Diving Catch, +1 to Hand Offs?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: Diving Catch, +1 to Hand Offs?

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Kort wrote:You seem to value Diving Catch much higher than I do. Right now, I would probably rank it as on of the worst AG skills, just above Sprint (and Leap for AG3 players). That being said, I could be totally wrong. I would definitely like to hear about successful and systematic uses of Diving Catch.
I'm thinking you never listen to the Three Dice Block (3DB) podcasts ( http://www.threediceblock.com ). They have talked at length about the value of Diving Catch.

Diving Catch is a Tier 1 skill for AG 3 teams with Throwers and Catchers (so namely ... Human, Amazon and Norse ... but especially Humans). On these teams Diving Catch greatly expands their ability to do a passing game. It was not designed for AG 4 catchers or teams without a player with P access and another with A. So saying it is Tier 4 for Skinks is right ... because it was not made for them. However for the teams that it was made for ... its a skill that I've seen many Human Catchers take as their first skill.

Galak

Reason: ''
Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Grumbledook wrote:the change was made both to make it a more desirable skill choice and also to try and get more passing into the game, whilst giving a boost to AG3 players

2+ hand offs in a tackle zone for AG4 players would be sick and verging on broken for a skill they can take without needing a double
By the way ... I fully agree with Grum that it would be pretty much a broken skill in my opinion if it worked on Hand-offs.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Kort wrote:You seem to value Diving Catch much higher than I do. Right now, I would probably rank it as on of the worst AG skills, just above Sprint (and Leap for AG3 players). That being said, I could be totally wrong. I would definitely like to hear about successful and systematic uses of Diving Catch.
I'm thinking you never listen to the Three Dice Block (3DB) podcasts ( http://www.threediceblock.com ). They have talked at length about the value of Diving Catch

<snip>

However for the teams that it was made for ... its a skill that I've seen many Human Catchers take as their first skill.

Galak
Gotta be that or Block, and I prefer to have the assist when I'm being hit, rather than Diving Catch's benefits, which generally come second if I'm developing my team as an aerial one.

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
Kort
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kort »

I am still not totally convinced that this change would really unbalance the game, but there are very compelling arguments against. I will listen to the podcast about Diving Catch. Thanks for your time !

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Diving Catch is a Tier 1 skill for AG 3 teams with Throwers and Catchers (so namely ... Human, Amazon and Norse ... but especially Humans). On these teams Diving Catch greatly expands their ability to do a passing game. It was not designed for AG 4 catchers or teams without a player with P access and another with A. So saying it is Tier 4 for Skinks is right ... because it was not made for them. However for the teams that it was made for ... its a skill that I've seen many Human Catchers take as their first skill.
I agree with Galak in practice. I have taken Diving Catch on Human Catchers as first skill (in a league) to excellent effect, as have others coaches in our league. Combined with Accurate on one or more Throwers, it gives you a 2+ to 2+ passing game (both with re-rolls), giving you a poor man's Elven team.

Taking Diving Catch on Human Catchers in a tournament does not work, however (I tried it!). But in a league, it is a great first skill.

The team that benefits most from the revision to the Diving Catch rule is Slann (because it enables them to catch an Accurate Pass in a TZ on a 2+). Next to benefit IMO is Humans. After that I would guess 'Zons. In joint 4th come Norse and Orcs (for a passing game to Gobbo receivers with Catch, Diving Catch, Sidestep - I have seen this work well in practice). Apart from Slann, who start with the skill, these are all AG3 teams with Catcher types. Of course, you have to want to develop a passing game for the team in the first place (which may not be the case with Norse, for example, where the Runners make excellent, erm, Runners).

It is hard to make the case for taking the skill on the AG4 teams, with, I suggest one exception. I think that would be Wood Elf Catchers (because they start with both Catch and Dodge, unlike all other AG4 Catcher types). With Diving Catch, the WE Catchers would be able to catch an Accurate Pass in a TZ (in the Slann style, but better, because of Pass and Catch re-rolls). Then they could dodge away. Also good in pouring rain or against Disturbing Presence.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless