Is Tackle optional?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

landrover
Legend
Legend
Location: Reffing at a tourney near you. Bribery preferences start with sweets....

Is Tackle optional?

Post by landrover »

And yes, I did a search for 'Tackle' but it turned up about 27 million results.

Is Tackle an optional skill? I am thinking about frenzying Amazon players into the crowd with a tackle-ridden Norse team and would love to surf half of the bitches.

Cheers

Reason: ''
Squad Chaos captain.
Thrudball co-organiser.
neverworking
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Is Tackle optional?

Post by neverworking »

It is, but so is dodge

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

yes it is.
Similarly, the amazon can opt not to use dodge in the same situation to avoid being crowd surfed.
I think frenzy is the only obligatory skill. (barring negatraits)

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

In a real world scenario, tackle really isn't optional. I think the only person who would not want to use it would have frenzy and would be to set up a chain push or most likely a crowd surf...

If you choose not to use tackle in order to push for a chance at a crowd surf, they would just choose to not use dodge. It really ends up being up to the person with dodge what happens, not the person with tackle.

Anyone have another meaningful example that says otherwise?

Webhosting with the latest version of OBBLM installed: OBBLM Web Hosting (be sure to choose the OBBLM tab)
legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

Why would a real world scenario (ludicrous idea to bring up when talking about blood bowl) not allow for tackle to be optional? Can't we choice how to hit someone in real life, or how hard to hit them, or, if tackling is know precisely where to tackle them, choice to tackle them in a different way? I'm just saying that in the real world we would have a player would have more control of his/her actions, not less.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I think he meant real life as in when your actually playing the game (as opposed to theorybowling), not real life as in when you go to work.

Poor choice of words though.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

funnyfingers wrote:In a real world scenario, tackle really isn't optional. I think the only person who would not want to use it would have frenzy and would be to set up a chain push or most likely a crowd surf...

If you choose not to use tackle in order to push for a chance at a crowd surf, they would just choose to not use dodge. It really ends up being up to the person with dodge what happens, not the person with tackle.

Anyone have another meaningful example that says otherwise?
The only one I could think of is if you wanted to push a player into the tacklezone of another player so they could block them. If that player was 2spp’s away from a skill or you were trying to get them the cas record for that particular league/tournament.

In that situation you might risk not using tackle to negate dodge on the defender stumbles and it would be up to the other player if they wanted to stay on their feet and get hit by the other player. Would depend on if they had damage causing skills like MB, PO or claw I guess or the other player had tackle.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

If you were setting up a chain push and wanted to be absolutely sure the player you had blocked remained on the pitch to fill that square you could opt not to use tackle.

I would and have taken a push over a POW if it moved a player into a surf square, I remember one time picking a defender stumbles rather than a defender down when setting up a surf, the other guy didn't twig the danger even after I asked him if he wanted to use his dodge skill.

"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

But the defender can choose not to use dodge, so still falls over.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

Exactly my point. Even if I wasn't as smart as you, I would be suspicious if you decided not to use tackle and would think that I should not use dodge if you don't want to use tackle.

I would imagine the blocker would choose which skill to use first, correct?

Webhosting with the latest version of OBBLM installed: OBBLM Web Hosting (be sure to choose the OBBLM tab)
legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

I would agree, but I might want to risk it if I need that guy standing for the next play.