Piling On

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Piling On

Post by Aliboon »

Hello all,

I had a bit of a search, but couldn't find the answer I'm afraid.

If you chose to use Piling On, do you have to go with the 2nd roll, or could you chose to have the first roll? Reading through the skill it just says you may chose to reroll the AV or INJ roll and I would assume that you would have to go with the 2nd roll, but I'm not 100% sure.

A good case would be if you passed the AV roll and got a KO, it's good and probably not worth the risk of just having a stun if you rerolled it, but if you could keep it and have the chance of the CAS, it would be worth rerolling.

Reason: ''
Carnis
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Carnis »

Gotta go with the second roll. It's not written into the skill, but it's the same with all rerolls. If you reroll an inaccurate pass with the pass skill, and roll a fumble on the reroll its still a fumble, you cant go back.

If you roll a KO on the first half, and already have a significant man advantage, or have the MB skill unused, it can often be worth it to reroll KOs too. Still, you sometimes end up stuffed and get a stunned result instead. Stunned isn't that bad though if you're looking for CAS, you can foul him next turn!

Oxynot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oxynot »

Piling On reroll is just like any other reroll. You have to take the new result even if it's worse that what you started with.

In essence you have a roll, and if you choose to reroll it, the old roll is disregarded and the new one stands. No backsies.

In the rulebook chapter Re-rolls page 14:
The result of the new roll must be accepted in
place of the first, even if it is worse.
Though it is written in the part for team re-rolls, it applies. So technically you could argue it, but I would not advise it :) Then you could start ignoring pass rerolls if they ended up in a fumble instead of a inacccurate pass etc.

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

Thanks, it is one of those things which I'd always thought was the case, without really knowing why (same with player rerolls). It would be a very bad case of rules lawyering to argue that because the text says that the new roll must apply only appears in the team reroll section, then you would get to chose with player rerolls!

funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

Phew I almost thought I read that you could reroll the piling on roll! That would be crazy:)

khudzlin
Experienced
Experienced

Post by khudzlin »

the only time you get to keep the original result when you reroll is with the apo, because it's specifically mentioned

for all other rerolls, you have to go with the new result

Popper
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Piling On

Post by Popper »

Sorry for the partial thread-necro, but i thought it was best to keep questions on the same skill in one thread.

I'm considering taking Piling on for my kroxigor (if he doesn't roll doubles), but I'm having a hard time figuring out how the rule actually works.

Must i declare "piling on" once the enemy player goes down - before any armor penetration rolls have been made

or

Can I choose to use Piling on after the first AV and injury rolls have been made.

The rules for the skill only say that it can be used after the player has made a block/blitz. Unlike the Mighty blow rules, which specify that it can be used after a roll has been made.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

All skills can be used after seeing the dice roll

it says that in the rules, can't recall which page off the top of my head tho

Popper
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Popper »

ah, right. Found it on page 14 of the LRB5 & Competition rules pdf.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Popper wrote:Can I choose to use Piling on after the first AV and injury rolls have been made.
Not quite.

Roll AV.
Decide to use Piling On or not.
If you Break AV, roll Injury.
If you didn't use PO on the AV roll, you can use it on the Injury roll.

You don't roll both AV and Inj before PO.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.