Dauntless and Foul Appearance

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

reservoirelves
Experienced
Experienced

Dauntless and Foul Appearance

Post by reservoirelves »

If someone with Dauntless wishes to block a stronger player with Foul Appearance which skill is rolled first?

Reason: ''
zephard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zephard »

To me it would not matter, but I would say Dauntless. See a really pumped guy running up to a "it" then realizing he really doesn't want to hit that "thing".

If at first one doesn't succeed, and doesn't try again, then he will never succeed.
Xeterog
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Xeterog »

It really doesn't matter at all. But if it did, I'd say Foul Appearance.

Delcare block
roll Foul appearance to see if you can actually make the block
Then roll Dauntless to see what your Strength will be for the block

But I can't imagine any circumstance where this would matter at all, since both rolls happen after the block declaration and the actual rolling of the block dice...(maybe when a card can be used--but those usually are at the start/end of turns or between turns now).

-Xeterog
reservoirelves
Experienced
Experienced

Post by reservoirelves »

I expect that if you roll a '1' on the first roll, the order of the skills will matter when you are deciding on a reroll.

fen
Legend
Legend

Post by fen »

I'm pretty sure GorTex is correct in the order

I'm confident the block would break down as follows.
Declare block, roll Foul Apperance then roll Dauntless, roll block dice, roll Armour, roll injury, roll casualty, dance the gain SPP dance.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

fen wrote:I'm pretty sure GorTex is correct in the order

Declare block, roll Foul Apperance then roll Dauntless, roll block dice, roll Armour, roll injury, roll casualty, dance the gain SPP dance.
Agreed

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

fen wrote:
dance the gain SPP dance.
Appearing in a youtube window near you soon...

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
Xeterog
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Xeterog »

reservoirelves wrote:I expect that if you roll a '1' on the first roll, the order of the skills will matter when you are deciding on a reroll.
True...guess I just wasn't thinking about it hard enough :)

--Of course, I hardly ever RR the dauntless roll myself--save that rr for the block result--got burned a few too many times RR'ing the dauntless roll only to roll double Skulls anyway....

If you set it up right, the dauntless roll should be the determination of a 1db and a 2db your favor..not a 2db defender choice or 1db--helps to have alot of guards around ;)

-Xeterog
datalorex
Star Player
Star Player

Post by datalorex »

GorTex wrote:
reservoirelves wrote:I expect that if you roll a '1' on the first roll, the order of the skills will matter when you are deciding on a reroll.
True...guess I just wasn't thinking about it hard enough :)

--Of course, I hardly ever RR the dauntless roll myself--save that rr for the block result--got burned a few too many times RR'ing the dauntless roll only to roll double Skulls anyway....

If you set it up right, the dauntless roll should be the determination of a 1db and a 2db your favor..not a 2db defender choice or 1db--helps to have alot of guards around ;)
I like to give my dauntless players PRO to help with those rerolls.

reservoirelves
Experienced
Experienced

Post by reservoirelves »

fen wrote:I'm pretty sure GorTex is correct in the order

This is actually how we did it in the game it came up in but there was nothing in the rules we could see that made it obvious it was FA before Dauntless instead of the other way around. What were we missing?

zephard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zephard »

Main thing I see is Declare each roll.

It would be shortest to do the Foul Appearance first, since if you fail, you don't need to roll any more if you are not using a reroll or Pro.

But as long as you are declaring what the dice rolls are before you roll them it doesn't really need to be stated.

If at first one doesn't succeed, and doesn't try again, then he will never succeed.
fen
Legend
Legend

Post by fen »

I'll admit it's not entirely crystal clear. But a big part of that is because the steps in a block aren't laid out clearly anywhere.

It breaks down something like this.
1. Declare a block with a player
2. Choose target for the block
3. Compare Strength of players
4. Add assists from each side
5. Roll the relevant number of Block dice
6. Player with higher total strength chooses the result
7. Apply result of the chosen block dice to the players

So Foul Apperance would trigger at step 2, but dauntless wouldn't trigger until step 3, when you're comparing the strengths of the players involved and dauntless notices that the target has a higher Strength.

Foul Appearance on the other hand doesn't care about Strengths involved, it's trigger occurs when the player is being targeted for a block.

With Dauntless and Foul Appearance involved it works out like this

1. Declare a block with a player
2. Choose target for the block
2a. Roll for Foul Appearance
3. Compare Strengths of players
3a. Roll for Dauntless
4. Add assists from each side
5. Roll the relevant number of Block dice
6. Player with higher total strength chooses the result
7. Apply result of the chosen block dice to the players

This is mostly me drawing from the text of the rules, no-where does the rules break down the block action into steps like this. So it's possible that Tom will point out I'm wrong in part or full. So don't take this as any solid ruling. :wink:

Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

I would. That's nice and clear and exactly how I think it should be spelled out. Good work.

Have fun!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

fen wrote:This is mostly me drawing from the text of the rules, no-where does the rules break down the block action into steps like this. So it's possible that Tom will point out I'm wrong in part or full. So don't take this as any solid ruling. :wink:
I agree with this break down ... can we fit it in the rulebook ... maybe ... something to see.

Galak/Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
reservoirelves
Experienced
Experienced

Post by reservoirelves »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
fen wrote:This is mostly me drawing from the text of the rules, no-where does the rules break down the block action into steps like this. So it's possible that Tom will point out I'm wrong in part or full. So don't take this as any solid ruling. :wink:
I agree with this break down ... can we fit it in the rulebook ... maybe ... something to see.

Galak/Tom
The wording in the skills is vague when talking about when they activate, with phrases like "wants to block" and "attempts to block". Adding the breakdown is good but I'd recommend cleaning up the language in the skill descriptions so it is obvious from them when the skill is actually used. For FA you could put in something like "..is delcared as the target of a block.." and for Dauntless say "is used when determining the attackers strength for a block against an opponent stronger than himself."