Bribes, secret weapons and fielding 11 players

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Skitters
Veteran
Veteran

Bribes, secret weapons and fielding 11 players

Post by Skitters »

At the Mighty Blighty event something that I wasn't sure about was whether I had to use my two bribes in order to attempt to field a full 11 in a drive immediately before half time?

I received, and got a touchdown in Turn 7 - and after injuries was able to field 9 players plus 2 special weapons (who had been active in my opening drive)

What I wanted to do was use one bribe for one of the special weapons players, and keep the second bribe so that I could use that again to hopefully keep him in play for the second half - accepting that the second secret weapon would be sent off and that I would only be fielding 10 players.

....but I was not sure if I had to attempt to field a full team. My opponent wasn't sure either so I played it that I had to try to field 11 players (using both bribes) as I thought it better to take the route that would least disadvantage my opponent if I was wrong.

Note I did try arguing the call first in the hope that it would save a bribe or two and had my coach sent off!

Reason: ''
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Bribes, secret weapons and fielding 11 players

Post by Vanguard »

No, you're under no obligation to use Bribes (or Argue the Call) to achieve 11 available players.
When setting up, you must field 11 players if they are available (ie. in Reserves) but players who have been previously sent off are not available and so not considered.
It would have been perfectly legal to accept one player being Sent Off and save your second bribe to keep the other player on for the second half.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

+1 to what Vanguard said.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Skitters
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Skitters »

Thanks for confirming both- I thought that would be the case, and will keep it in mind if ever in the same position in the future

Athanatos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Athanatos »

I'm relatively new to the game and not played with Secret Weapons or Bribes yet.

Presumably you don't have the option to not use a bribe, field 9 players for turn 8 and then use both bribes to get 11 on the pitch for the second half (ie a bribe only works as the player is sent of and can't be used later)

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Yes, you're correct. As per the rules for Secret Weapon players are sent off at the end of a drive. (There is a timeline for the exact sequence of events at the end/start of a drive, hopefully someone will chip in with a link). The option to use a Bribe (or Argue the Call) is only available at the point at which the player is sent off. Once that is complete, it cannot be revisited at a later point in the game.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Athanatos wrote:Presumably you don't have the option to not use a bribe, field 9 players for turn 8 and then use both bribes to get 11 on the pitch for the second half (ie a bribe only works as the player is sent of and can't be used later)
You can choose to not use the bribes, and play with 9 for the rest of the match (cards, injuries, etc aside).