Hypnotic Gaze & Tentacles ... did I get another rule wrong??

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Hypnotic Gaze & Tentacles ... did I get another rule wro

Post by Khail »

So you're telling me that we skip right past "the end of the move action" when tentacles ends the action? (note: it doesn't cancel the action as you stated, it ends it).

Both skills use the word end. One of them tells you what you can do at the end of the move action, the other tells you to end the action. Why do you keep insisting that ending the action interrupts the action so you skip past the end of the action? That's ridiculous.

Reason: ''
Commissioner of the Cascadia Blood Blowl League
Bellingham, WA USA
Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

Khail wrote:So you're telling me that we skip right past "the end of the move action" when tentacles ends the action? (note: it doesn't cancel the action as you stated, it ends it).

Both skills use the word end. One of them tells you what you can do at the end of the move action, the other tells you to end the action. Why do you keep insisting that ending the action interrupts the action so you skip past the end of the action? That's ridiculous.
Now you get it!! :)

Actually it's not rediculous ... it's English. There is a distinct difference between the following:

-- At the end of his Move Action [which implies that it is during the Move Action but as the last step of that action ... Pass & Handoff are treated like this ... therefore Tentacles cancels it because how can you do something at the end of a turn that's already over]

-- Immediately after his Move Action is over [Tentacles would not effect whether or not you can Gaze]

Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Khail »

No, I think you're missing my point. You broke down the action into steps that don't exist in the rules.

The move action ends either way, so there's always an "end of the move action" when you can activate Hypno Gaze. That's the english you're looking for :P

Bellingham, WA USA
Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

Khail wrote:No, I think you're missing my point. You broke down the action into steps that don't exist in the rules.

The move action ends either way, so there's always an "end of the move action" when you can activate Hypno Gaze. That's the english you're looking for :P
I certainly see your point and I'm fairly sure the powers-that-be would confirm your reasoning.

I just wish the wording was different because I can easily see it going the other way. As long as Gaze isn't part of the Move Action you're right. If it is part of the Move Action then Tentacles would crush it because it ends the turn immediately [before you can say you want to Gaze].

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Alamar wrote:[Actually... it's English.
Khail wrote:No.... That's the english you're looking for :P
Fans, it's an obvious case of Georgia "English" vs Washington "English".... The punters are feverishly looking for a Brit to referee (Queen's English).... :lol:

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Khail »

Haha, fair enough. We've both made reasonable cases - sorry if I stepped on your toes at all Alamar. I'm a rules lawyer at heart (Booo! Hiss!) and Blood Bowl is refreshing in that you can very rarely find things that aren't fairly clear cut in the rules. I'll agree that there is some level of ambiguity in this case.

Bellingham, WA USA
Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

I'm not worried about it ... I already knew I was wrong [I'm pretty sure everyone else wasn't wrong] but wanted to "get it".

I did hope to see one of "the powers" drop by and set me straight though :)

Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

I had a think about it, and there is nothing in the rules that says you're wrong. But there is nothing in the rules that says Alamar is wrong either. I all depends on wheather you consider HG to be part of the move action or separate to the move action. All it says is 'at the end of the action'. which may be interpreted as once the move action has ended (separate) or as the last step of the action (part of). And saying that is making up steps in actions that don't exist in the rules is confusing. Most actions have multiple steps: dodges, leaps, pick-ups, etc. My opinion was that HG was just another one of these steps, abet the last one.

"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton
Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

Hmm ... Now wheres someone with good command of the Queen's English to sort this out :) ...

Is Galak around because I'd like to hear his explanation.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Queen's English says "yes".
Now, what was the question? :lol:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Angeblich
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Angeblich »

So, Khail, you could HG if you fail a dodge or a GFI in your opinion?

Tentacles says: Ends action immediately. So no Pass, if it was a Pass-action, no HG if it was a Move-action, etc.

That's the way I read it.

I, too, am understanding "at the end" as an integral part of the mentioned thing (say a move action or a month). And if something ends immediately, it is no longer. So no "at the end" is possible any longer.

Another semantic example would be "I want to confess my sins at the end of my live". But if my life ends immediately, there is no time to to that anymore.
:-)

Wanchor
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wanchor »

Missed this thread after the issue was brought in another one.
Angeblich wrote:So, Khail, you could HG if you fail a dodge or a GFI in your opinion?
Good point. The magic phrase "ends immediately" appears throughout the rulebook, mostly describing turnovers. The Wizard seems to the only thing allowed to take place after 'the end' and a special case is made for it.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Another semantic example would be "I want to confess my sins at the end of my live". But if my life ends immediately, there is no time to to that anymore.
That kind of depends on your belied about the afterlife :orc:
But I digress 8)

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Of course you can hypno-gaze while facing tentacles:
tentacles.JPG
See...?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Angeblich
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Angeblich »

THOU SHALL NOT GAZE WHILE FACING THE TENTACLE!
6-day-of-the-tentacle_400.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.