Hypnotic Gaze & Tentacles ... did I get another rule wrong??

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Hypnotic Gaze & Tentacles ... did I get another rule wro

Post by Alamar »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Want another fun one with Vampires.

Let's say you a Vampire that for some very wierd reason you wanted to leave Prone on the pitch ... you can still Gaze adjacent opponents while Prone (same way that Distrubing Presence works while Prone).

Galak
It doesn't even have to be a wierd reason ... after all an opponnent can only foul one guy per turn ... IIRC because you declare a move action [and don't move] you still have to roll for BL so that's something at least :)

Reason: ''
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

In rare circumstances, prone players can win drives by staying prone (because a prone player is more difficult to remove from his square than a standing one). Stunned players have the same effect. One of the strengths of the Sidestep skill is because it allows you to fill an inconvenient square with a prone body when you are knocked down. This can often deny a route to your opponent.

Of course if a prone player is in a tackle zone next to the sideline, he may elect to stay prone (where he can continue to sign autographs in relative safety).

Smeborg the Fleshless
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Smeborg wrote: Of course if a prone player is in a tackle zone next to the sideline, he may elect to stay prone (where he can continue to sign autographs in relative safety).
But, this makes the Vampire a (the only?) player that can deny a tackle zone (through an effective gaze) without getting up.... :o ... or having a card....

Verrrrry interesting....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

alternat wrote:
GalakStarscraper wrote:Want another fun one with Vampires.

Let's say you a Vampire that for some very wierd reason you wanted to leave Prone on the pitch ... you can still Gaze adjacent opponents while Prone (same way that Distrubing Presence works while Prone).

Galak
OMG, are you talking seriously?

well, yes, you are.
I think he's having a little fun at us, still... :o

Hypnotic Gaze description, page 65:
"...the player may use hypnotic gaze at the end of his Move Action"

List of actions, page 7:
"Move: the player may move a number of squares equal to their Movement Allowance (MA) (including moving zero squares)"

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

well the way the rules are written it allows it, just clearly wasn't meant to be the case

just changing hyp gaze to being used on an opponent they are standing next to would solve that

not that the rules are getting tweaked any time soon ;]

duckwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by duckwing »

Wow!
Good thing I read this thread, as I'm planning to start building a vampire team soon.

Praise Nuffle!
Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

I tend to agree with Galak ... the rules don't need to be tweaked because I thought it was the accepted standard that "Exceptional Skills" could be used whether you are prone or not. As for needing a move action a prone player can declare "move" then don't use any move points [so is still laying on the ground] and then gazes from the ground.

I kind of like the extra nuance this could give.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

MKL wrote:I think he's having a little fun at us, still... :o

Hypnotic Gaze description, page 65:
"...the player may use hypnotic gaze at the end of his Move Action"

List of actions, page 7:
"Move: the player may move a number of squares equal to their Movement Allowance (MA) (including moving zero squares)"
You can have a Move Action where you don't stand up. So yes you can declare a Move Action with a prone Vampire ... roll for Blood Lust ... if you get the 2+ you are definitely able to move 0 squares (ie not stand up) and gaze an adjacent opponent. Vampire reaches out and clutches the ankle of an adjacent opponent ... when he looks down to see what is going on ... bam ... he's hypnotized.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
duckwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by duckwing »

And if the prone vampire rolls a 1 on Blood Lust but has a thrall standing (or lying) next to him, he can bite the thrall without standing up?

Praise Nuffle!
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

sure

duckwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by duckwing »

Actually I checked the rules after having posted and it looks like you can't:
If he is standing adjacent to one or more Thrall team-mates (standing, prone or stunned) then choose one to bite and make an injury roll on the Thrall treating any casualty roll as Badly Hurt.

Praise Nuffle!
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

ah ok, didn't seem likely to me that one would say standing and the other didn't

though I must admit I thought hyp gaze said standing before I went to check it, guess the fact bloodlust does say it would be why I thought that ;]

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

I understand and appreciate the HUGE amount of work people go into to make the rules as clear and bullet-proof as possible. I think it's too bad that we have to go to so much trouble to make things clear .... oh well that's what you get when you go from a "beer with the guys" game to a "competitive" game.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

I think it is only thrashing it out on here it really happens

i've never got into a heated argument over the rules in an actual game

think most people are reasonable and can resolve a situation at the time they are playing, even if they get it wrong at the time

Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

Grumbledook wrote:I think it is only thrashing it out on here it really happens

i've never got into a heated argument over the rules in an actual game

think most people are reasonable and can resolve a situation at the time they are playing, even if they get it wrong at the time
Rarely in Bloodbowl. But in Fantasy and 40K I have seen games just come to a complete halt over it.

In a particular 40k game (years back mind you) we played a 3 vs 3 and a rules dispute came up over a little dispute on the far right of the table between my troops and my opponents troops. Pretty soon the whole table was involved in the dispute. . .Me and the guy that it actually pertained to just rolled off for a ruling, and concluded the turn. . . then sat down as we were finished.

The dispute lasted for another hour with like 6 rule books laying open and people quoting and hypothisizing. . .when they finally agreed on it they told us how to proceed. . . We simply said "Too late, we're done. And we aren't going to redo it. So finish up your turns we want to go get beer."

To digress. . considering how serious people are taking this game nowadays I can completely believe it happening in Bloodbowl, now.

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.