When do you have to announce the use of Diving Tackle?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

When do you have to announce the use of Diving Tackle?

Post by TalonBay »

I'm considering adding the skill to a couple of players and need to understand it better.

Would the following be legit:

Opponent: fails dodge
Me: elects not to use diving tackle yet
Opponent: rerolls dodge, passes by minimum
Me: elect to use diving tackle

Or do I need to say I'm using it before a roll is made for it to apply to that roll?

Reason: ''
The Daventry League: Pitchblack Stealers http://www.level10.org/BloodBowl/index.php?section=main
Proud Owner of the TFF Minisorca Vikings Legacy 2011 viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36011
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: When do you have to announce the use of Diving Tackle?

Post by dode74 »

From the skill description:
"Diving Tackle may be used on a re-rolled dodge if not declared for use on the first Dodge roll."

Declare when you want to.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

the offensive player announces the use of a skill or reroll before the defense. aka I use dodge...

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

I would agree you can declare the use of the skill as you want.

As a matter of courtesy I try to remind the opponent of the skill being available before he rolls for the dodge.

dsavillian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dsavillian »

besters wrote:I would agree you can declare the use of the skill as you want.

As a matter of courtesy I try to remind the opponent of the skill being available before he rolls for the dodge.
+1 to this.

I know it's my responsibility to know which skills my opponent has, but I would rather my opponents remind me of skills like that, so I try to do it as well.

I also really dislike the "gotcha" type reactionary skill use (Diving tackle is probably the only one that fits this category) because it feels very unsporting and "in your face."

Coach of the Fancy Lads
Blood Bowl League of Calgary
http://twitter.com/bloodbowlcgy
@dsavillian on twitter

It's called Blood Bowl, not Fun Bowl
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

dsavillian wrote:(Diving tackle is probably the only one that fits this category)
Shadowing, Sidestep, Stand Firm... the latter two particularly annoying on chainpushes :)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
purdindas
Super Star
Super Star

Post by purdindas »

I wouldn't tell them until after they have rolled the dice for the dodge but maybe thats just me and I'm a bit evil that way :)

Have you tried my Crispy Pancakes?

Scottish Blood Bowl Captain
phil78
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by phil78 »

Yeah, that's you being a dick :lol:

Magictobe

Post by Magictobe »

One skill that fit's that categorie is Disturbing presence!!!

RogueThirteen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by RogueThirteen »

I've asked this question before as well. Here's the reply:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33781

All skills (which are elective) are used after any relevant die is rolled.

So, your opponent first rolls their dodge:

IF they pass, you can then use Diving Tackle. If this causes them to fail but they reroll the die, the -2 DT penalty still applies to the reroll.

IF they fail, you presumably won't use Diving Tackle (though you could, if you wanted that player prone?), then if they reroll you can declare the use of DT after the rerolled Dodge.

Out of sportsmanship, YES, always remind your opponent of your DT pieces as they are planning their turn (I end every turn by pointing out where my DT skinks or snots are, though it's also noted on their bases). But you don't have to declare the skill use until they actually roll the dodge die.

drathul
Experienced
Experienced

Post by drathul »

Unless my opponent is a novice, I will not point out player skills. This is for the simple reason that I print out a copy of my team roster for my opponent for every league/comp game I play. I also ensure my figs are clearly numbered and easily identifiable. So if my opponent can't take the time to check the team roster and they get caught out then that's their fault.

Life, one continuous interruption to my sleep

Ian White
Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

drathul wrote:Unless my opponent is a novice, I will not point out player skills. This is for the simple reason that I print out a copy of my team roster for my opponent for every league/comp game I play. I also ensure my figs are clearly numbered and easily identifiable. So if my opponent can't take the time to check the team roster and they get caught out then that's their fault.
+1

Unless you have massed on diving tackle, the skills major advantage is that it's forgotten from time to time.
The opponent has my Cockerel, the players are marked, and I'll tell him where the guard, DT, sidestep players are whenever he asks. But I'm not going to say "Wait, you don't wanna do that! that roll is clearly in my favor!".

It's this unsportsmanlike? Who cares, I play flings most of the time anyway......

Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hitonagashi »

drathul wrote:Unless my opponent is a novice, I will not point out player skills. This is for the simple reason that I print out a copy of my team roster for my opponent for every league/comp game I play. I also ensure my figs are clearly numbered and easily identifiable. So if my opponent can't take the time to check the team roster and they get caught out then that's their fault.
Do you use skill rings?

Usually, I remind my opponent, partly for sporting reasons, but mostly because when I put a DT tacklezone, I'd prefer he *doesn't* try and go through it.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

+1

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Khail »

I'm sure it's largely a regional thing, but around here I consider it poor sportsmanship not to point out skills on your players before the dice are rolled. Beat your opponent with tactics and strategy on the pitch, not by keeping them in the dark about relevant skills or rules. Blood Bowl should be a game of positioning and probability, not a memory test.

I'll always try to let my opponent know before he blitzes a +ST player, or tries to dodge away from Diving Tackle, etc. I encourage my players to do the same.

Commissioner of the Cascadia Blood Blowl League
Bellingham, WA USA