Leap with GFI

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

gandresch
Experienced
Experienced

Leap with GFI

Post by gandresch »

Hi,

short question:
If a player leaps, does he have to roll for the gfi before the leap, if his movement isn't enough for the +2 movement from the leap or does he roll for the leap and then roll for the gfi.
The intention behind this is, that a player who doesn't leap can't move the 2 squares from leap, if he doesn't succeed in the gfi and falls down in the square he started the leap. Otherwise he stumbles and falls down in the field, the leap goes to.

If tend to version 2 "first leap and then see if he get's there and succeeds in the gfi".

Greetz,
gan

Reason: ''
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Re: Leap with GFI

Post by daloonieshaman »

Always roll GFI before an action such as leap or blitz, dodge, ect

I do not know if you can GFI x 2 to make a leap at the end of your normal movement
(Be cool though ....
Bob did you see that play?
Yes I did Jim, The Halfling, Potatoes, ran his heart out then leaped over the defensive line for a touchdown!

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Here's my read:

On a normal gfi, you move to the square, roll the gfi, then fall in the square moved to if failed.... The only exception I know of is in blitzing and you fail gfi to make the blitz square... it being occupied, you fall in the square prior to the blitz square....

So...

In using a double gfi to make a leap square, if either roll failed, you'd fall down in the final square being leapt to....

Not an official source... but feels right....:
LRB6 wrote:On a roll of 1 the player trips up and is Knocked Down in
the square that they moved to
< my emphasis....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

gandresch wrote:Hi,

short question:
If a player leaps, does he have to roll for the gfi before the leap,
Don't have CRP with me. The answer to this exact question is answered in the FAQ if someone could quote it to the thread.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

The wording of the CRP FAQ (p.77) is:

Q: Can you Go For it (GFI) to Leap?
A: yes. Place the player in the square targeted by the Leap skill and then make the GFI roll (or "rolls", if you need two). If you fail a GFI roll, knock the player down in the new square to which he was leaping. The opposing coach makes an Armour roll as usual.

This seems to imply that you roll for the GFI(s) before you roll for the Leap (although this is not explicitly stated).

The main GFI wording is found on p.20 of the CRP. It explains the sequence for GFI when Blitzing, saying that you roll for GFI after declaring a Block but before making it. Apart from this wording and the above FAQ, I believe that the practice of rolling for GFI(s) before making other rolls is merely a convention among players (and a good one, too), but has never been a rule as such.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
gandresch
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gandresch »

Sorry,

i knew it is written somewhere, but i didn't know where :roll:

Thank you for that!

Greetz,
gan

alternat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by alternat »

it doesn't matter.
if you fall either one of the GFI rolls or the leap roll, the outcome is the same: you fall in the square you are leaping to.
so, you just need to declare which roll are you rolling, just to check if they are successful or not.

Teydyn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Teydyn »

alternat wrote:it doesn't matter.
Only if you do NOT have Sure Feet. If you have SF and have to roll the Leap first, fail, use a Team-RR and then fail the GFI you "wasted" a Team-RR you could have saved if you could roll the GFI first. And how can you make the Leap if you dont have the movement to do it? GFI first.

alternat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by alternat »

Teydyn wrote:
alternat wrote:it doesn't matter.
Only if you do NOT have Sure Feet. If you have SF and have to roll the Leap first, fail, use a Team-RR and then fail the GFI you "wasted" a Team-RR you could have saved if you could roll the GFI first.
in any case, you have to declare what are you rolling, and apply the relevant modifiers or skills.
it's up to you to choose which roll is best suited to be rolled first.
And how can you make the Leap if you dont have the movement to do it?
and how can you intercept if the the ball has yet not been thrown? :lol:

Arklite
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Arklite »

of course the way to "abuse" this trick would be to (in desparation of course) make a suicide leap onto the ball with the hopes of knocking it off the pitch or block a sidecages progress with a wall of stunned/knocked down players in contact with the ball carrier :P