Being Pushed off the Pitch

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Rewslaun
Veteran
Veteran

Being Pushed off the Pitch

Post by Rewslaun »

Greetings,

I recently played a game where my player was on the sideline (x) and my opponent put one of his players (o) in front of me on the sideline. He then hit me with his other player on an angle and pushed me out of bounds. I wasn't certain that I should be pushed out. He argued that since the only legal space for him to push me on the board was not empty that I had to be pushed out. I didn't think you could push someone out by hitting them on an angle. I thought his other player should be chain pushed a space and my player would slide down. We ended up pushing the player out of bounds because I couldn't find anything in the book to back me up but I'd really like some confirmation one way or another. It doesn't matter to me what the rule is, I just want to be ready next time this comes up. Any help is appreciated.

Code: Select all

- - - -|- - - - - - -|- - - -
- o - -|- - - - - - -|- - - -
x - - -|- - - - - - -|- - - -
o - - -|- - - - - - -|- - - -

Reason: ''
Winged_Human
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Being Pushed off the Pitch

Post by Winged_Human »

Your opponent had it correct. When your only available option is to be in a square that lands out of bounds, then you place your player in the reserves box and roll injury and apply the result.

this is commonly referred to as "crowd surfing" and is a VERY effective way to get out High AV targets that are left on the sideline.

"Never trust the Manlings."
outcast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by outcast »

From the CRP (I had it handy!):

"Players must be pushed off the pitch if there are no eligible empty squares on the pitch."

However, a square containing only the ball is considered empty (the ball bounces as usual).

"Good work ain't cheap. Cheap work ain't good." - Norman “Sailor Jerry” Collins
Rewslaun
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rewslaun »

Thanks guys.

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

outcasttex wrote:From the CRP (I had it handy!):

"Players must be pushed off the pitch if there are no eligible empty squares on the pitch."
To be honest I wish this line would be restated. I could see potential confusion with the "no eligible empty squares.." some coaches could take this to mean you could be pushed to any tackle zone (outside of the usual three locations you are eligible to be pushed back to). Of course the push back follows the normal rules, however. After have written forms and manuals for a board game and at work I have come to the conclusion that almost any interpretation is possible on any matter.. lol.

If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

First that phrase has to be taken in context, there are lots of text before it. But it could be changed to "Sometimes 2 of the 3 elegible squares will represent terrain out of the pitch; in such case the player must be pushed off only if the on pitch square is occupied by another player." It also would give a hint about the best push direction tactic. ;)

Wylder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wylder »

Steam Ball wrote:"Sometimes 2 of the 3 elegible squares will represent terrain out of the pitch; in such case the player must be pushed off only if the on pitch square is occupied by another player."
That would be worse to write it that way. There are often more than 3 eligible squares when Grab or Sidestep are used. It would lead to a potential interpretation that crowdpushes are possible even if the target could otherwise sidestep away. The skill text has to account for ALL eligible squares, which it does.