How does your league handle roster changes?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

fe2mike
Experienced
Experienced

How does your league handle roster changes?

Post by fe2mike »

In the rulebook all roster changes are done at the end of the match, is that how your league handles it?
How does fumbbl and cyanide handle it?

Our league uses the aros bb league website, so we use the site to roll for advancements, and hire/fire staff and such, it is also a scheduled league. I have started getting the issue with competitive coaches wanting to make roster moves at last minute, or at least after seeing what their next opponent has done.

We implimented a suggested 72 hr after match change period, with a minimum 24 hr "lead time" for changes.
Should we make a solid rule? Does your league have a solid rule?

Reason: ''
Iron Mike
Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Re: How does your league handle roster changes?

Post by Hitonagashi »

FUMBBL, after a game, you finish a post game, and you are in "pending" mode (where you can select skillups and buy players) until you mark the team as ready to play, at which point you can't add any more.

I think it's that way to minimise the metagaming over "I want to play my tourney game on the deadline, so I can already see who I'm facing next round when I'm picking skill ups".

If it's a friendly tabletop league, end of the match is absolutely fine.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

My league players do all team editing at the end of a match, but I allow them to change their mind on what ever at any point until they play again. We dont have a schedual and play whoever is around at time and this works for us. No one here does the whole metagaming, "Goblins next? I'll take Tackle." thing.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

lunchmoney wrote:My league players do all team editing at the end of a match, but I allow them to change their mind on what ever at any point until they play again. We dont have a schedual and play whoever is around at time and this works for us. No one here does the whole metagaming, "Goblins next? I'll take Tackle." thing.
The issue isn’t normally knowing what race you are playing next but the specific skills they take. So if you are playing a High Elf team that managed to skill up 3 players and they all take dodge and you have no tackle then it will be very tempting to take tackle on your 2 Orc blitzers that skilled up over guard or MB.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

spubbbba wrote:
lunchmoney wrote:My league players do all team editing at the end of a match, but I allow them to change their mind on what ever at any point until they play again. We dont have a schedual and play whoever is around at time and this works for us. No one here does the whole metagaming, "Goblins next? I'll take Tackle." thing.
The issue isn’t normally knowing what race you are playing next but the specific skills they take. So if you are playing a High Elf team that managed to skill up 3 players and they all take dodge and you have no tackle then it will be very tempting to take tackle on your 2 Orc blitzers that skilled up over guard or MB.
We dont have that problem either.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TalonBay »

If you let coaches pick at any point up to their next match then it's possible to tailor your selection to the next opponent, this has to be balanced against the long term needs of the team so I don't see any problems with it.

The Daventry League: Pitchblack Stealers http://www.level10.org/BloodBowl/index.php?section=main
Proud Owner of the TFF Minisorca Vikings Legacy 2011 viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36011
pauli42
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pauli42 »

We do all the dice rolling stuff at the post-sequence after the game. And 24h before your next game, your online roster have to be up to date.

fe2mike
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fe2mike »

Cool, thanks for the info guys.

Iron Mike
fe2mike
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fe2mike »

Cool, thanks for the info guys.

Iron Mike
van der vaart
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by van der vaart »

TalonBay wrote:If you let coaches pick at any point up to their next match then it's possible to tailor your selection to the next opponent, this has to be balanced against the long term needs of the team so I don't see any problems with it.
This. Our league doesnt have any problems with it and the coaches cant just look to the next game when they might have another 5 games to go. Sure that tackle may help in their next game against elves but if there next two games are against dwarves they have to think about it a bit more

Commish of the Geelong And Regions Blood Bowl League;GARBBL!
Check us out at http://geelong.bloodbowlleague.com or Follow us on Twitter! https://twitter.com/#!/GARBBL
I have a blog! http://nubs11.blog.com/
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Ah, but invariably some games will be more important than others and it is more a specific game. If the 2 main league contenders are both facing each other next then it becomes even more important, one coach picking all his skills 1st and taking strip ball might cause the other to give his main ball carrier sure hands and get an advantage from that.

I’ve seen some sneaky play in FUMBBL majors (which are knock out tournaments) where a coach has fired healthy players or dropped re-rolls just to gain a wizard inducement. So you can end up with an odd meta-game about who will make all their team changes 1st.

I don’t think it’s an issue to tailor you team to future know league opponents in general, so taking tackle if you are due to face a few elf and zon teams, or getting some fend if the league goes PO heavy. It’s just for specific games that it is an issue, particularly in things like the playoffs for the title if you have those.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.