Kick in PBeM

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

zephard
Veteran
Veteran

Kick in PBeM

Post by zephard »

Ok, I play exclusively by PBeM for now.

I was wondering if Kick is still valuable as a skill for the agile teams since normally you place the ball before seeing where the recieving team sets up.

I have found I seem to naturally gravitate to the High and Dark Elves, and in the past it was the first skill to give the first skill-up lineman.

But now that I am playing just PBeM, I am starting to question that assumed skill.

Reason: ''
If at first one doesn't succeed, and doesn't try again, then he will never succeed.
Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

Still valuable-even if you lose a bit of the benefit, it is still a great skill for AG teams.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

It is one of the skills that loses out somewhat in Pbem, but it's still useful.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
tchatter
Super Star
Super Star

Post by tchatter »

You can always tell your opponent that you wish to place the ball after he has setup. It just results in another exchange of emails.

I play it by ear, some opponents send turns within 10 minutes during the day others play strictly a turn per day.

FUMBBL Coach name: tchatter
Ex-Commish of REBBL
Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

I use kick all the time on the tabletop, but I've had the same loss of faith in the skill in PBeM as you. In terms of agile game-planning, kick is crucial for keeping the offence you're facing honest. Unfortunately, it's just not nearly as effective when you can't see their formation first.

In fact, my only complaint against PBeM in general is that kickoffs are simply not as strategically important since the defence nevers gets a chance to react to the offence's setup. An offensive coach doesn't have to worry about the kicking team taking a calculated risk in placing the ball in a hole in his formation, and the defensive coach can't play any mind games by loading up one side of the pitch and seeing if the offence takes his bait before he commits to placing the kick.

Spike! Magazine Major Tournament - September @ Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thunderbowl Sports Network - Head Coach of the Leaps of Faith.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Warpstone wrote:In fact, my only complaint against PBeM in general is that kickoffs are simply not as strategically important since the defence nevers gets a chance to react to the offence's setup.
Not true.

There are no rules that you have to place the ball before the offense sets up.

Tell your oppnenent that you think its important for you to place the ball for a kickoff after they set up. It just slows the game down a bit ... but we don't require it.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
zephard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zephard »

And here I was thinking that ya did require it Galak.

In fact that was stated once on the ye site, about what if the ball wasn't placed when the file was sent to you. It was about weither someone didn't want to say they had a card to play after you set up before kick-off or if you had a card that said play after kick-off, but you didn't want your opponent to know that you had such a card for there are so few of them.

So you don't place the ball, and what happens, he places it in the middle and does the kick-off.

That thread is kinda what disturbed me.

If I can just slow the game down a little by requiring the use of kick then I would do that, for half my games last 4 to 5 days if they start on monday.

If at first one doesn't succeed, and doesn't try again, then he will never succeed.
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Zephard,
I believe the difference is that if you just don't place the ball, then your opponent may assume it's a mistake and place it for you. But if you state up front that you want to use kick, then there can be no mistake.

Cheers
Martin

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

plasmoid wrote:Hi Zephard,
I believe the difference is that if you just don't place the ball, then your opponent may assume it's a mistake and place it for you. But if you state up front that you want to use kick, then there can be no mistake.

Cheers
Martin
What he said

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
zephard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zephard »

Great, then I think I will start doing that, yes, it would lead to a few more emails but at the slow rate I seem to score it wouldn't add that many more emails.

Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

zephard wrote:Great, then I think I will start doing that, yes, it would lead to a few more emails but at the slow rate I seem to score it wouldn't add that many more emails.
Agreed, I'm excited about this too. Thanks for the clarification guys.

Spike! Magazine Major Tournament - September @ Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thunderbowl Sports Network - Head Coach of the Leaps of Faith.