Dauntless and Foul Appearance

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

Reservoir Elves,

When we played, I just assumed something like the list Fen made was going on. My list was a bit more complicated though, as follows:

In my head, the order of any block is always as follows:

1. Declare the block action and target
1a. Make and resolve any enabling rolls to see if the player can declare the action (Bonehead, Jump Up, Foul Appearance etc.)
2. Calculate strengths for each player.
2a. Make any relevant skill declarations regarding the strength for each side (Dauntless, Multiple Block)
2b. Resolve the skill declarations with rolls (only Dauntless.)
3. Calculate assists for each side.
3a. Make any relevant skill declarations regarding the assists for each side (Guard)

Then 5-7 as per Fen's list (I think 1 and 2 are actually one entire step.)

The reason I thought that came from the texts of Foul Appearance and Dauntless, namely:

Foul Appearance: The player’s appearance...any opposing player that wants to block the player ...must first roll a D6 and score 2 or more.

Dauntless:A player with this skill ...The strength of both players is calculated before any defensive or offensive assists are added but after all other modifiers.

FA seems to imply that it must be rolled prior to the block action even taking place (it's as if the action didn't even get declared.) Dauntless seems to indicate that it is only rolled once the block action itself is occurring.

Now, the more difficult question- If a Jump-Up player wants to block a FA appearance player, which takes precedence? I would assume Jump Up, but it's less clear to me. I could argue that FA should be rolled 1st, and if the roll fails, the Jump Up player could not even roll to stand up and block!

Reason: ''
zephard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zephard »

Were I would say Jump Up would be rolled first. For one can not actually attempt to block if one is not standing. But verbage is everything.

If at first one doesn't succeed, and doesn't try again, then he will never succeed.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Jump Up would be under 1a (as you'd still need to declare the Block action and target first).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
zephard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zephard »

Darkson wrote:Jump Up would be under 1a (as you'd still need to declare the Block action and target first).
Yes but so is Foul Appearance. Which was the question which one first.

Between the two, I would think the more "Difficult" one (Jump Up).

If at first one doesn't succeed, and doesn't try again, then he will never succeed.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

zephard wrote:
Darkson wrote:Jump Up would be under 1a (as you'd still need to declare the Block action and target first).

I'd say Jump Up is before Foul Appearance because if you fail the Jump Up roll ... there isn't even an attempt to block and failing the FA roll if done first would basically end the player's action which would mean that FA would even stop him from standing up ... which doesn't make sense.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Xeterog
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Xeterog »

zephard wrote:

Difficulty of the roll should have no bearing on which one is rolled 1st.

Think of what is happening and what 'should' happen 1st. This will usually get to the right answer..(if not, it should be spelled out in the rules--see interceptions)

-Xeterog
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
I'd say Jump Up is before Foul Appearance because if you fail the Jump Up roll ... there isn't even an attempt to block and failing the FA roll if done first would basically end the player's action which would mean that FA would even stop him from standing up ... which doesn't make sense.

Galak
I think it's a gray area, but certainly I'd buy that ruling. The finals in our league has a shot at being Dark Elves vs. Nurgle, so I'll get the buy-off from our commish that it should be handled that way.

Thanks for the answer!