Animosity in practice (Underworld)

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Animosity in practice (Underworld)

Post by Smeborg »

I have been playing Underworld for the first time this season, and am thoroughly enjoying them.

In their 21st game, a failed Animosity roll (with Re-roll) cost my team the match (it caused a 2TD swing). This is remarkable, in that I think it is the first time that Animosity has failed in 21 games, and is certainly the first time it has caused a loss (a probable draw on turn 15 was foiled by an interception).

I find in practice that Animosity has relatively little effect on the game, and in so far as it has any, it is mainly indirect (a bit in the same way as Pass Block and Strip Ball generally have an indirect, rather than direct influence on proceedings). Animosity acts as an incentive to pass or hand-off to a Gobbo only when you have a re-roll, or to hand-off or pass only to other Skaven players when you do not have a re-roll. This is quite a slight influence (I was expecting more).

I wonder what is the experience of other coaches with this skill?

All the best.

Reason: ''
Smeborg the Fleshless
Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Re: Animosity in practice (Underworld)

Post by Don__Vito »

Played with Underworld a season and once at a tourney, and completely forget about animosity. It has such a small effect on the way I play (I tend to run the ball mainly anyway) that I don't remember a single time it has adversly affected my positioning, decision making or play. Maybe delayed a TD attempt by a turn a couple of times at most once RR's had run out?

Crank it up to a 3+ roll and I'd have paid far more attention to it...

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Don__Vito wrote:Crank it up to a 3+ roll and I'd have paid far more attention to it...
There are no static 3+ rolls in Blood Bowl. Jervis rule.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Don__Vito wrote:Crank it up to a 3+ roll and I'd have paid far more attention to it...
There are no static 3+ rolls in Blood Bowl. Jervis rule.

Galak
Or more precisely, there are are just 2+ and 4+ "static" rolls, right? 2+ for Always Hungry, Animosity, Blood Lust, Bonehead, Chainsaw, Foul Appearance, Sweltering Heat, Take Root, and 4+ for Loner, Pro, Regeneration (I may have missed some). Other D6 rolls ("non-static") are (a) most commonly made against a variable characteristic (e.g. AG, ST), or (b) fit the 2+/4+ paradigm but can alternate (Really Stupid, Wild Animal), or (c) derive from the 2+ or 4+ paradigm but can be modified (K.O. Recovery, Pitch Invasion: where 5- = 2+). Does that describe things adequately?

Having only 2+ and 4+ "static" rolls is an area where the influence of Jervis on the game is obvious and large (this is not a complaint).

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

I've had it affect me a few times.
More importantly, it affects me every game I play, because I actively have to work around it.
So I rarely pass or hand off to me gobbos if I can avoid it.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Ullis
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ullis »

I agree with Plasmoid. I actively try to avoid throwing or handing off to goblins if I can so it does affect the game each offence. Animosity means that I might not have a reroll left to catch the ball which is disastrous with AG3 receivers (and Underworld goblins rarely get Catch). When passing or handing off the ball it's rare that you have the luxury of affording the extra risk of the thrower being left with the ball as I often use the thrower as a screener or a cage corner when making a pass or hand off.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

It's been discussed elsewhere, but do you feel that Diving Catch on a Gobbo mitigates even this (Animosity)?

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

not really as I tend to prefer doing hand offs over a pass with AG3 throwers unless it is to just get a completion in the backfield

I'm glad it doesn't have a massive effect but like others I look to work around it, especially if I don't have a reroll, prefer to get the SPP on the skaven generally anyway

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Grumbledook wrote:prefer to get the SPP on the skaven generally anyway
That is the key driver, I think.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

Definitely. Practically all my pass/hand-offs are skaven-skaven (in particular, star thrower to superstar blitzer :) )

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member