How should Diving Catch work?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

How should Diving Catch work?

Post by MattDakka »

In this match: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=3437398
on turn 8th of the 2nd half I passed the ball to an empty square near my Slann catcher in order to make an easier pass (3+ instead of a 4+).
I rolled a 3, so it was accurate, then I rolled a 2 for the Diving Catch and the catch failed.
It should have been successful, or am I wrong?

I opened a discussion on FUMBBL as well:
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpB ... ic&t=23576
but I'm still doubtful about the right interpretation of the rule, an official reply from Galak Starscraper would be appreciated.

Reason: ''
purdindas
Super Star
Super Star

Re: How should Diving Catch work?

Post by purdindas »

You are wrong. No plus 1 for diving catch because it was not targeted at his square.

Have you tried my Crispy Pancakes?

Scottish Blood Bowl Captain
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Incorrect - you do: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=34991#p619487

If you throw an Accurate pass to a square with a DC player you get +2 (+1 for the Accurate pass, +1 for the DC skill)
If you throw an Accurate pass to a square next to a DC player you get +1 (+1 for "Catching an Accurate pass", and DC counts the catch as if in his square).

The "catching an accurate pass" bonus doesn't say anything about being targetted at the player.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
purdindas
Super Star
Super Star

Post by purdindas »

Interesting...

I have just read that thread and also the rules and it appears he would have caught it.

It seems you still get +1 for it being an accurate pass even though it's not to the players square. No additional +1 is given for the diving catch skill itself however as per my previous statement. This still means that a 2+ on the catch roll will suffice.

Looks like you were skrewed

Have you tried my Crispy Pancakes?

Scottish Blood Bowl Captain
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Thanks Darkson, I'll post that link on the FUMBBL's forum!
@purdindas: yep, the bug screwed my win and turned it into a draw.

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

Interesting... does that mean he should get an SPP for the pass as well? (accurate + catch?)

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

Sandwich wrote:Interesting... does that mean he should get an SPP for the pass as well? (accurate + catch?)

i dont think so. it says under ssp 'comp': that the player has to catch the ball in the targeted square

ninja edit: but after reading the diving catch skill, it seems you would get the 1 ssp comp

Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

OK but, I have no book in front of me, about passing to an empty square causes the ball to scatter?

I like the idea of the details above. And it does sound crazy and fun.

Ball passes to empty square next to diving catcher and it is accurate. However does the ball scatter prior to that or should it be accurrate and if not caught it bounces one square?

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Passes only scatter if inaccurate. An accurate pass to an empty square will bounce once (if not caught using DC).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

and DC cannot be used once the ball has bounced; only for accurate pass, after scatter of inaccurate pass, kick-off or crowd throw-in before the final bounce.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

No SPPs for a Diving Catch catch of an accurate pass to an adjacent square. The adjacent square was the targeted square ... Diving Catch does not change what the originally targeted square was.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers