Beast of Nurgle + Mutations

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

DamianTheLost
Experienced
Experienced

Post by DamianTheLost »

Apart form claw, what kind of mutations would u give the beast anyway???

Reason: ''
Bucket-Head
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bucket-Head »

Prehensile Tail.

Rock N Block!!!
datalorex
Star Player
Star Player

Post by datalorex »

DamianTheLost wrote:Apart form claw, what kind of mutations would u give the beast anyway???
Claw is the only Tier 1 mutation anyway, and if you happened to roll doubles a SECOND time on the BON, then I'd be checking your loaded dice! lol.

Prehensive tail does keep your prey from leaving though.

fen
Legend
Legend

Post by fen »

Prehensile Tail is Tier 1 as well, it's just that you need to pick it in multiples before it really shows it's power.

But doubles on a BoN are Block, Claw, Tackle, Prehensile Tail. So it's unlikely you'll roll that many.

DamianTheLost
Experienced
Experienced

Post by DamianTheLost »

Why no allow it? It's a chaos beast they are the essence of chaotic mutations? Would this really unbalance the team? Haven't played them yet, but I realize they're doing pretty ok....

Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

DamianTheLost wrote:Why no allow it? It's a chaos beast they are the essence of chaotic mutations? Would this really unbalance the team? Haven't played them yet, but I realize they're doing pretty ok....
Exactly my point Damian, but one which I don't seem to be able to make the powers that be understand. It fits better with the background, it makes more sense and it wouldn't suddenly catapult the Nurgle team to the realm of "untouchable". It may make them slightly more competetive, but I think there are other teams that are more competetive than them anyway (Norse & Dwarves to name two).

C'est la vie.. :roll:

Cramy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Cramy »

lucifer wrote:
DamianTheLost wrote:Why no allow it? It's a chaos beast they are the essence of chaotic mutations? Would this really unbalance the team? Haven't played them yet, but I realize they're doing pretty ok....
Exactly my point Damian, but one which I don't seem to be able to make the powers that be understand. It fits better with the background, it makes more sense and it wouldn't suddenly catapult the Nurgle team to the realm of "untouchable". It may make them slightly more competetive, but I think there are other teams that are more competetive than them anyway (Norse & Dwarves to name two).

C'est la vie.. :roll:
I've played against well coached Nurgle teams, and they are a nightmare to play against. They don't need a boost. Keep the balance, ignore the fluff.

Cramy
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Cramy wrote:Keep the balance, ignore the fluff.
Absolutely - what a stupid thing to use, "fluff". Who really gives a damn if it makes no sense that the very Beast of Nurgle can't mutate as easily as some minor mortal follower.

:roll:

(And yes, that's sarcasm.)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Lemur
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lemur »

I would take all M access from the nurgle team anyway. Why would Granfather Nurgle bestow petty mutations on his followers when he has already given his greatest blessing on them already.

That and I prefer the good old sinister and cool chaos instead of the freakshow version of it. :P

Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

Darkson wrote:
Cramy wrote:Keep the balance, ignore the fluff.
Absolutely - what a stupid thing to use, "fluff". Who really gives a damn if it makes no sense that the very Beast of Nurgle can't mutate as easily as some minor mortal follower.
Actually, I don't see it being a big deal even if the Beast was given normal M access. Guard and stand firm are probably more useful for him anyway. An uber-basher who choses Claw early might get a few more CAS, but is less likely to have the Beast play a role (soaking up the opponent in a scrum) in winning the game. Sure, a long-term Beast with easy mutations will be formidable, but isn't every heavily skilled big guy a lot to deal with?

Spike! Magazine Major Tournament - September @ Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thunderbowl Sports Network - Head Coach of the Leaps of Faith.
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Another one for the cause! Well done.

Galak - how does one go about petitioning the BB Rules Committee to change the BoN to allow it Mutations?

Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

Urr, not to be a wet blanket, but though I think it makes fluffy and possible gameplay sense to add M access to the Beast, it's definitely not the biggest thing the BBRC has on its plate. :wink:

In fact, the current Nurgle roster is still relatively new and, being a dramatic shift from LRB4, should probably be left as is for awhile before being tweaked.

Spike! Magazine Major Tournament - September @ Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thunderbowl Sports Network - Head Coach of the Leaps of Faith.
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Warpstone wrote:it's definitely not the biggest thing the BBRC has on its plate. :wink:
Yeah. It needs new members. :pissed:

Have fun!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Snew wrote:
Warpstone wrote:it's definitely not the biggest thing the BBRC has on its plate. :wink:
Yeah. It needs new members. :pissed:
Problem for you Steve is that members are members until they step down.

We have a new member already ... just waiting for JJ to give approval to announce it.

BBRC for this year will be:
JJ
Ian (Doubleskulls)
Babs
Galak

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Gotten
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gotten »

Giving the Beast of Nurgle mutations access on normal skill rolls would create the best big guy in the game without competition.

Every double would be spent on block or tackle and then add 1 normal roll and you got either a very dangerous blocker or the ultimate enemy of low strength, dodging players.

Imagine a BoN with both tackle and block! Just that would scare the hell out of me. Add claw and Prehensive tail to that mix and you got yourself a murder machine which no-one can get away from! Yummy! :evil:

ps. add stand firm/Guard to that calculation if you want to create a real nightmare.