Rooted trees and juggernaut

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Rooted trees and juggernaut

Post by Aliboon »

Can a Treeman who's taken root declare a blitz action and use the juggernaut skill to prevent a turnover from a both down, even though they can't move?

From just reading the rules I'd say yes as from my take on it, a player with juggernaut could use his blitz to get free of an adjacent player by blocking him out the way and then moving on, without necessarily having followed up. Obviously a rooted tree can't do this.

But from a common sense perspective, it's a nonsense.

Does the rule need a qualifier like Horns (i.e. must move a space first to use it) or was it intended to be the case that a juggernaut could free himself up as part of the blitz and a rooted tree is just the exception that proves the rule?

Reason: ''
Mad Jackal
Shaggy

Post by Mad Jackal »

A tree man who has taken root has ZERO movement. Blitzing requires a point of movement to throw the block.

So, as far as I can tell the tree can not blitz. But I'll have to re-read the rules to verify my answer.

-edit to add. Players who have taken root may not go for it- see bolded below.
[quote="LRB"]Take Root (Extraordinary)
Immediately after declaring an Action with this player, roll a D6. On a 2 or
more, the player may take his Action as normal. On a 1, the player “takes
rootâ€

Impact! Miniatures Forum
Impact! Miniatures
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."

Icepelt is my Hero.
fen
Legend
Legend

Post by fen »

Juggernaut (Strength)
A player with this skill is virtually impossible to stop once he is in motion. If this player takes a Blitz Action, then opposing players may not use their Fend, Stand Firm or Wrestle skills against blocks, and he may choose to treat a ‘Both Down’ result as if a ‘Pushed’ result has been rolled instead.
There's no run up needed for Juggernaut.

As for the actual question, this is one I don't know. I shall disect the rulebook and see if it holds the answer.
BLITZ MOVES p. 9
Once per turn a player on the moving team is allowed to make a special Blitz move. A blitz allows the player to move and make a block. The block may be made at any point during the move, but costs one square of movement for the player to make. The player may carry on moving after the effects of the block have been worked out if he has any squares of movement left.
Cut From Take Root text p. 48
...on a 1, the player “takes rootâ€

Bonehead
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Bonehead »

I'm with Mad Jackal ruleswise but I would allow a blitz to be used to use juggernaut.

Reading my sig was by about three seconds of total waste of time.
Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

Ok, that makes sense. A block as part of a blitz action takes a square of MA which the Tree doesn't have, so he can't do it.
(I do know that juggernaut was specifically required to take a square first like horns on purpose.)
Eh!?, Where does it say that? Not in the LRB5 i've downloaded, unless i've gotten selective blindness as well as deafness! Or was that part of the LRB5 development ruleset?

Mad Jackal
Shaggy

Post by Mad Jackal »

Bonehead wrote:I'm with Mad Jackal ruleswise but I would allow a blitz to be used to use juggernaut.
Thanks fen. I edited that line a few times and missed that I erased the "not". I've put it back.

and while I was digging up my answer and editing the post to put that in, you answered.

I dis-agree. Trees are too good on Wood Elf teams right now. Allowing them to use Juggernaut to blitz from rooted would be too much benefit I fear. That is what grab is for.

Impact! Miniatures Forum
Impact! Miniatures
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."

Icepelt is my Hero.
Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

Ooops, disregard the 2nd bit of my last post, was composing it before the edit.....

Father911
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Father911 »

Aliboon wrote:Ok, that makes sense. A block as part of a blitz action takes a square of MA which the Tree doesn't have, so he can't do it.
(I do know that juggernaut was specifically required to take a square first like horns on purpose.)
Eh!?, Where does it say that? Not in the LRB5 i've downloaded, unless i've gotten selective blindness as well as deafness! Or was that part of the LRB5 development ruleset?
You are correct, Juggernaut does NOT require a square to be moved first as horns does. It just requires a blitz action (and as has been mentioned a point of movement for the block).

Post by Mad Jackal »

Aliboon wrote:Ooops, disregard the 2nd bit of my last post, was composing it before the edit.....
looks like we all were. My mistake. I had secifically asked Galak back during the discussion of including juggernaut into the rules "Why doesn't it require a square to be taken first like Horns?" and I don't recall the exact reason, (something to do with the extra restriction being un-neccesary clutter) - but it had been discussed and discarded.

Impact! Miniatures Forum
Impact! Miniatures

Icepelt is my Hero.
Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

Thanks all, not sure how often the situation would come up, but as I never roll doubles for my Big Guys and always seem to roll both down/skulls with them I thought juggernaut would be a good skill to stop the turnovers.

And I can see there being times when I could've "wasted" the blitz on a rooted tree just to prevent a possible turn over. But as its all been explained, that aint the case.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

So the description is slightly odd - impossible to stop "once he is in motion".

zephard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zephard »

Well the motion starts with the nostrels and continues from there, so he doesn't have to take a step to start the motion.

If at first one doesn't succeed, and doesn't try again, then he will never succeed.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

zephard wrote:Well the motion starts with the nostrels and continues from there, so he doesn't have to take a step to start the motion.
There you go ... :lol:

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
kano
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kano »

I may be mistaken on this, but in LRB4 i think you used to be able to block with the trees if there was someone in his TZ, even though he was "rooted". Did the skill change in this regard, or were we misunderstanding the rule the whole time????? :roll:

Xeterog
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Xeterog »

you can block if someone is in you TZ..but you can't spend any movement..so no blitzing while Rooted (because the block during a blitz takes 1 square of movement)

-Xeterog