Shadowing

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Shadowing

Post by stashman »

I was just about to try a team with a couple of Shadowing players.

First have anyone have any success with shadowing players?

My strategy is to have atleast four players with shadowing. I will try and use them to shadow blocking players just to follow the opponent and try to block the squares and even getting away from being blocked by another player. Are you with me?

Three lineman on LOS with shadowing and wrestle. Opponent makes a block and gets my player prone, I try to shadow the blocking player if he follows up, just to take the square he was standing in.

Maybe not a good tactic just like doing this, but with my Dark Elf team it can be a great skill combined with side step.

Well if you have any thougths that can help me making a good deal with shadowing I will appreciate them.

Reason: ''
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

errr shadowing is great on players with high movement

at least move 7, 8 being even more worthwhile

taking it on linemen which on the whole will be move 6 of less it aint going to be great

sure you can follow up on players following up after a block around the LOS, but most of the time are you going to want to be doing that?

shadowing, sidestep and diving tackle is an evil combo, passblock after that is helpful as well

tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

Even on an MA6 player it has some value: it can cause coaches to not dodge when he would have otherwise. Which is a good thing if your player has Block and theirs doesn't, but usually on an elf team, you don't want that.

I don't think it'll work, but I'd love you to test it for us and give us the results!

stashman

Post by stashman »

Well maybe it's a bad decision but I will try it out :lol:

In my dark elf team here are the ones that will get Shadowing as next skill:

Witch Elf 7347 Frenzy, Dodge, Jump-Up, Wrestle, Side Step, Tackle (Shadowing) 34 spp

Blitzer 7349 Block, Dodge, Side Step, Fend (Shadowing) 61 spp

Blitzer 7348 Block, Dodge, Guard, Tackle, Side Step (Shadowing) 51 spp

Blitzer 7358 Block, Guard, Dodge, Leap (Shadowing) 65 spp (well maybe not on this guy)

Lineman 6348 Block, Dodge (Shadowing) 23 spp

Lineman 6348 Block, Dodge, Side Step (Shadowing) 34 spp

Hope everyone gets to live so I can see if it works :lol:

bjorn9486
Star Player
Star Player

Post by bjorn9486 »

On my human team, I had 1 blitzer that had shadowing. Instead of my opponent trying to dodge away, he would just block him away with an assist. I only had 1 opportunity to use it out of probably 10 games he had it, so I am never going to do it again.

However, if you had a couple guys with shadowing like what you want to do, I think it would be more successful.

Banelord
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Banelord »

Once I had a gutterrunner with block, sidestep, shadowing, prehensile tail and diving tackle. We called him "Imobilizer". :P Awesome player.
But for me the player must have MV 8 or 9. 7 isn't good enough.

Come to the Baden Basho!
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Banelord wrote:Once I had a gutterrunner with block, sidestep, shadowing, prehensile tail and diving tackle. We called him "Imobilizer". :P Awesome player.
But for me the player must have MV 8 or 9. 7 isn't good enough.
[x] needs passblock and tackle

;]

Wylder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wylder »

Passblock, yes. Tackle I can't really see the point of.

He's already providing a -3 to dodge away from. A dodge reroll isn't really going to save anyone there. Even if they do get away, he can use shadowing to force them to make more dodge rolls.

Realistically, the number of instances where tackle would matter are really very small.

Cramy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Cramy »

Tackle is still useful in this case, especially at the end of the game when your opponent has run out of rerolls. But would be taken after many other skills.

This would be my pre-requisite for giving Shadowing to a player.

Player first needs MA8-9, Block, Dodge, Side Step, Diving Tackle. After that Shadowing makes sense. The Human Blitzer problem that was mentioned can be avoided if the player has Block, Dodge and Side Step (not all the time, but most of the time). If the player is ST3, then even better, but not critical. Diving Tackle is way more effective at making opponents not dodge than Shadowing. (I can attest to that, as I played my Goblins against Slann in a tournament, and the Slann Blitzers were a real pain).

Once the player has those skills, then Pass Block and Tackle are good. Pass Block could be taken before Shadowing if your league passes a lot. On a GR, Prehensile Tail would be better than Tackle.

On GRs and most Catchers (Wood Elves, High Elves, Elves and Human), can all develop such defensive players. I would recommend that actually.

On Dark Elves, not so much. But really interested in seeing how it turns-out though. Keep us posted.

Cramy