Do you go for it to blitz with a stabber?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Chris
Legend
Legend

Do you go for it to blitz with a stabber?

Post by Chris »

Skaven stabsassain trundles up to the ball carrier tonight. Its a blitz. He has used all his movement. Does he need to go for it to stab? We didn't know, rolled the go for it, discussed it, got various opinions and the skaven bit the dirt. So do you need to gfi to stab?

Reason: ''
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: Do you go for it to blitz with a stabber?

Post by dode74 »

I would say yes, because a stab is instead of a block and a block costs one square of movement when a part of a Blitz Action.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Stab does replace block like dode says, but I disagree that you should gfi to perform it on a blitz. Just because you're taking a stab action as a substitute for a block doesn't mean you're taking a block action. Stab does not have a follow up and therefore does not make you pay 1MA to use it. So if your MA runs out in a square adjacent to your victim then you should not have to gfi in order to perform the stab. Now you may have to gfi to get to the square if you run out of movement prior to reaching it.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

burgun824 wrote:Stab does replace block like dode says, but I disagree that you should gfi to perform it on a blitz. Just because you're taking a stab action as a substitute for a block doesn't mean you're taking a block action. Stab does not have a follow up and therefore does not make you pay 1MA to use it. So if your MA runs out in a square adjacent to your victim then you should not have to gfi in order to perform the stab. Now you may have to gfi to get to the square if you run out of movement prior to reaching it.
A block follows up....
No. Stab is just like the Chainsaw where you pay the point for the attack on the Blitz and cannot move afterword and as you do not push back your opponent you may not follow up.
As listed in the Blitz section of the rule book (pg 9) you must pay the one point of movement in order to make the blitz.
aka in this situation you will have to GFI

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Just because you're taking a stab action as a substitute for a block doesn't mean you're taking a block action.
You're not, you're taking a Blitz action, which includes a block. The rules for blocking state that the block, not the Block Action, costs one point in MA.
Stab does not have a follow up and therefore does not make you pay 1MA to use it.
It doesn't say anywhere that it's the follow-up which costs the MA point, it merely says that the block costs one point in MA.
Furthermore, blocks only follow up if there is a push result, and there is no push result for stab. Put it this way - if you blitz with a player with block against an unskilled player and choose both down it still costs you a point in MA despite the fact you can't follow up. The follow up is irrelevant.
CRP page 9 wrote:BLITZ MOVES
Once per turn a player on the moving team is allowed to make a special Blitz move. A blitz allows the player to move and make a block. The block may be made at any point during the move, but costs one square of movement for the player to make. The player may carry on moving after the effects of the block have been worked out if he has any squares of movement left.
This is also confirmed on page 7, where the actions are described, which clearly states that the block "costs" one square of movement.
The main difference is that a stabber cannot carry ion moving after the stab, as specified in the stab rules.

The consequences if a stab didn't cost a square in MA would be that stabbers would have an extra point in range - i.e. they could GFI twice and then stab. I don't think that's right at all.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Stab and Chainsaw use during a blitz use a point of movement.

These are done in place of a block in a blitz and if you don't pay the point of movement ... there is no block part of the blitz to be done in place of.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Stab and Chainsaw use during a blitz use a point of movement.

These are done in place of a block in a blitz and if you don't pay the point of movement ... there is no block part of the blitz to be done in place of.

Tom
We spent about 10minutes with the rules here going backwards and forwards. People were called, Thanks for clearing it up. You will be pleased to know the dice we rolled agreed with you!

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Just seems a bit odd because stab and chainsaw don't allow you to follow up which is what I would assume you're paying the point of movement for.

I'm sure it won't be the last time I'm wrong.

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

burgun824 wrote:Just seems a bit odd because stab and chainsaw don't allow you to follow up which is what I would assume you're paying the point of movement for.

Which is where we got confused too.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
antipixi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by antipixi »

Heff wrote:
burgun824 wrote:Just seems a bit odd because stab and chainsaw don't allow you to follow up which is what I would assume you're paying the point of movement for.

Which is where we got confused too.
I see what you're saying, but if you get a both down result on a blitz, then you don't get to follow up either and still pay the point of movement.

Late to the party and missed the boat on helping with the rule, so I thought I'd add a compensatory piece of logical comparison. :roll:

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM WALES!
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

antipixi wrote:I see what you're saying, but if you get a both down result on a blitz, then you don't get to follow up either and still pay the point of movement.
Very true, but still a bit different (IMO) because when you throw a block you're paying for the "potential" to follow up so that you can on a POW. On chainsaw and stab it's a guarantee that you're staying put whether it succeeds or not.

Regardless, Galak already cleared up the confusion so it's settled one way or another. I'm just going to be PO'ed now when I fail a gfi on stab or chainsaw and end up losing my secret weapon because they injured themself.

EDIT: And yes, I understand that it doesn't state anywhere that you're actually paying the point of MA so that you can follow up, you pay it in order to block or blitz. It just seems to me that the only logical reason that you would pay the MA to block or blitz woud be for the follow up. And yes again...I'm only being defensive because I hate being wrong. :P