Do you have to declare a HMP upfront?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Willi
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Willi »

To clarify:
Gobbo Bomber with HMP wants to throw his bomb at the opponents cage (in long pass range). Do I have to declare a HMP immediately or can I wait what the rolls are, so that if I roll a 6 I do not use HMP but if the opponent makes the interception I do?

I couldn´t find it in the rulebook so generally I would say you choose which skills to apply after the roll but then again after which roll, the interception roll or the pass roll?

Reason: ''
Rent me. I`m German.
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Re: Do you have to declare a HMP upfront?

Post by daloonieshaman »

Declare Pass Action
Declare the use of HMP (no range Ruler used)
roll
You only fumble on a '1'
There are never any modifiers on HMP
You cannot intercept HMP

caution: When the ball is caught, that player must throw it (on and one until someone flubs or it hits the ground)

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Interesting question and nice idea, however I think daloonieshaman is correct - you have to declare HMP at the point you measure the range, not when you make the roll.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

DoubleSkulls wrote:Interesting question and nice idea, however I think daloonieshaman is correct - you have to declare HMP at the point you measure the range, not when you make the roll.
But can't you measure the range at any time (from the passers square) as long as you've declared a pass?

Edit: i still agree that you roll after deciding whether to use the skill.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Next, the coach must measure the range using the range ruler, by placing the O at on end over the centre of the square of the player throwing the ball, and the red line that runs up the centre of the ruler over the centre of the square the ball is being thrown to. If the line between two passing ranges crosses any part of the receiving player"s square, the higher range should be used. It is perfectly acceptable to pre-measure the range to several players at any point during the throwing player's move before you declare the target of the pass.
I think that is pretty clear - you must measure the range before rolling the dice, and can do so as often as you like. HMP clearly states you don't use the range ruler.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Can I measure at any time or do i have to declare a pass action? If that is the case is the sequence:-
Declare pass action.
Measure as much as you like anywhere on the board.
Decide whether to use Hail Mary Pass or make a normal pass.
Roll dice as appropiate.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

A literal interpretation is that you can only measure after declaring the pass action. However since range charts are readily available it would be very pedantic to not allow it before.

However for the pass itself the first thing you do is measure the distance to determine range - remember you roll for interceptions first too, which doesn't happen to HMPs.

Wanchor
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wanchor »

DoubleSkulls wrote:However for the pass itself the first thing you do is measure the distance to determine range - remember you roll for interceptions first too, which doesn't happen to HMPs.
I'd say this is the real crux of it. Otherwise, I'd probably allow a coach to declare a use of HMP after rolling the die. We all know that this is about hoping that he'll roll a six and not risk scattering the bomb away from the target, and that seems fair to me.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

based on the wording I would say you declare the use of the skill before you cast the die. (say for example Pass)

and yes there are skills you do not declare before the die roll (say for example Block) that say effect the results of the roll.

landrover
Legend
Legend
Location: Reffing at a tourney near you. Bribery preferences start with sweets....

Post by landrover »

@corvidius, it's an interesting thing having to measure the range because while you HAVE to measure the range when passing a ball, you can't do anything to alter it while bombing as you aren't allowed to move whilst throwing a bomb. So the 2+ HMP overrides everything and no pass range ruler is required.

Sorry about the formatting and all, on the mobile phone.

Squad Chaos captain.
Thrudball co-organiser.
nick_nameless
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nick_nameless »

daloonieshaman wrote:Declare Pass Action

You mean range modifiers, right?

Or are you saying that throwing from a opponent's tacklezone or within a disturbing presence area would not affect the roll?

EDIT: Nevermind. Note to self...read the FAQ before posting :/

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

nick_nameless wrote:
daloonieshaman wrote:Declare Pass Action

You mean range modifiers, right?

Or are you saying that throwing from a opponent's tacklezone or within a disturbing presence area would not affect the roll?

EDIT: Nevermind. Note to self...read the FAQ before posting :/
for others...
HMP is flat 2+ NOTHING modifies the roll
(Blizzard affects the pass or lack thereof)