Diving Tackle, Mighty Blow and Dirty Player

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Ferne
Rookie
Rookie

Diving Tackle, Mighty Blow and Dirty Player

Post by Ferne »

The Diving Tackle skill description says:
Diving Tackle may be used on a re-rolled dodge if not declared for use on the first Dodge roll
A friend of mine then claims that if you declare the use of DT on the first dodge, then you cannot use DT on the re-rolled dodge.

And another thing:
He claims that the use of the +1 bonus from Mighty Blow and Dirty Player should be declared for either the armour or the injury roll before actually rolling the dice.

Does he have a point?

Reason: ''
mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Diving Tackle, Mighty Blow and Dirty Player

Post by mubo »

A re-roll means you just reroll the dice, the -2 modifier does apply to the second roll.

P23 (CRP) says you can see the dice, then use a skill.

PS- the bit you quoted, means just that. If they fail the first dodge without you needing to use DT, you can then use it on the reroll. e.g. AG4 elf rolls a 1 to dodge from a DT player: skill not used. He rerolls and gets a 3, you can then use DT to make that fail.

Edit: Can't spell modifier...

Glicko guy.
Team England committee member
Brunificus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Brunificus »

Your friend is wrong on both counts, once the player is placed prone it applies -2 to the dodge roll, whether it's a reroll or not. And no where in dirty player or mighty blow does it mention having to call before you roll, you an add it to either after the roll.

WWW.SANDGROPERCUP.COM
WWW.BRAWLBB.COM
First person in Australia at a tournament to beat Doubleskulls Orcs
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

and remember that every skill use is optional - fouling armour eight with a sneaky git/dirty player, you roll an eight.

rolling two 4s, don't use dp

rolling a 6 and a 2, do use dp

alternat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by alternat »

show your friend the CRP manual, page 23 (19 in the pdf document) where is clearly stated that:

"5. You can choose to use a skill that affects a dice roll after rolling the dice (e.g. Diving Tackle does not need to be used until after seeing the result of the Dodge roll)."

Oxynot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oxynot »

Sounds like your friend is still living the era of former LRBs when you had to use mighty blow that way (choosing before rolling), probably diving tackle worked as he described back then as well. Mayeb you ought to advise him to re-read the rules, some details such as this have changed and might be confusing.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

it also says in the rules that any modifiers that applied to the first roll apply to second roll

Sancaz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sancaz »

Hey guys.
I am the friend that started the "trouble" with Diving Tackle.
Let me try and refraise what my friend asked.

IF.....a 4AG elf rolls eg. a 3 which normally is more than enough, but not when leaving a Diving Tackle player, then I guess the Diving Tackle player will use his Diving Tackle skill. Please note.....he declares that he will use the skill on the first roll.
Let´s assume the 4AG elf rerolls the Dodge roll AND......the player with Diving Tackle has already DECLARED that he has used the Diving Tackle skill on the first roll, then I think he is NOT allowed to use the skill on the second Dodge roll that the 4AG players tries. The Diving tackle skill has been used. It also says in the manual under the Diving Tackle skill....."Diving Tackle may be used on a re-rolled dodge if not declared for use on the first dodge roll"....but he DID declare it on the first roll.
Maybe I am reading the manual wrong, but to me that means if you choose to use the Diving Tackle skill on the first roll which eg. is a 2 or 3 on the first dodge roll the 4AG elf makes, then you can NOT use the diving tackle skill on the re-rolled dodge roll the 4Ag player makes. Do I make sense???? I know that rolling 1 is always a failure, (I also play the vampires) any turd knows that, and I also know that you are not allowed to use a skill twice in one turn, so when you use the Diving tackle skill on the first roll, then you can NOT use it on the second roll.....right or wrong)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Sorry Sancaz ... you are wrong.

Best quick example I can give you is Prehensile Tail. Are you suggesting that if an Elf needing a 2+ to dodge away rolls a 2 and I use Prehensile Tail to make it a 1 that when he re-rolls that I cannot use Prehensile Tail to turn his second 2 into another 1?

If you are ... you are misunderstanding the rules.

A re-roll does not remove any modifiers from the original roll. You use the skill on the roll. A re-roll is a circumstance of making the original roll (with all the modifiers that applied to it) again. The reason Diving Tackle specifically says it can be used on a the re-roll if not used on the original roll is because THAT is the modification to the rules that the skills allow as normally all skills are live and in effect. It is because Diving Tackle has a negative side effect that requires that extra line to explain it use in regards to re-rolls.

So the summary to remember:
A re-roll is simply rolling again the original roll with all the modifiers that applied to it.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Sancaz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sancaz »

Aight. Got it Galak.
thanks.
laterz.
Caz

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

I've got this one wrong in the past-I thought that seeing that a DT player had used DT to make the dodge fail, he should be placed prone. Now you can't use skills whilst prone, so the 2nd dodge roll wouldn't have DT on it...

But it all happens at the same time, so DT does work on the 2nd roll. It can be filed in the same drawer as rolling an INT before the pass roll.

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

and you only place him prone once the dodge is completed, not before, so as long as the dice are rolling you are standing up.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Greyhound wrote:and you only place him prone once the dodge is completed, not before, so as long as the dice are rolling you are standing up.
What he said ... the CRP version of the skill was reworded to make it clear that the Prone thing only happens after the dodge is fully resolved.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

I know it's an older thread, but situation arose yesterday in my league, so just want to make sure I get it right:

Elf dodging from a Diving Tackling Slann Blitzer, needs a 2+, rolls a 3;
Slann coach points out he'll be using DT, elf coach re-rolls.

Now, if he rolls a 4, he dodges out and the slann blitzer doesn't go prone. If he rolls a 3, they both go prone? Or do the DT player goes down either way cause he's a pain in the backside and forced the elven coach to use a RR?

I think you go down only if 2nd roll is failed.

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

If you use DT (which the Slann player did), you go Prone, regardless of whether DT cause the Dodge to fail or not.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.