Thick Skull - Mandatory?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Cirrus the Blue
Experienced
Experienced

Thick Skull - Mandatory?

Post by Cirrus the Blue »

So, I've searched as well as I could using the engine to no avail, so I thought I'd ask here. Is the skill Thick Skull mandatory to be used each and every time, or is it optional? Rather, does it automatically work even if the player doesn't want it to?

The other night, I had a game vs my buddy's Slaan team and positively ROLLED him!! So, after punching armor close to the end of the match on his Krox, he rolled an 8 which we all know would normally be Stunned due to Thick Skull. Since I throttled him, I didn't mind that he 'chose not to use' the skill and sent him to the KO box because he didn't want his Krox to be fouled for the last couple of turns, which is fully understandable. But we're both wanting to make positive about the rule for future reference if in fact you get to choose whether or not to use it. Cheers!

- Cirrus

Reason: ''
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Re: Thick Skull - Mandatory?

Post by Grumbledook »

all skills are optional to use apart from negative traits, frenzy and loner

thick skull is fine to not use

Cirrus the Blue
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Cirrus the Blue »

Great! Thanks so much for the fast response! We had a feeling that's the way it was, but weren't completely sure about it and thought it best to make positive. Cheers! :D

- Cirrus

Nisque
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nisque »

Really? So a player can just stop having a thick skull?
that makes no sense at all.

Or is it just me?

Nichren
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nichren »

No more than rolling interception before the throw...the rule(s) just cleans up play to make faster.

Nisque
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nisque »

No no no. Not at all the same.
The rule for getting to choose if Thick Skull is active or not is whack. Utterly and compleatly. It don't speed up/slow down the gameplay.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Nisque - as the rules currently stand, the use of the Thick Skull skill is entirely optional.

I think I have at least once chosen not to use Thick Skull in order to protect a player (the result was not in doubt, I was well down in player numbers, and my best player was getting fouled repeatedly). I can imagine that it would be common for a Halfling player to do the same sort of thing with his Trees.

I hear what you are saying, but sometimes you need to take a step back and realise that the rules need to be written as a "system", which will sometimes produce results that are not entirely "realistic".

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Ullis
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ullis »

If it helps, you can imagine the Thick Skull player acting in order to get off the pitch.

The Painted Goblin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by The Painted Goblin »

I was just gonna say the same.....if you take a hit near the end of the match which would KO most players, what's wrong with play-acting to get off the pitch?

This week, I will be mostly painting.....Dwarven Warriors (WHFB)

What the photon is PHOTON?
Insane_Prophet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Insane_Prophet »

Besides, the Thick Skull skill doesn't have any fluff in its entry, compared to saw Claws, so it's not necessarily explicit about what the skill implies.

Sure, it's a little odd to imagine that a player could suddenly "stop" having a Thick Skull, but is it that much stranger than the fact that a player can "learn" it as a skill?

Like others have said, just see it as the player acting extra groggy to take taken off the pitch. Or, since it's the coach's decision, see it as the coach removing the player from the pitch as unfit to play.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Well, since it is a skill that can be learned, he doesn't actually have a thick cranium.
He is just able to grit his teeth and suck up the pain.
Or he can decide not to fight it and just go unconscious like everyone else :orc:

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
alternat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by alternat »

if skeletons suck up the pain, it runs down their spine and then drips to the ground from the pelvis.

Nisque
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nisque »

Right right..
I get it now.
I was just a little perplexed.. But now it all makes sense..
I was wrong and I apologise.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Nisque - there is nothing to apologise for. Your question was good and interesting, as was your point of view.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless