it takes away the fun.

Reason: ''
[b]Against us all.[/b]
Ancalagon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ancalagon »

But if you fail catch, you loose turn so it's not an "alwaysworkcombo"... tell me if I'm wrong...
One question for you that look more experienced than me... I want to know if throw team mate/rigth stuff works enough well... I just can't stop thinking on my new lizard team :smile:

If you love something, let it go. If it doesn’t come back to you, hunt it down and kill it.
Prowler
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Prowler »

Sorry everyone, i meant the Hail Mary Pass/Diving Catch combo.

About the Throw Team Mate/Right Stuff combo.
I think it's a very good combo, when i play with my Orc team i always throw my gobbos. And if i'm lucky with the star player rolls and get +AG for the gobbos, it's even better.
Even if the big guy miss the throw it's still a big chance for the gobbo to land on his feet with AG 4.

[b]Against us all.[/b]
Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

Correct me If I'm wrong: Imagine I've a kroxi with st 6, throw team mate and a skink with rigth stuff; I throw the skink but with kroxi ag 1 its quite difficult to do the pass. On the other hand, unless I roll 1 my skink will reach more or less (three d8 rolls) the place where I wanted him to land and If I'm lucky enough I'll roll 6 placing skink where I wanted. In any of this cases I won't loose turn. But If I throw the skink which is carrying the ball I'll loose turn unless a 6 is rolled.
BTW if I throw my skink and the pass him the ball with an elf ally thrower... could be a 1 turn score, unless this count as one of my pass action for that turn. PLEASE TELL ME THAT IT IS NOT A PASS ACTION :grin:)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ancalagon on 2001-06-29 08:38 ]</font>

Moosifer
Rookie
Rookie

It is a pass

Post by Moosifer »

Throw Team Mate is your teams pass action, plus in BB2k1 Kroxigors no longer can get TTM, and SKink's don't have RS.

As for the whole HMP/Diving catch thing, it's roughly 50/50 of getting the ball to the player, let alone catching it. Pass Block works really well against it, as you have to target a player (otherwise they can't use DC on it), and trying to catch an innaccurate pass in a couple of TZ's isn't pleasent.

Mark

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

I have two backfield safety blitzers on my team.

Block, Pass Block, Diving Tackle

Go right ahead and HMP, Diving Catch ... I'll be waiting ...

For most ideas in Blood Bowl there is a counter strategy.

Since Pass Block works on the targeted square of TTM ... I don't worry to much about that skill either.

And sorry, but Kroxigor can never throw a Skink, unless you are playing 3rd edition rules.

Galak

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Since Pass Block works on the targeted square of TTM ... I don't worry to much about that skill either.

I'm guessing this is an MBBL2 house rule, because I doubt it works officially. You can't "put the receiving player in your tackle zone," or whatever the wording is, as there's no receiving player on the play!

-Chet

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Sorry Chet .... didn't realize that the BBRC was overturning a long standing official ruling from Jervis on Pass Block vs Throw TeamMate:

"All the modifiers that affect Pass apply to Throw Team Mate, so Pass Block can be used to place tackle zones on the thrower or on the landing square, but not to an interception position. [JJ]"

If you are, you might to include it in an FAQ. I've played with JJ's ruling for years on this one.

Just as a note, I don't care either way. But there is a long establish JJ ruling on this one.

Galak

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Probably comes out of the Oberwald, right? As such, it doesn't have a shred of weight to it. My own opinion, as previously stated, is that you can't use Pass Block as you've described it - but it's just my opinion, and if it's worked well for your leagues, that's great!

Cheers.

-Chet

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Do you know what really amazes me about this thread? Most e-coaches, in my experience, feel that HMP/DCatch is a poor combo!

-Chet

Trambi

Post by Trambi »

8) i think it's a good combo if you have two or more players with diving catch, catch and nerves of steel ... :evil:

Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

i think it's a good combo if you have two or more players with diving catch, catch and nerves of steel ...

Remember that you can use DCatch only if the ball was thrown directly to that player!

-Chet

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

I agree that DC/HMP isn't all that great a combo. Where it really works is in adding a throwing game to a team that doesn't usually have much of a throwing game (Chaos Dwarfs, Dwarfs, Gobbos and Lizardmen I've all found benefit from this combo), but at the end of the day it's a high-risk play. Your chances of even connecting are under 50% and you still have to make the catch roll.

If your league is reasonably balanced then every team should have players to shut down the passing lanes. The DC/HMP combo is even easier to shut down because, given you have only one player with each the play is easy to spot.

Marcus

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

The DC/HMP combo is even easier to shut down because, given you have only one player with each the play is easy to spot.

Proving again that you need two of any type of player to keep the opponent from focusing in on you!

-Chet

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

this is a nice Combo i believe.
but more catchers you have, more difficult it is for the defence.

As you said, this is not a combo that works all the time.

But it is cool when 4 gunter runners are waiting for the ball with DC even if the catch fail, you have 4 offensive and Agil players near to score.

i think that Pass block can be use, not for interception but to put tacle zone.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/