A question about DODGE ( can you reroll more than once )

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

tomros
Experienced
Experienced

A question about DODGE ( can you reroll more than once )

Post by tomros »

In the description of the DODGE skill it states that the player can re-roll the d6 if he fails to dodge out of an opponents tackle zone. It also states that the player can re-roll only one failed dodge per turn.

With the way the skill description is worded the question is, can only one dodge attempt be rerolled per turn or can only one dodge attempt be rerolled with this skill per turn?

I am thinking that a second dodge attempt could be rerolled with a team re-roll but due to the dodge skills wording am not 100% sure.

Thanks for any help,
Tom

Reason: ''
[color=green]Christian Zombie Vampire[/color]
King-Nerd
Experienced
Experienced

Post by King-Nerd »

It works like this...

You can re-roll each dodge attempt once and only once. So the first failed dodge can be re-rolled with the dodge skill (as long as no tacklers about), a second failed dodge attempt can be re-rolled with a team re-roll. Or the other way round if you like, team re-roll then dodge skill (again as long as no tacklers).

Wooden spooner - Carror Crunch 2007
tomros
Experienced
Experienced

Post by tomros »

Thanks.

That was how I thought it went, I was just making sure.

[color=green]Christian Zombie Vampire[/color]
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Yeah, no roll can be re-rolled more than once by any means.... So, if you use a "personal" reroll (skill), then you can't use a Team reroll on the same roll (that's why skull/reroll/skull always gets ya :pissed: ).... By the same token (paraphrasing King-Nerd), if for some reason you use a team reroll and it fails, then you notice the player has dodge, then you can't use a personal (player skill) reroll....

The weirdest case (though it still adheres to the rules) is "Pro".... Let's say you fail a dodge and the player has Pro.... He/she/it attempts to reroll the failed dodge using Pro... Pro fails... you may only use a team reroll (in this case) to reroll the Pro roll... AND if it succeeds, then you may reroll the dodge.... :D Again, no roll was rerolled more than once.... :P

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Buggrit
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Buggrit »

Although you can't use Dodge if you're in a tackler's TZ you can still use a team ReRoll to re-roll the dodge roll, right?

G.W.A. NATION!
Most CAS Albion Coast Trophy 2 & 3 Stunty Cup Thrudball 2015 Wooden Spoon Crumb Bowl 2 & NAF Championship 2012

SAWBBL's Cutlery King
Rituro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rituro »

Buggrit wrote:Although you can't use Dodge if you're in a tackler's TZ you can still use a team ReRoll to re-roll the dodge roll, right?
Right. Even though the Dodge skill has been nullified, the ability to dodge out of a square hasn't been. It would be the same as using a Team Re-Roll to dodge a non-dodger away from someone's TZ.

The Nuln Bombers -- making amazing counter-attacks since 2507
~
Da Dead'Ard Sunz -- making orange cool again since 2510
Stalker
Rookie
Rookie

Re: A question about DODGE ( can you reroll more than once )

Post by Stalker »

Sorry for necroing an old thread but with the wording as it is, i still need an official answer or at least some way to point out the way the dodge skill is supposed to be used. My local club are convinced that, with how dodge is worded, you're only allowed one re-roll per turn if the dodge skill is used.

Browsing over the other skills to find a similar situation i noticed that dodge is a special case since it is the only thing rerollable that can occur several times during one turn. In their opinion "However, the player may only re-roll one failed Dodge roll per turn." speaks clearly for itself.

I would need something to point to, to be able to convince them otherwise. An official ruling from Galak would definitely go a long way or if there's an official FAQ that i could point to that would state how the rule is supposed to be used. "A bunch of random comments on the internet" aren't enough. This has significant impact since I've already lost a game due to the rule interpretation.

Again sorry for necroing an old thread but i guess it's better than starting a new one.

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

Stalker wrote:My local club are convinced that, with how dodge is worded, you're only allowed one re-roll per turn if the dodge skill is used.
You can only use the dodge skill once, per player, per turn, to re-roll a single dodge.

This dodge re-roll cannot be re-rolled.

Other dodges made by that player can be re-rolled with a TRR.
Stalker wrote:I would need something to point to, to be able to convince them otherwise. An official ruling from Galak would definitely go a long way or if there's an official FAQ that i could point to that would state how the rule is supposed to used. "A bunch of random comments on the internet" aren't enough. This has significant impact since I've already lost a game due to the rule interpretation.
Damn. Not Galak. Anyways,

"However, the player may only re-roll one failed Dodge roll per turn" is in the skill description... the addition "with this skill" shouldn't need to be added. Point them to the internet and do away with their rules lawyering ways.

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

you can only use the dodge skill once per action with that player to reroll a dodge

there is nothing stopping you from using a team reroll on another dodge in that same action if you so wished

your league mates are wrong ;]

Stalker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stalker »

I know they're wrong, but it still doesn't solve my problem. I'd need an official ruling of some kind, someone with authority or an official FAQ that says otherwise.

I feel like I'm asking for the moon :D

If Galak could do me the great service of bestowing upon us some words of wisdom, i could print his words out and backhand everyone at my club with them.

rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

Rule book is quite clear to me
CR.aP wrote:a coach may use a reroll to reroll any dice roll
crp wrote:a player with the dodge skill is allowed to reroll the d6 if he fails to dodge out of an opposing players tacklezone, however a player may only reroll one failed dodge roll per turn do if the player kept on moving and failed a second dodge he could not use the dodge skill again
obvious you can reeoll another dodge with a team rr not with the skill a reroll and a skill are 2 different things

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

You have my answer, that should be authority enough ;]

If they want to question my credentials then let them post

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Stalker wrote:I know they're wrong, but it still doesn't solve my problem. I'd need an official ruling of some kind, someone with authority or an official FAQ that says otherwise.

I feel like I'm asking for the moon :D

If Galak could do me the great service of bestowing upon us some words of wisdom, i could print his words out and backhand everyone at my club with them.
Sorry that it took me a bit to get her since your league mates want to hear from me ... thanks for the PM.

Okay what everyone said above is correct.

Where you league mates interpretation fails is that the Dodge skill is only talking about the Dodge skill. You can only use Dodge once per a turn ... so why doesn't it say it that way ... because if it did then people would try to suggest that you could only use it once on your opponent's turn on blocks thrown at him. So we didn't say Dodge can only be used once per a turn in the description ... instead we said it was only usuable on one Dodge per a turn.

So a player can use the Dodge skill to re-roll one Dodge per a turn and you can use a Team Re-roll to reroll one Dodge per a turn but not both on the same Dodge roll. Each player with Dodge can use the Dodge skill once per a turn on a failed Dodge roll. Stunty teams would have trouble if they could not use Dodge and then later a Team Re-roll on a different failed Dodge roll to pull off their insane stunts.

Tom Anders/GalakStarscraper

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

And if they still require a ruleing after that they should retire from blood bowl :p

Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

It helps when people read the rules and not rely on various 'interpretations'. My players have it and it can be frustrating.

3 types of rerolls
Skill reroll
Team reroll
Pro reroll

All skill rerolls can only be used once per turn/action
Team rerolls can only be used once per turn
Pro reroll can be used once per turn/action

You cannot reroll a reroll.

If you had a dodger failing to dodge he may use a dodge reroll, if he fails this roll, turn over.

If the dodger has used its dodge reroll and fails he may use a pro reroll (if he has pro) or a team reroll. If he fails this roll, turn over.

If the dodger has burned 2 rerolls he can use the last if it is available to him.

As mentioned above tackle removes the dodge skill if: you are dodging through a TZ with a tackler in it and or being blocked by a tackler then you lose the dodge/push back - stumbles result on the block dice to a down result. He could use a team reroll to get throught the tackler's TZ but if he went through a non tackler's TZ next he could use his dodge reroll as usual.

My penny's worth added.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)