New Diving Catch Query

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

New Diving Catch Query

Post by bouf »

GalakStarscraper wrote:MBBL Test list

11) Diving Catch changed to allow the player to catch bouncing balls as long as they did not bounce from their square (in addition to what it already does).
Does this mean that I can DC a dropped ball?

EG: I have Strip Ball, Diving Catch and Frenzy
I blitz your catcher (Without Sure hands) and score a pushback. Strip ball causes you to drop the ball... does that mean that I roll for scatter and end up with a 5 in 8 chance of the ball landing in a square that I can attempt a catch.

to continue...
assume the ball landed in one of the other three squares outside my DC range, because I have frenzy I can hit you again, pushback, I target the square with the ball in it causing it to scatter again, thus another 5 in 8 that is scatters to a DC square?

To continue further...
after my 2nd block, the ball scatters right on my player and I miss the catch, it then scatters right to your guy and you miss the catch… is that another 5 in 8 chance that I can try to catch again?

I guess my core question is “Does Bouncing Ball mean just that or does it mean Scattered Ball?”
:wink:

Reason: ''
~ bouf - Find me on Board Game Geek
Or find me on YouTube!
stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

Hehehehe

Diving Catch players drops ball after a strip ball opponent pushed him, well he got Diving Catch and is lucky to catch it right back!

The same for the blitzing strip ball guy that catches it beside him.

Diving Catch will make alot more useable if working like this!

bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

stashman wrote: Hehehehe

Diving Catch players drops ball after a strip ball opponent pushed him, well he got Diving Catch and is lucky to catch it right back!
You cant DC from a bounce from your own square... (assuming I have this right)

So DC & Fend isn't a counter for Strip ball.
stashman wrote: Diving Catch will make alot more useable if working like this!
Ya, I hope I'm right in my original assumptions... makes DC pretty good.

Links well with Pass Block too... I PB over to your catcher and get an intercept attempt. Miss that and you catch with a TZ penalty. If you miss that I may get a DC shot at the ball!

Or find me on YouTube!
Rituro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rituro »

stashman wrote:Diving Catch will make alot more useable if working like this!
I'm already picturing the sweet Hail Mary-Diving Catch combos if we can DC bouncing balls. :D

The Nuln Bombers -- making amazing counter-attacks since 2507
~
Da Dead'Ard Sunz -- making orange cool again since 2510
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

The goal was yes to allow Diving Catch of bouncing balls (as long as they didn't bounce from your square).

So yes you could Strip Ball and have a 5/8th chance of the catch roll.

And yes you could push a player onto the ball and have a 5/8th chance of a catch roll.

The goal was quite simply to make this a skill worth picking (which it just currently is not).

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Thanks Galak, I thought as much...

Just to clarify another point... I strip my opponent and the ball lands in a DC square. If i miss my catch it scatters off my player... Is that right?

Or find me on YouTube!
stashman

Post by stashman »

Make it Official in LRB6!

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

bouf wrote:Thanks Galak, I thought as much...

Just to clarify another point... I strip my opponent and the ball lands in a DC square. If i miss my catch it scatters off my player... Is that right?
Yes that would be correct. Ball would scatter from DC player's square if this was made official.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

galak, to clarify - is this the official rule? Fail the diving catch and the ball scatters from the dc player.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

lucifer wrote:galak, to clarify - is this the official rule? Fail the diving catch and the ball scatters from the dc player.
Absolutely.

When the skills says:
"as if it had landed in his own square"

It really does mean just that. Diving Catch causes the ball to land in his own square ... that is what those 9 words mean.

Galak

Stout Youngblood
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Stout Youngblood »

Its a great skill for my halfling team. :D

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Just to avoid any confusion, the playtest version of DC mentioned at the top of this thread never actually happened.
We're testing a different version instead.

Cheers
Martin

Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

GalakStarscraper wrote:....if this was made official....
Cheers Big G - just wanted to check as the phrase you used above put some seeds of doubt in my mind (my italicisation).

freeman108
Rookie
Rookie

New rule book

Post by freeman108 »

This is my first post to TBB so if I am doing this incorrectly please let me know so I do not do it again (I read the posting rules before posting).

I understand how diving catch works in this post and showed it to another coach in our league. He countered by saying this is an old post (starting in 2007). We are playing with the current experimental rules (for what will become LRB6) and I would like to know if diving catch can be used as posted here in the new set of rules? The other coach is basing his argument that diving catch was made to work this way to make it more desirable, but the new rules have given diving catch a +1 bonus instead of this interpretation (being able to try to pick up the ball after strip ball). Also, what is the difference between a scattered ball and bouncing ball (a short explanation without getting too far off the topic of this posting)? The other coach is also stating because the ball would be bouncing after a drop, and that is the main reason diving catch cannot be used as posted here (again according the the experimental rules for diving catch).

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I'm not sure I fully understand the question.

Under the LRB5 rules Diving Catch allows you to attempt to catch an inaccurate pass, kick off or crowd throw in that would land in an unoccupied adjacent square. It does not work on "bouncing balls" - from failed pickups, failed catches or knocked loose by strip ball or knocking the ball carrier over.

Under the proposed experimental rules Diving Catch additionally allows a +1 modifier to the catch roll for an accurate pass to the square occupied by a DC player.

I hope that clarifies the rule for you. I think you are playing it incorrectly so that you are allowing it to be used to catch "bouncing balls"

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams