Just how good is Stab?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

ok, had my next game, which was against Norse on wednesday, so another av7 team

I managed to get to attempt 3 stabs during this game, failed them all again

Reason: ''
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

And that's why I dislike stab :) the odds of three stabs against AV 7 players doing nothing? 20%. Way too high of odds (considering this is the best possible opponent!

Still, no turnovers, so the waste isn't catastrophic!

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Won yet another game with my Hobgoblins, this time against Lizzies, thanks to Rashnak.

He was far from spectacular (probably below average), but in the first 4 turns of the game (my receive) he made 4 stabs. 2 failed, but the other 2 KOd 2 Skinks. This "frontloading" of the successful stabs was enough to win me the game, as it allowed me to win the drive, and gave me a small, but steadily increasing numbers advantage for the rest of the game.

Bearing in mind that I had no Block, no Tackle and no Dirty Player, Rashnak was by far the easiest way to remove players. He was a bit lucky to survive well into the game, but otherwise I would say that he was nothing special. His Dodge was handy at times.

I took Rashnak in preference to a Wizard, as I didn't see the Wizard working that well against such a fast team. It is quite rare for me not to take the Wizard when I can.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

Lizardmen are the best people to use stab against. Chainsaws also. The risk vs. reward is better (dodge makes the odds of a knockdown lower, STR 2 makes the hit back less likely to come.)

Closely followed by gutter runners, any developed elf team, and Amazons.

The Star players are a good investment for stab, kudos for seeing your way into the better use of inducement cash! I still don;t think the rostered assassin is a good investment though.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

OK next game vs Pro Elves

9 stabs 5 fail 4 worked inc 2 casualties

that is more like it

think it becomes more useful the more players you get of the other team off the pitch and you can then box opponents in against the assassin to get more use out of it

until he gets sidestep/jumpup

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I think you just have to use it a lot to give it a chance to work, and trust that it will.

I was alerted to this by a coach (not very experienced) who had something like 29 successful stabs (armour penetrations) from a single Assassin in 5 games. The other Assassin had some successes, too. It is rather unlikely that these stats were achieved by playing "normal" BB.

A characteristic of the Dark Elf team is that it does not have natural "Catchers" - there is some encouragement to spread the TD SPPs around a bit - including to the Assassins.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Just to add a contrary view to my own (!).

I played my first tournament games against Stabbers (EucBowl in Sydney). I was playing Nurgle.

The first game was against a Slann team with Hemlock. He went into battle rather unsupported, so I threw as many 3-dice blocks against him as possible. As soon as he went down, I fouled him, and was fortunate to get a CAS. End of Hemlock.

In another game against a lone Dark Elf Assassin, I used a lone (unskilled) Rotter to block the Assassin, following up pushes (one or two) until I got a knockdown and a foutunate CAS.

However, I don't feel that either Stabber was a great roster choice in a tournament, and both could have been supported better. Also, if taking Assassins (I don't think I would in a tournament), I suggest you need to go the whole hog and take 2.

Hope this helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Catt
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Catt »

The assassin my Dark Elf team has been highly effective.

But you have to be careful because stabbing players tend to get targeted heavily by vengeful opponents!

The best thing about them is you get a chance to get a casualty without risking a turnover.

When I kick off I find placing my assassin behind the line of scrimage makes people hesitate before following up any blocks against my frontline. Kind of like a poor man's fend.

Old Buzzard Bilbo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Just how good is Stab?

Post by Old Buzzard Bilbo »

I have just run a Dk Elf team for 2 seasons. (24 games.)
I needed 2 assassins in that time. The 1st died with a limp :smoking:

They get beaten up regularly if you put them where they do most damage. So both ended up MV5 !)
Only ever got 1 skill & I unimaginatively took block. :oops:
They regularly stabbed trolls, Kroxogor and Ogres.
A skaven team to stab would have been a treat :lol:
The most satisfying blitz is when he dodges into an Orc cage (5+) stabs the ball carrying goblin and allows his oppos to make off with the ball.

Bill.