Chainsaw and Mighty Blow

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Glowworm

Re: Chainsaw and Mighty Blow

Post by Glowworm »

Smurf wrote:If the chain saw guy is blocked and goes down then it gets +3AV by the saw and +1 by the blocking player who is not using the saw.

The otherway around... no, Saw only.
There is no other way around.... a chainsaw played cannot block, he must use the chainsaw.

Reason: ''
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

glowworm wrote:
Smurf wrote:If the chain saw guy is blocked and goes down then it gets +3AV by the saw and +1 by the blocking player who is not using the saw.

There is no other way around.... a chainsaw played cannot block, he must use the chainsaw.
I’d say the chainsaw could use MB if he was blocked and the other player rolled a skull (or both down without block). However I don’t think he could get the +3 AV from the saw since he didn’t use that to receive the block.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

What you guys on about:

4 methods of a block:

Chainsaw blocks dude = dude goes down use chainsaw skill and no MB
Chainsaw blocks dude = 'saw goes down, add chainsaw and add dude's MB because he does not have the 'saw skill.

Dude blocks Chainsaw = 'saw goes down, add chainsaw and add dude's MB because he does not have the 'saw skill.
Dude Blocks Chainsaw = dude goes down use chainsaw skill and no MB

That's the way I see it. That is, there is no point giving a 'Saw MB because the Saw is has a +3 to get through armour.

Saw vs

AV5 = 3+
AV6 = 4+
AV7 = 5+
AV8 = 6+
AV9 = 7+
AV10 = 8+

Only Claw on an 8 or more = AV10 punching through, otherwise the Saw is better. Of course MB can make Claw better but the Saw is fairly good. To improve the saw I'd get rid of the kickback rule, there is enough danger on the pitch anyway.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

spubbbba wrote:
glowworm wrote:

I’d say the chainsaw could use MB if he was blocked and the other player rolled a skull (or both down without block). However I don’t think he could get the +3 AV from the saw since he didn’t use that to receive the block.
I would have agreed (and was arguing the same myself) with your first sentence untill MattDakka pointed out that the Mighty Blow skill description says it can't be used in conjunction with the chainsaw, so MB can't be used to modify that player's AV roll.

Perhaps like this:
Looney hits (because he cannot block - see chainsaw skill description) other player with MB:
Roll of 1 = kickback: Looney makes AV roll with +3 modifier but no use of the player's MB since it's not a block.
Roll of 2-6 = success: target makes AV roll with +3 modifier

Player (with MB) blocks looney (with MB):
Looney goes down = AV roll with +3 modifier from saw and option to use +1 from MB
Player goes down = AV roll with +3 modifier from saw and then with the option to use the MB from the Looney on the Injury roll since it's not stacking with the chainsaw on that roll.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I suppose it would depend on if you see the looney uses the saw when he is blocked. If he did would kickback not have to come into play? Or are we assuming the other player launches himself at the looney and runs straight into the saw, messy. :evil:

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
burk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by burk »

Two notes, first is irrelevant, but will mention it. In the situation is was not a looney, it was helmut wulf (inducement $)

second, the situation is Ogre blocks Wulf, gets a block result and push, and chooses to have both go down. Wulf, doesnt pen armor (even with +3), Ogre rolls a 5. With +3, no pen, but with the MB from the ogre, at +4 would pen.

I am on the side of the total roll is +4 as Ogre is using his MB, and Wulf is taking the +3 from being knocked down per the chainsaw rule.

Discuss as necessary :)

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Smurf wrote:What you guys on about:

4 methods of a block:

Chainsaw blocks dude = dude goes down use chainsaw skill and no MB
Chainsaw blocks dude = 'saw goes down, add chainsaw and add dude's MB because he does not have the 'saw skill.

Dude blocks Chainsaw = 'saw goes down, add chainsaw and add dude's MB because he does not have the 'saw skill.
Dude Blocks Chainsaw = dude goes down use chainsaw skill and no MB

What are you on about??

Chainsaw players can NEVER block, its in the first line of the chainsaw skill description, (Pg 64 Icepelt copy!!) they MUST attack using the chainsaw.

Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

Whatever, normally to attack a player you throw a block, in this instance the 'Saw replaces the block.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)