Looney skill progression

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Mighty Blow skill description last sentence - "Mighty Blow cannot be used with the Stab or Chainsaw skills."

I'd take Dirty Player. 'saws don't live long anyway and he's unlikely to skill up again so you may as well have fun.

Reason: ''
Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Marlow
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Marlow »

Block keeps you alive longer, Dirty Player gets more opponents off the pitch.

If it is a long term leage I would take Block, if you only get a dozen games and then scrap the team take DP.

Ne cede melia, Marlow.
Trophies: MBBL Dungeon Bowl Season Nine; Boudica Bowl IV Stunty Cup
Leicester Blood Bowl League - http://www.leicesterbbleague.com/
Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

DP-if you want a block Looney, induce Nobbla.

He's very, very unlikely to skill up again-MVPs and a very small possibility of a CAS from someone failing their block against him. I had a Looney who actually got a double 6 on his skill up roll and I took the DP. He got 3 MVPs pretty quickly and then just didn't get one again before I retired the team (cos the TR got too high and I couldn't win without inducements).

Can't say I agree with Joe saying that a block, side-stepping Looney won't get blocked for fear of the return saw attack-high AV players will take the risk of the return saw attack so they can hit back, low AV, (high AG) players would just blitz him then dodge away.

A saw will always be a target whatever you give them imo.

zephard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zephard »

Rimmer wrote:My reason for wrestle is that a looney is a primary target of blocks and blitzes and while a looney with block will still be standing that also means that he may be hit more than once in the same turn.

It is better to down facing a plain AV roll from a Foul than to fall over and have a AV roll where the opponent has +3. Further more a foul may end your opponents turn and he ends up one player less on the field.
Rimmer, thats decently sound logical thinking there. Humm.

If at first one doesn't succeed, and doesn't try again, then he will never succeed.
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

with Doubles:
Depends on which version you are playing

LRB 5++/6
No doubt BLOCK, you can skill up again scoring touch downs throwing passes ect (even the odd interception) because he does not suffer from the skill "no hands"
Throw this bad boy in a crowd and scare the shingles out of your opponent then get him the ball if he survives that melee SCORE!!!!!!! (kind of like a halfling or goblin with jump up) except for a -3 to the hat bounce

LRB 5
DIRTY PLAYER
knock anyone down with your troll or clan of goblins
"Time to fire up the grill boys we are having Chaos Warrior steaks" and he can do that with no assist

he is 40K, have fun and do not worry about what will happen to him or any goblin for that matter, THEY'RE GOBLINS! you cannot get too far ahead of yourself
Pick a role for him and stick to the role
Is he a reserve fouler
Is he a pit fighter
Do not worry about when he will suffer that carrier ending SI or DEAD result because it will happen

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Wanchor
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wanchor »

Thanks for the input, guys. Everyone mentioned the same three choices as I had considered, so that speaks to how well I've gotten a grip on the situation (and how limited the options are). Unfortunately, I couldn't access the forum between posting my last reply and playing last night's game, so I went with Wrestle after all. Rimmer's reasoning is basically the same as my own for taking it, with the added point that it happens often that an opponent will send a lone blitzer after him, hoping to take him out with a two-die, 50%-likelihood-for-each-die, +3-to-the-AV-roll block. Taking another player out to throw the foul against him means drawing more away from the action and risks ejection. If he won't foul him, I could just get up next turn and foul the blitzer myself with the +3.

tl;dr - ends the happy circle, suggests strongly to the opponent to devote more manpower to taking him out, risks ejection to do it.

As it happens, he was having a pretty solid game last night after the ref had been 'gotten' on the first kick-off of the game, and considering that my league has voted back in the 'old' rules for it from LRB5 as opposed to the less drastic experimental version, I was able to blitz and foul with impunity until about the last turn, when he was blitzed down and then gang-fouled. He'll be missing his next game, but no combination of dodge, block or wrestle could have prevented that.

landrover
Legend
Legend
Location: Reffing at a tourney near you. Bribery preferences start with sweets....

Post by landrover »

You're not allowed Wrestle on a Ball & Chain player:

From Ball & Chain Skill Description:
If the player is ever Knocked Down or Placed Prone
roll immediately for injury (no Armour roll is required). Stunned results for
any Injury rolls are always treated as KO’d.

Or to phrase it another way:

If you take Wrestle on a B&C player, every time you activate Wrestle, he's off the pitch, and at a minimum KO'd.

You may wish to update your roster. :-?

Squad Chaos captain.
Thrudball co-organiser.
Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Blammaham »

landrover wrote:You're not allowed Wrestle on a Ball & Chain player:

If you take Wrestle on a B&C player, every time you activate Wrestle, he's off the pitch, and at a minimum KO'd.

Ummmm, the player in question SEEMS to have a chainsaw. Did you read the thread? It helps. :P S.

Outstanding painting. Spike 2009!
landrover
Legend
Legend
Location: Reffing at a tourney near you. Bribery preferences start with sweets....

Post by landrover »

Blammaham wrote:

Ummmm, the player in question SEEMS to have a chainsaw. Did you read the thread? It helps. :P S.
So sue me, I've had a looooong day. :-?

Anyway, found this under LRB6 for chainsaws:
A running chainsaw is a dangerous thing to carry around, and so if a
player holding a chainsaw is Knocked Down for any reason, the
opposing coach is allowed to add 3 to his Armour roll to see if the player
was injured.

I would argue that wrestling your opponent to the ground when you're carrying a chainsaw is equally likely to injure yourself as well as the opponent. So despite getting it epically wrong earlier, I still argue that wrestle shouldn't be able to be taken on a Looney. :D

Squad Chaos captain.
Thrudball co-organiser.
Wanchor
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wanchor »

Good thing you don't decide for everyone, then.

It's come up a few times since getting it and I don't regret my choice at all. Wrestle allowed him to get up and throw a very important blitz just tonight. Way better than block.

Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Blammaham »

landrover wrote:
Blammaham wrote:

So sue me, I've had a looooong day. :-?

Anyway, found this under LRB6 for chainsaws:
A running chainsaw is a dangerous thing to carry around, and so if a
was injured.

I would argue that wrestling your opponent to the ground when you're carrying a chainsaw is equally likely to injure yourself as well as the opponent. So despite getting it epically wrong earlier, I still argue that wrestle shouldn't be able to be taken on a Looney. :D
Heh! I was just kidding with that other post, its a mistake I've made several times :D Just trying to be a smart a$$. But I like wrestle on a Loonie because if you go down because of wrestle there is NO armour roll to add +3 to. In other words he just isn't knocked down mearly Uhhh.."wresled"? down. I'll give you that if I were carring a chainsaw in real life I sure wouldn't think of wresling with it but it makes great sence in the game.S.

Outstanding painting. Spike 2009!
khudzlin
Experienced
Experienced

Post by khudzlin »

you can always house rule that when wrestling involves a chainsaw, then both players make armour rolls

because if you house rule that looneys can't use the skill, nothing would stop other players from wrestling them

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

be careful what you wish for

"A running chainsaw is a dangerous thing to carry around, and so if a
was injured. However blocking a player with a chainsaw is equally
dangerous, if an opponent knocks himself over when blocking the
chainsaw player
then add 3 to his Armour roll."

This can be argued to work with wrestle also as there is a block and both down result is chosen ....
Blocking player blocks picks both down, wrestle player counters both end up down in a heap and shucks there was a chainsaw between them

of course you could say that the blocking player technically did not knock himself over but he did when he rolled both down (as the wrestle skill counters the block skill

("knocked down for any reason" counters wrestle's "Do not make Armour rolls")

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Of course, seeing as Wrestle specifically says the player is "placed prone" and not "knocked down", there's no risk, and no arguement.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

Darkson wrote:Of course, seeing as Wrestle specifically says the player is "placed prone" and not "knocked down", there's no risk, and no arguement.
Although I quite enjoyed the discussion that strayed from teh path, this is correct.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else