Jump Up on treeman

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Lychanthrope
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lychanthrope »

longfang wrote:What if English is not your first language?
English is my first and only language and I mangle it pretty good. :oops: Noone ever said that I had to be good at it because it was my language. It was my worst subject in school and I still hate it. If I had any talent I'd learn a second language, I feel pretty strongly about that, but I can't manage the one I DO know. So, yea, I understand what you're saying. I struggle with game directions. I usally take them to my wife for clarification. Then we end up in and spat about whether it's stupid, or how bad the grammer is on an "official doc", blah blah blah. :P

Reason: ''
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Don't you speak wolf?

Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

longfang wrote:
Snew wrote:You're no help Ian. I wanted to help people start to think through some of these rules questions. If you just answer the question they'll never learn to think on their feet. :wink:
What if English is not your first language?
How does that change anything? You can still figure out what the question is and what rule it's attached to to determine how to interpret it.

Ian wrote:But then where would we be? It would be like christians being allowed to read the bible for themselves. That could only cause trouble
Just like the Christians we're here to sharpen each other and if you read something that doesn't look right, Ask another if they get the same thing from that section of the book. BUT WE NEED TO TEACH OTHERS HOW TO READ THE BOOK!

I know it was a joke but it jut fits so well into my stand on this. :P

Have fun!
Papa Sebco
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Papa Sebco »

I agree with Snew, I want him to teach us how to read the rulebook. Or, at least, how to read rulebook sentences concerning Jump Up and players who have less than three squares of movement. Cause on FranceBloodBowl forum, we are discussing about it and have two different versions, yours (Double Skulls and Snew) and another one :

With Jump up, a player "stands up for free without paying the three squares of movement". But if a player "has less than three squares of movement, he must roll 4+ to stand up". So a player with Move 2 still has to roll 4+ to stand up but, then, if he succeeds in, he will be abble to move 2 squares (+1+1 go for its if he chooses to) cause thanks to Jump up he doesn't pay 3 squares to stand up.

PS : I have no doubt that your version is the good one but I just want a clear explanation to translate it in french on FranceBloodBowl forum
PPS : concerning english not being FranceBloodBowl french coachs first language, it does have an importance. Cause these coachs have a french rulebook, translated by other blood bowl coachs who aren't professional translators (but did a very good job, thanks mates!).

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I don't think JU & the standing up section are worded very well in English - so a straight analysis of the language will be ambiguous so you can argue both ways.

However I don't feel that ambiguity is justified or that this should be a grey area in the rules. If you want a BBRC interpretation of the rules is that JU allows trees to stand up without the roll.

If you really want to argue semantics:
The only time a player can stand up is at the beginning of an Action at a cost of three squares from his movement. If the player has less than three squares of movement, he must roll 4+ to stand up
This is clear (to me at least) that the 4+ to stand up is because you can't "pay" the 3 MA to stand up.

JU skill
A player with this skill is able to quickly get back into the game. If the player declares any Action other than a Block Action he may stand up for free without paying the three squares of movement.
Clearly shows that the player needs 0 MA to get up - which a tree does so the 4+ roll isn't required.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Papa Sebco
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Papa Sebco »

Okay, that's clear enough for me, thanks a lot ! :wink:

Xeterog
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Xeterog »

Meradanis wrote:@GorTex: I think Draco was speaking of the 2+ roll needed for not taking root on the pitch. :)
Take root doesn't stop the action--just puts some very heavy limits on it :)

-Xeterog
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

I had this mental image of Darkson and Snew dressed in Robes nailing a list of outrages to the BBRC Cathedral doors

and so begins the NFL Protestant movement....

Very Martin Luther...... :roll:

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

What? When have I moaned in this thread?

(Though I do think Jump Up shouldn't be available to trees, I gave up arguing about it months ago. My rules work for us, and in our opinion are far superior to LRB 5, so that's fine. Only time I have to play LRB 5 is tourneys, and most of the time the rules that I find ridiculous aren't in effect anyway.)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Uuuugghhhh. Why must I always be lumped in with Dankson?

Have fun!
Cramy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Cramy »

Papa Sebco wrote:I agree with Snew, I want him to teach us how to read the rulebook. Or, at least, how to read rulebook sentences concerning Jump Up and players who have less than three squares of movement. Cause on FranceBloodBowl forum, we are discussing about it and have two different versions, yours (Double Skulls and Snew) and another one :

With Jump up, a player "stands up for free without paying the three squares of movement". But if a player "has less than three squares of movement, he must roll 4+ to stand up". So a player with Move 2 still has to roll 4+ to stand up but, then, if he succeeds in, he will be abble to move 2 squares (+1+1 go for its if he chooses to) cause thanks to Jump up he doesn't pay 3 squares to stand up.

PS : I have no doubt that your version is the good one but I just want a clear explanation to translate it in french on FranceBloodBowl forum
PPS : concerning english not being FranceBloodBowl french coachs first language, it does have an importance. Cause these coachs have a french rulebook, translated by other blood bowl coachs who aren't professional translators (but did a very good job, thanks mates!).
I think that language differences make a big difference. Sentence structures are different from one language to the next, hence a francophone reading something written in English might misinterpret what they read just because of the sentence structures. Some nuances in the wording may not get understood either.

And from reading posts on this forum, some people write with english words, but their sentence structures are obviously not english. I'm not pointing at anybody, this is just the way it is. I'm sure I do it as well.

Heck, even within a language there may be differences. My first language is french, and I spent some time on the francebloodbowl forum. Being in Canada, I have always played bloodbowl in English. It took me a couple of days to figure out what the heck they were talking about on the forum. The skill names are different, which is one thing, but the regional expressions are completely different. Even today, I don't always understand what they are saying. And we speak the same language (or at least we're supposed to). :)

Cramy
Cramy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Cramy »

Lychanthrope wrote:
longfang wrote:What if English is not your first language?
English is my first and only language and I mangle it pretty good. :oops: Noone ever said that I had to be good at it because it was my language. It was my worst subject in school and I still hate it. If I had any talent I'd learn a second language, I feel pretty strongly about that, but I can't manage the one I DO know. So, yea, I understand what you're saying. I struggle with game directions. I usally take them to my wife for clarification. Then we end up in and spat about whether it's stupid, or how bad the grammer is on an "official doc", blah blah blah. :P
What's a "Noone"?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. ;)

And I love the Catholic church analogy ...

Cramy
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Snew wrote:Uuuugghhhh. Why must I always be lumped in with Dankson?
Spew, it's cos you're a moody cus, so therefore must be in my gang. 8)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Darkson wrote:
Snew wrote:Uuuugghhhh. Why must I always be lumped in with Dankson?
Spew, it's cos you're a moody cus, so therefore must be in my gang. 8)
Ahhh. I see. How do you know it's not MY gang? :smoking:

Have fun!
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

if you guys had any brains you'd realise it is MY gang and I farm you out like biatches when I need to warm a thread up...

[sorry couldn't resist] :roll:

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P