Skill Selection System for Tournaments

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Skill Selection System for Tournaments

Post by Pipey »

Hi,

Been thinking about a new skill selection system which I'm thinking of using at Monkeybowl this year.

Current ideas are as follows:

In addition to the 1,100,00 crowns for picking your team, you get 200,000 crowns to spend on "training" only:

The 200k is spent at the beginning of the tournament on any combination of the following:

choose one skill for a rookie player
choose +1MA for a rookie player (one per team)

choose one double roll for a rookie player
choose +1 AG for a rookie player (one per team)

choose +1 STR for a rookie player
choose two skills for a single rookie player

I'm considering adding a random skill at the start of each of the two days, but my main idea is the idea of buying skills.

This system is based on the concept of selecting one of a choice of packages of skills/advances such as the system used in Waterbowl this year. This method is similar but gives each coach a much wider range of choices.

What do you think? Would this enhance the tournament experience? Or would it over complicate things?

Reason: ''
UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

I think that the concept is a good idea We did a similar thing with the budget Bowl last year and will be doing it again at the Carrot Crunch this year where you can buy skills for rookie players from the 1,100,000 crowns allowance at 50k per skill that seemed to work well, as the 3 way tie at the top saw 1 player spending the whole allocation on players 1 spent 1,050,00 and bought 1 skill and 1 spent 950k and bought 3 skills. However I do thing that being able to buy "doubles" and stat increases could over complicate things

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK
grotuk
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotuk »

And why not just give 120k to spend in "developments". (the equivalent as 1 skill per game)

Im not sure if it will work well...but its and interesting concept...Its something similar to "Farina's System"...but with more possibilities.

Pipey

Post by Pipey »

grotuk wrote:And why not just give 120k to spend in "developments". (the equivalent as 1 skill per game)

Im not sure if it will work well...but its and interesting concept...Its something similar to "Farina's System"...but with more possibilities.
Yeah that's precisely how I see it.

I think it's interesting to include the possibility of traits and stat increases but obviously at an increased cost compared to skills. Just mixes things up as compared to the usual 5 skills, or 4 skills and a trait.

Adding a couple of random skills at intervals will give the feeling of the team developing throughout the tournament.

Rodders - I think if you simply include the extra cash for training in the total price for the team i.e. 1,300,000 then it will give an unfair advantage to teams who have loads of spare cash in the bank under TR110 e.g. amazons and dwarfs. These teams will have lots more skills to start with than other teams e.g. elves, and will have a massive advantage (as if they didn't have one already).

bouncergriim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by bouncergriim »

I like the 120k idea to buy improvements and only allow each player to have 40k or 50k in improvements. That way you can only have a player with 2 skills at max or one stat increase. Maybe up to 50 on one player and only 40 on the rest of your players up to 120k total spent on all possible players.

grotuk
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotuk »

For me 50k max per player sounds good. If you want to spend almost the half of your skills option in one player...thats your choice...without that player you are going to be in a really poor position for the rest of the game.

I do my tourney last weekend...so now i need a year to test it...or somebody else :p

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

I like the idea, and as Rodders said, the skill variation worked well at budgetbowl. My thoughts would be to increase team rating rather than dictate how the extra amount should be spent. Some teams need skills, others need players, some need both.

I would agree 1,300,000 gp would seem too much, I would think 1,200,000 gp might be a better balance?

However the only way to find out is too play some games, so best of luck with whichever system you use.

Besters

Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

I like the idea Bren but would not have stat increases available (MA 10 Gutter Runners for example).

And roll on Monkey Bowl, I hope to be there (depends on shift patterns) and recomend it to anyone.....plug, plug.

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Pipey

Post by Pipey »

Monkeybowl 2 is just in the embryonic stages at the moment. Hope to announce a date before Xmas...

Do people in general think stat increases are bad? The feedback I'm getting here is that skills and the occasional trait are what people prefer.

Is this just resistance to change? Or do people think stat increases would genuinely unbalance the game?

The system above allows stat increases but at a high cost. I just thought it might make things a little more interesting...

grotuk
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotuk »

I think people dont wanna change. The more i check the unbalance posibilities...the less i think they can...

The only case i can see some problem is with 2 WD with +ST and one of them with Strip Ball...but again if you focus on the rest of the team...you can outnumber the woodies so easily.

Dunno. Just need to try it and watch how it goes. If it unbalances something...i dont think its going to be so noticeable.