Jump up + Wrestle

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

AGF
Rookie
Rookie

Jump up + Wrestle

Post by AGF »

Hello,

We had a discussion last week end in a tournament and nobody could find a clear answer (add to roll a D6 to decide what to do).

Here's the situation:

A player with wrestle and jump-up blitzes. He uses wrestle to bring my player down, then the coach tells me he can get up right away and resume moving since his player has the jump up skill.

I disagreed, we looked in the rule book, asked the tournament ref, and nobody could demonstrate for sure it wasn't allowed (even if most people asked believed it wasn't possible).

Here's what the rule says:
A player with this skill is able to quickly get back into the game. If the player declares any Action other than a Block Action he may stand up for free without paying the three squares of movement
I read it as "jump-up is used when the player declare his action (at the beginning of his turn), if he lays on the ground in the middle of his turn, he cannot use jump-up since he is not declaring an action"

We rolled a dice, I lost and my opponent used jump-up as he wished, No big deal, I don't think it would have changed the outcome of the game, but I'd like to know exactly who was right.

Thanks

Reason: ''
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: Jump up + Wrestle

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Page 11 of the CRP:
The only time a player can stand up is at the beginning of an Action at a cost of three squares from his movement.
The very key word here that I added when I wrote LRB 5.0 on purpose in the above is only. Jump Up does not have any text overriding the only time that standing up is allowed.

If Jump Up allowed you to stand up at some other point in the turn it would have wording like "Jump Up will also allow a player to stand up after being Placed Prone after the beginning of his action."

That is the type of text that would needed to be in the skill to override the "only" on page 11. That override isn't in the Jump Up skill so the end result:

you were right ... your opponent was wrong.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Karl Lagerbottom
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Karl Lagerbottom »

Tom-
Thanks for the clarification...I am the (unintentionally) cheaty git that did this with a Wardancer.

This happened during our game one, and I found the answer later in the day on the Cyanide Bb Forum.

-RobO

AGF-
I had told Jamie and Norse when I found this, but had forgotten to swing back by to tell you as well. I am sorry for the confusion. (Although other than getting the wardancer off the turf sooner than he should have, I don't think it impacted our game. That said, it is worth knowing for sure for future reference.)

Thanks for a fun game. -RobO

P.S. I may see you up there in June. :)

Karl Lagerbottom - Dwarf Blocker of Renown
NAF Member #5236
---
[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/index.php?module=NAF&type=tournamentinfo&uid=5236]My Tourney History[/url]
AGF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AGF »

Thanks

I know it didn't have much impact on our game, I just wanted to know :)

Karl Lagerbottom
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Karl Lagerbottom »

Yup...havin a WarDancer be able to do this would make him even more annoying than he already is.

Also, just so you know...he was out of the next game by Turn 2....so Kharma and stuff.

Karl Lagerbottom - Dwarf Blocker of Renown
NAF Member #5236
---
[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/index.php?module=NAF&type=tournamentinfo&uid=5236]My Tourney History[/url]
Ullis
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ullis »

I remember someone trying this with Piling On too.