Elfish folks with Lots of Jump Up

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

zephard
Veteran
Veteran

Elfish folks with Lots of Jump Up

Post by zephard »

Could putting lots of Jump Up on my team cause my opponents to have to rethink their game?

Wondering if with a DE team, if I got all 4 blitzers and a couple of linemen with Jump Up, along with the 2 WEs, would the increased mobility cause my opponents to rethink their approach to my team.

Do you think it would help my team become harder to think knocking them down was enough?

Think a second skill on the them, block or wrestle first.

Reason: ''
If at first one doesn't succeed, and doesn't try again, then he will never succeed.
alternat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by alternat »

blitzers already got block, so may get jump-up
witches already got jump-up, and NEED block.
wrestle may be a good choice for a second skill for both, but I'm sure that there are some better than that. And better than jump-up, for that. Dodge, for instance, and guard, and strip ball. You could risk to "raise and run", but you have to dodge first, and one is just around the corner (unless you are filled with "mentality", the power that makes every roll successful)

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I started a DE along those lines. However I found it to be sub-optimal. Stopped after 2 linos with JU and a Witch Elf (later got a second Witch). I also have been lucky to get another 2 linos with Guard, but I still find it hard to engineer anything better than one dice blocks on a Jump Up. Without Block or Wrestle that's a 44% chance of either remaining on the ground or turning over. Indeed, the style elves play means you rarely would get to use Jump Up, as it is better suited to a grinding style.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
zephard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zephard »

I guess I was only thinking of it as half the skill, mostly about the increase mobility, not the jump up and block.

Though it would be used some to.

Dodging, after jumping up, well eventually they get dodge also, and until then its a 2+ to no TZs.

I guess my experience has been a lot of coaches have counted the squares after knocking some players down thinking they are out of blitzing range, or just getting the ball out of range, and this would stop that. All of a sudden my guys can move full distance all the time.

If at first one doesn't succeed, and doesn't try again, then he will never succeed.
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

It's better to not go down in the first place (dodge, block) or to be an a more optimal place if you do go down (side step.) I've found 3 MA is usually enough on my line elves, so I don't see a huge advantage there. It would be nice for some blitzers to have it though! But Side Step, Dodge, and Leap are better in my book. Dauntless can be useful as well.

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

Wrestle, Dodge, Jump-Up is awesome on the LOS.

Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

stashman wrote:Wrestle, Dodge, Jump-Up is awesome on the LOS.
I agree and disagree. I like the irritation factor (even more so with side step) but I find the block die comes up too rarely for Wrestle to be of great use, and putting 60k worth of skills on the line is sub-optimal. That's true even in leagues with lots of Block, I've found.

I prefer Side Stwp and Dodge on the line, or Side Step and Block (in the right leagues.) Side Step and Diving Tackle is also lethal in the right leagues. All for 20k less.

dwarfrunner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dwarfrunner »

Jural wrote:
stashman wrote:Wrestle, Dodge, Jump-Up is awesome on the LOS.
I agree and disagree. I like the irritation factor (even more so with side step) but I find the block die comes up too rarely for Wrestle to be of great use, and putting 60k worth of skills on the line is sub-optimal. That's true even in leagues with lots of Block, I've found.

I prefer Side Stwp and Dodge on the line, or Side Step and Block (in the right leagues.) Side Step and Diving Tackle is also lethal in the right leagues. All for 20k less.
I can see your point, but I think it depends on how you play the team. I have those skills on some of my Wood Elf linos and the seriously screw with my opponents. Wrestle and Jump-up is an awesome combination, if you take Side Step, then take Dodge. One combo keeps you on your feet, but the other brings your opponent down as well. Nothing screws more with your opponents tactics then blocking a lino and being taken down as well, only to watch you jump-up next turn and run away, leaving him out of position. Too be honest, if you can develop it, get both combinations on your team, gives ou flexibility.

whitetiger
Star Player
Star Player

Post by whitetiger »

4 or 5 players with Jump Up will change your opponants tactics. Wrestle and Jump Up can be a very irritating combo. Especially if that combo opens a hole right in the center of his line early in the drive and lets you put as many of your players in his backfield as he has.

It's a Dark Elf world, we just let you live in it to provide fresh victims. - and I still want an Executioner to kill sauruses with.