Pass or Accurate

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

gamesvaultsteve
Veteran
Veteran

Pass or Accurate

Post by gamesvaultsteve »

Hi there,

I am currnetly playing Undead in our shop league.

I skilled up on a Wight and rolled a double.

What would be better to take, pass or accurate.

I am looking to change my style of play for the team as at the moment I have a ghoul that has a massive amount of skills as well as +1St and I use him to run/blitz the ball in.

This is great but my team is a one trick pony at the moment and all the other teams in my league are out to kill him. So I need to develop another option.

Thanks

Steve

Reason: ''
gamesvaultsteve
rodders
Legend
Legend

Re: Pass or Accurate

Post by rodders »

GUARD

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK
gamesvaultsteve
Veteran
Veteran

Ha ha ha ha ha,

yes that has crossed my mind already, both my mummys have guard.

And I am looking change my style of play. I suppose I can run the Wight up with the Ghoul if I give him guard....

gamesvaultsteve
gamesvaultsteve
Veteran
Veteran

I took guard.....

:D :D :D

Decided it was a waste to try and turn a blitzer into a passing player.

gamesvaultsteve
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Guard is the only sensible choice, though this section is about skill rules and use questions, you should post skill selection choices in the tactics sections ;]

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

gamesvaultsteve - the most successful team I ever ran in a league was an Undead team in which I developed the Wights for a passing game. Their first 19 games were wins, opponents were as strong as I have played anywhere. This was a long time ago (3rd Ed.), but I think the strategy ought to be at least as successful in 6th Ed.

My idea for the Ghouls was to develop all 4 as Blitzers (they went Block, Sidestep, Tackle - nowadays I would take Wrestle instead of Block). I find Ghouls work well as a pack, and if you develop them all in the same way, you do not need to care about losing them.

The idea behind developing the Wights as passers was based on their much greater survivability (3 times better than Ghouls), as well as their improved chances of returning from the dugout during a game. The Wights got Sure Hands first, then one of them got +1AG, the other got Accurate. Now that Wights get ST access, you would have the luxury of adding Strong Arm, plus at some point you could also give them Kick-off Return.

This team was particularly good at scoring in 2 turns when required (rather common in BB). It was also very effective in counter-attack: the Ghouls popped the ball loose, and a Wight would heft it upfield for a quick score.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

was that when you got 4 wights though

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

No, Grum, it was way back when you had 2 Wights (original 3rd Ed. roster). The later 4 Wight roster was a bit daft, because you could field just one Zombie. You had Vampires as well at some point.

I made the post because it is the sort of strategy people rarely try. I happened to try it because I was uninfluenced by other Undead coaches at the time, and it turned out to be easily my most successful league team ever.

I just hope at least one other coach out there might try it one day!

Smeborg the Fleshless
Cirrus the Blue
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Cirrus the Blue »

Personally, I would've taken Dodge on a Wight for doubles instead of Guard which is just basic for them. :P Then again, I enjoy speed and mobile versatility on my Necromantic team and my Wights are running around making Blitzes instead of giving support in scrums. Most of the support they tend to make is in the open and doesn't require Guard. ;) If they're staying put, however, Guard should be a good choice, regardless. Still, hope he sees another doubles in his career!

On a side note for Passing access on doubles, consider Hail Mary. It's wonderful, and always works on a 2+ no matter what.

- Cirrus

gamesvaultsteve
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks guys, great advice.

Will keep you posted as the team progresses.

Steve :D

gamesvaultsteve