jump up, blitzing, and take root. again.

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

xzcion
Rookie
Rookie

jump up, blitzing, and take root. again.

Post by xzcion »

Ok, so i did the search and various aspects of this have been covered. especially Galak's wonderful table of +1MV vs Jump Up. But I have more questions.

To avoid page flipping, here is the full text of the relevant sections:
Take Root (Extraordinary)
Immediately after declaring an Action with this player, roll a D6. On a 2 or
more, the player may take his Action as normal. On a 1, the player “takes
root”, and his MA is considered 0 until a drive ends, or he is Knocked
Down or Placed Prone (and no, players from his own team may not try
and block him in order to try to knock him down!). A player that has taken
root may not Go For It, be pushed back for any reason, or use any skill
that would allow him to move out of his current square or be Placed
Prone. The player may block adjacent players without following-up as
part of a Block Action however if a player fails his Take Root roll as part
of a Blitz Action he may not block that turn (he can still roll to stand up if
he is Prone).
Jump Up (Agility)
A player with this skill is able to quickly get back into the game. If the
player declares any Action other than a Block Action he may stand up for
free without paying the three squares of movement. The player may also
declare a Block Action while Prone which requires an Agility roll with a +2
modifier to see if he can complete the Action. A successful roll means the
player can stand up for free and block an adjacent opponent. A failed roll
means the Block Action is wasted and the player may not stand up.
STANDING UP
The only time a player can stand up is at the beginning of an
Action at a cost of three squares from his movement. If the
player has less than three squares of movement, he must roll 4+
to stand up - if he stands up successfully, he may not move
further squares unless he Goes For It (see Extra Rules page 20).
Failure to stand successfully for any reason is not a turnover.
So, what happens in the following cases of prone trees failing, or having already failed, their take root roll:

1- A tree with MV2 fails its take root trying to stand up with a Move action. My reading of take root is he can still roll to stand up, as the rules for standing up do not require him to use MV points to stand up, i.e. he can stand up even while rooted with MV0. No further movement if he does stand up.
2- A tree with MV3 fails its take root trying to stand up with a Move action. My reading is that he can roll to stand up, as he has MV0, and therefore returns to the 'less than 3' situation under standing up. No further movement if he does stand up.
3- A tree with Jump Up fails its take root trying to stand up with a Move action. My reading is the tree can stand up without rolling by using Jump Up. No further movement when he stands up.

4- A tree fails its take root trying to stand up with a Blitz action. My reading is the tree can roll to stand up, but cannot block anyone or move any further.
5- A tree with Jump Up fails its take root trying to stand up with a Blitz action. My reading is the tree does not roll to stand up, but cannot block anyone or move any further.

6- A tree with Jump Up fails its take root trying to stand up with a Block action. My reading is the tree can make his Jump Up roll and if sucessful make a block.

Finally;
7- Can a tree that is rooted, even while prone, be chain pushed? My reading is no.

Thoughts?

Reason: ''
Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Re: jump up, blitzing, and take root. again.

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

xzcion wrote:Now, please, go answer the questions in the other post :p
Okey-dokey, here goes.
xzcion wrote:1- A tree with MV2 fails its take root trying to stand up with a Move action. My reading of take root is he can still roll to stand up, as the rules for standing up do not require him to use MV points to stand up, i.e. he can stand up even while rooted with MV0. No further movement if he does stand
You've got the right outcome with the wrong reasoning (bolded). An MV of less than 3 (i.e. 0, 1 or 2) simply requires a 4+ to stand up, and that uses all of the available movement (even if it's 0). You can do this while rooted as, evidently, Treemen prefer being lost in thought on their feet, rather than laying down.

I agree with your readings on situations 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7, too.

Situation 5 seems the most complicated, as rooted Treeman specifically cannot blitz - though it would seem you can use Jump Up to Block quite happily. I defer to those with more in-depth knowledge on that one.

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

xzcion wrote: 1- A tree with MV2 fails its take root trying to stand up with a Move action. My reading of take root is he can still roll to stand up, as the rules for standing up do not require him to use MV points to stand up, i.e. he can stand up even while rooted with MV0. No further movement if he does stand up.
A Tree that Takes Root while prone can still roll to stand up. His MV is still 0 after standing.
2- A tree with MV3 fails its take root trying to stand up with a Move action. My reading is that he can roll to stand up, as he has MV0, and therefore returns to the 'less than 3' situation under standing up. No further movement if he does stand up.
Correct
3- A tree with Jump Up fails its take root trying to stand up with a Move action. My reading is the tree can stand up without rolling by using Jump Up. No further movement when he stands up.
Correct
4- A tree fails its take root trying to stand up with a Blitz action. My reading is the tree can roll to stand up, but cannot block anyone or move any further.
Correct
5- A tree with Jump Up fails its take root trying to stand up with a Blitz action. My reading is the tree does not roll to stand up, but cannot block anyone or move any further.
Correct
6- A tree with Jump Up fails its take root trying to stand up with a Block action. My reading is the tree can make his Jump Up roll and if sucessful make a block.
Correct
Finally;
7- Can a tree that is rooted, even while prone, be chain pushed? My reading is no.
He may not be chain pushed while rooted.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
xzcion
Rookie
Rookie

Post by xzcion »

Ty both.

Willi
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Willi »

I´m a bit puzzeled by No 4 and 5. Clearly the tree can´t move anywhere but why can´t he use the blitz to block someone adjacent to him?
Or was it the assumption that he has to move to get adjacent to an opponent?

Rent me. I`m German.
Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Willi wrote:I´m a bit puzzeled by No 4 and 5. Clearly the tree can´t move anywhere but why can´t he use the blitz to block someone adjacent to him?
Or was it the assumption that he has to move to get adjacent to an opponent?
If a Treeman is on the floor, he has to Blitz (roll his 4+ to stand, then a 2+ to GFI) to hit someone. When rooted, he can't use the GFI to hit his opponent.

It's a strange situation in that he can Jump Up and Block when rooted, but not Stand/Jump Up and Blitz when rooted.

Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Ulthuan_Express wrote:If a Treeman is on the floor, he has to Blitz (roll his 4+ to stand, then a 2+ to GFI) to hit someone. When rooted, he can't use the GFI to hit his opponent.
Actually its because in the skill description it says if he declares a Blitz and fails Take Root that he cannot block.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Ulthuan_Express wrote:If a Treeman is on the floor, he has to Blitz (roll his 4+ to stand, then a 2+ to GFI) to hit someone. When rooted, he can't use the GFI to hit his opponent.
Actually its because in the skill description it says if he declares a Blitz and fails Take Root that he cannot block.
3:16 strikes again when randomly shooting one's mouth off! :oops: At least it comes to the same conclusion, hehe.