vampire issues

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

bouncergriim
Super Star
Super Star

vampire issues

Post by bouncergriim »

If a vampire suffers Blood Lust roll of 1, then takes his move action to be by a thrall and ends up next to an opposing player, can he then use hypnotic gaze on the opposing player.

Reason: ''
Father911
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Father911 »

Yes he can.

After a failed bloodlust roll a vampire must make a move action and hypnotic gaze is used at the end of a move action.
In fact he can use his hypnotic gaze even if he is not next to a thrall (though he is removed from the pitch immediatly after)

the sequence is...

1. failed bloodlust roll
2. move
3. hypnotic gaze
4. Bite or be removed from pitch and turnover

Veteran

Post by zephard »

Ok, just not making a new thread here, decided to use this one.

I have played with and against Vamps.

My question deals with the Hypno Gaze.

1. A player gets Hypno Gazed. Then a turn over happens, so now the player still has no TZ until he is activated right? So that if you don't choose the Hypno gazed player, he is still got no TZ and can not assist in blocks. So far am I right?

2. Say you have a player who has been Hypno gazed, and you don't activate him first, but decide to do this other thing, and a turn over happens from it. Does the player still not have a TZ? Or does he recover at the end of his own turn, no matter if he was activated or not.

If at first one doesn't succeed, and doesn't try again, then he will never succeed.
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

I will be interested to see an "official" ruling on this, we have always played it that the loss of tackle zone was a momentary thing whilst the Vamp had him in thrall so to speak. Once the vamp turn was over the tackle zone resumed.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
fen
Legend
Legend

Post by fen »

The offical ruling is in the LRB.
Hypnotic Gaze (Extraordinary)
The player has a powerful telepathic ability that he can use to stun an opponent into immobility. The player may use hypnotic gaze at the end of his Move Action on one opposing player who is in an adjacent square. Make an Agility roll for the player with hypnotic gaze, with a -1 modifier for each opposing tackle zone on the player with hypnotic gaze other than the victim's. If the Agility roll is successful, then the opposing player loses his tackle zones and may not catch, intercept or pass the ball, assist another player on a block or foul, or move voluntarily until the start of his next action or the drive ends. If the roll fails, then the hypnotic gaze has no effect.
In LRB4 the player got their tackle zones returned to them at the start of their team's turn. In LRB5 this has changed to the above text. Which means that until you activate a hypno gazed player, or the drive ends they have no tackle zones (as if they'd failed a bonehead roll). If you don't take an action with a hypno gazed player and you suffer a turnover, he has no TZ's during the opponents turn. And will continue to have no TZs until he finally does take an action. It works like failed Bonehead/Really Stupid Rolls in this respect.

If you don't use Hypno Gazed players early in a turn, you're taking the risk that your turn may end early and your opponent will be able to take advantage of this lack of tackle zones.

In short, once Hypno Gazed, a player will lose their Tackle Zones until they start an action. The only time that an end of turn will give them back their tackle zones is at the end of a drive.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

thanks Fen :)

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
zephard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zephard »

Thanks Fen, that helps a lot. It is what I thought, but some of the guys I play won't tell you if its to there advantage. So I didn't know if my guys were just standing there dumbfounded when they weren't suppose to be.

If at first one doesn't succeed, and doesn't try again, then he will never succeed.
Mad Jackal
Shaggy

Post by Mad Jackal »

Fen's got it right.

That is the official rule.

And now I'm a little hurt by your implication zep.....

Who's playing vamps vs you right now that you can't ask ?

:-?

:)

Impact! Miniatures Forum
Impact! Miniatures
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."

Icepelt is my Hero.
zephard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zephard »

Actually its my vamps and the oppenents, or my Dark elf against one of the other vamp teams.

I forgot we were playing a Vamp game, Mad. Otherwise I would have asked.

Nathan

Rune
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Rune »

fen wrote: If you don't use Hypno Gazed players early in a turn, you're taking the risk that your turn may end early and your opponent will be able to take advantage of this lack of tackle zones.

In short, once Hypno Gazed, a player will lose their Tackle Zones until they start an action. The only time that an end of turn will give them back their tackle zones is at the end of a drive.
Didn't realize this. But I've never played with vamps either.
So, this means taking a move action without actually moving a player at all will sometimes be a reasonable move :)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Rune wrote:Didn't realize this. But I've never played with vamps either.
So, this means taking a move action without actually moving a player at all will sometimes be a reasonable move :)
Correct.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
bouncergriim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by bouncergriim »

Two questions about vamps.

#1Okay if a vamp blood lusts, runs over to the ball to pick it up but fails (TO I know) and is next to a thrall, can he still bite the thrall, thus avioding being put into the reserves?

#2Secondly could he use Hypnotic Gaze if he was also beside an opponent?

My guesses are yes to question 1 and no to #2

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

bouncergriim wrote:My guesses are yes to question 1 and no to #2
Correct .... yes to #1 ... and no to #2.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Grogmir
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Grogmir »

Does Mighty Blow effect the attack on Thralls?

Spike Cup Reading 07 -- Runner Up, DE's. Damn you Lycos!
Conflict south 07 - Winner, Dark Elves.
Brighton BB league runner up 07 - DE's.
Brighton BB league runner up 06 - Dwarves
Mootaz
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mootaz »

Grogmir wrote:Does Mighty Blow effect the attack on Thralls?
You don't have to use Mighty Blow when biting your own thralls, as you can always opt to NOT USE your skills if say don't say anything to the contrary.