whats the best skills for Troll slayers???

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

fire olli
Super Star
Super Star

whats the best skills for Troll slayers???

Post by fire olli »

As the title says. I am not sure what the best skill to take for a troll slayer. I am trying to figure out what to give them for the GAME 08 tourney.

I was thinking of stand firm

Any ideas??

Reason: ''
Fondu77
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: whats the best skills for Troll slayers???

Post by Fondu77 »

fire olli wrote:As the title says. I am not sure what the best skill to take for a troll slayer. I am trying to figure out what to give them for the GAME 08 tourney.

I was thinking of stand firm

Any ideas??
Mighty blow!!!! or dodge on double ^^

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

:P Fall Dead (you overgrown stunty)! :P

In all seriousness:

Mighty Blow
Pro (re-roll failed frenzies)
Strip Ball
Juggernaut (maybe)

cyagen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by cyagen »

A Trollslayer is a CAS machine. His role is to take on big guys or to put people on the dugout of your opponent.

Mighty Blow should be the first skill
Pro the second for dauntless and Frenzy
Third one depends on how you use him and what is your opposition.
Strip Ball if you use him a lot against ball carriers.
Tackle if your league is dodge heavy (there is never enough tacklers on a dwarf team)
Piling on, to stay with the CAS machine mentality.

There are no ultimate skill combination in BB, it all depends how you play.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I'd add Stand Firm (or sidestep on doubles) to that list. Probably 2nd after mighty blow.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Xeterog
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Xeterog »

Juggernaut is great for slayers, I take it either 1st or 2nd.

If the guy you are blitzing has block, you can use juggernaut to push them back instead and get to use your frenzy, if they guy doesn't have block or if using frenzy would put you in a bad position, just don't use the skill. (but why blitz with a slayer if using frenzy would put you at a disadvantage--that is just bad planning most of the time).

My ranking
Mighty Blow
Juggernaut (sometimes I switch)
Stand Firm
Pro
Multiple block (I don't take this as much in LRB5 as you can't blitz and use it)
Strip ball (don't like this one as much for some reason--always felt frenzy accomplished a similar goal)
Pileon if you have jump up (see below)

For doubles, take side step if you haven't taken stand firm yet.
Dodge is not a bad skill for slayers (sometimes it seems I'm the only one that thinks this tho)
Jump up if you have (or intend to get) piling on. (just because you have a low agility does not make jump up useless.)

-Xeterog
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Stand Firm and Mighty Blow IMO.

SF is essential as if you are going for crowd surfs he'll often be left vulnerable. AG2 means he won't be able to escape if he does get stuck. Juggernaut is a nice extra, but it is in no way as good as SF or MB in practice.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Gimli
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Gimli »

No doubt that Mighty Blow is the first normal skill for a TS.

As for Juggernaut, I've had an MB/Juggernaut TS for about 7 games now, and have yet to really feel I've got value out of the Juggernaut. It cancelled Wrestle once, and a few times it's given me a second chance at a Block on a Frenzy (by turning a Both Down into a Push). Note as well that it can only be used when the TS is Blitzing. While that will be often the case, it would be a much more valuable skill if it could be used on normal Blocks.

In my league coaches are very side line sensitive. They rarely leave players in a position to be surfed, so the added ability to get Pushes for a crowd surf hasn't meant much.

I wish I had gone with Stand Firm, and that will probably be his next skill (Doubles - Sidestep). Alternatively, in keeping with the CAS-machine mentality, maybe Piling On?

Also, no one seems to have mentioned taking Guard on a TS. I tend to use my TS as part of a pack, and I don't see why Guard on a TS wouldn't be as valuable as it is on any other Dwarf, particularly if he could Frenzy someone to another player to get blocked.

PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

Mighty Blow, Stand Firm & then Pro/Juggernaut.

Side Step on doubles.

For a tournie, the originol question I believe, Mighty Blow

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
Xeterog
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Xeterog »

The AV 8 of a slayers makes Guard a bit less useful.

-Xeterog
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

Hmm, I would always have said Stand Firm and Mighty Blow are tied as General and Strength skills go. I typically pick Mighty Blow first hoping for a double to choose Side Step over Stand Firm. Ever since Juggernaught came along, Stand Firm is a second choice for me.

Now if you roll Side Step, it really combos well with Fend... Having your Troll Slayer pushed into the opposite half free of tackle zones means he is going to get a darn good blitz off!

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I would say Mighty Blow first and Juggernaut second.

Cheers

Smeborg

Smeborg the Fleshless
Gimli
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Gimli »

What's the best Doubles skill for a TS? Dodge - improves defence, but on an AG2 player? SS - but isn't SF better for Dwarves? (I've now got 4 SF players, and am loving it) Jump Up? But again, on an AG2 player? Maybe Sure Feet, to help with those Frenzy induced GFIs?

I'm almost of the view that on a TS you're better off ignoring a Doubles roll and sticking with the prime combat skills, i.e., MB, SF, Piling On and Tackle. Note: I am intentionally omitting Juggernaut from this list, perhaps the most overrated skill IMO. I had a MB/Juggernaut TS for 13 games (until retired due to a -1MA injury), and never found the Juggernaut skill to be of material assistance. Am mystified by the comments praising it. Yes, it helps with crowd surfs, but how often do experienced coaches leave players in position? And if you are keen on crowd surfing, surely SF has to come first?

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

[x] thread should be in the tactics section

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Sidestep is a much better skill than Stand Firm on frenzy players - because the repositioning threat is often much worse than everyone staying still.

Mighty Blow & Stand Firm would be the normal first two skills.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams