Block vs wrestle

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

kharnagex
Rookie
Rookie

Block vs wrestle

Post by kharnagex »

Did a search for this topic and didn't anything specifically discussing block vs wrestle.

On foul heavy teams, is it worth it to get block first or even at all?

My initial thoughts were hell yes, but then I got to thinking about it. Wrestle adds so much more than just on a block/blitz roll.

1. For foul heavy teams, every oponent on the pitch means more meat to foul, obvious use for wrestle.

2. Even on teams that can't really afford to foul alot, you can dictate terms alot more. Drop that blitzer trying to move you out of the way of their cage and set up a corner of it in the process and you can open that cage wide open.

3. Every opponent on the pitch means less assists on your turn for you to deal with. Again for teams that can't afford to foul alot, having less assists to worry about means an easier time of things, if only for one turn. Granted, this means that you have less chances of easy blocks but if you do it right, you can use it to your advantage.

4. And lastly and to me the most important point. If you have a whole team of wrestle, your opponent will be scared to blitz/block you like he would if you didn't because you can set up an easy score/break a cage/foulathon for your turn.

So far wrestle has proven to be a very very powerful skill for all my teams.

Reason: ''
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kharnage.png[/img][/url]
Meradanis
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Meradanis »

In my opinion, Wrestle is an good option for fast players and/or ball retrievers. Thanks to the combination of Wrestle and Strip Ball, you can steal the ball even with 2 dice against you. And if my Skaven lineman wrestles down a Block, Guard, Tackle, Stand Firm Dwarf Blocker, I'm pretty happy.

It's a bad option for slow and/or bashy teams. I don't want to see my ST4 AV9 Black Orc wrestling down a puny AV7 Skaven lineman. He'll stand up next turn and move another 4 squares, while my Black Orc has only 1 turn left after standing up. With a bashy team, I try to make as many armour rolls as possible, Wrestle on my players robs me of that opportunity. And many Strength skills are orthogonal to the usage of Wrestle, like Mighty Blow, Guard or Piling On.

Against a whole team of Wrestle players, a player with Block, Juggernaut and Mighty Blow (and optinally Frenzy or Piling On) works like hell. That is because Juggernaut cancels Wrestle on a Blitz Action, meaning I can blitz your skilled players like rookie lineman every turn !

As for the foul heavy teams, I think since fouling has been nerfed in LRB 5, it is much more tactical and no longer a thing you should do every turn. I agree what it could be a nice tactic to take down enemy key players with a Wrestle player and foul them with a Dirty Player guy. But I don't need a whole squad of Wrestle players to do this, one or two are enough.

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

I have two dwarf blockers in my team that has wrestle (one also have side step) and that makes it easier to bring down a black orc or anything strong with block skill, stand firm etc. The Side Stepping wrestler makes your opponent think twice before throwing the block, I put him where I wan't on an pushback and I wrestle the player if its a strongone.

In my skaven team I have 4 wrestle linerats. I hope for them to get next skill soon and that will be Fend. Good on the LOS.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

stashman wrote:In my skaven team I have 4 wrestle linerats. I hope for them to get next skill soon and that will be Fend. Good on the LOS.
My Slann team uses Fend / Wrestle Lineman for my LOS as well. I like the mobility it adds to the team to reposition as needed.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
kharnagex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kharnagex »

My point.

Teams that rely on fouls to do damage have another option for putting opponents into position to be fouled.

Agree that wrestle isn't for every player. Juggernaut is a concern when I use wrestle heavily on a team, its still very nice skill.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kharnage.png[/img][/url]
rvlvr
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Block vs wrestle

Post by rvlvr »

NECROMANCY!

Block vs wrestle on humans. Humans are not slow, but are they fast enough for wrestle on most linemen?

Possible kicker would take it, as they are not getting mauled on the line. How about the rest? Is there enough evidence, even anecdotal, to make a proper case for either? Any words of wisdom from heavy hitters like Jimmy Fantastic?

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I like having Wrestlers on the line, especially on defense. Makes Defense a lot easier.
(It's also great having a Wrestler to hit ball carriers, who almost always have at least Block).

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
rvlvr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by rvlvr »

Yeah, wrestle and strip ball catcher is a beautiful bird of prey. Add tackle, and it is godlike. (although wrestle and tackle is cool, too. Just seems strip ball gives better odds as sure hands don’t feature that often around these parts.)

And I guess wrestle is good on the line. Might help with secondary blocks coming in less.