Dump Off and Diving Catch...

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Daht
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Dump Off and Diving Catch...

Post by Daht »

Can a thower-type use dump off when getting hit/blitzed to throw to an adjacent square and then use diving catch to catch his own dump off, thereby earning 1spp and otherwise just being an obnoxious showoff?

Reading thru both skills it appears so, unless there is some errata elsewhere to disallow it.

Reason: ''
Daht
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Dump Off and Diving Catch...

Post by Daht »

Actually thinking about it, can any diving catch player toss a quick pass to an adjacent square and catch it for a spp?

Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

You have to be in the targeted square for the SPP to be earned. See the topics on using diving catch to get around animosity.

So you can't pass to yourself to earn SPP, but I don't see anything that says you can't combine dump-off and diving catch in the way you describe.

"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton
Daht
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Daht »

Right.. the passing spp describes it having to be an accurate pass caught in the targeted square. Ah well. Still fun to do.

Runejack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Runejack »

Dzerards wrote:You have to be in the targeted square for the SPP to be earned. See the topics on using diving catch to get around animosity.

So you can't pass to yourself to earn SPP, but I don't see anything that says you can't combine dump-off and diving catch in the way you describe.
Sooo ... If you threw the ball to one of the three squares opposite to where the blitz was coming from, and then "diving caught" it, would the 'block' part of the blitz still take place since you are no longer next to the blitzing player?

Here's how it starts:
Dump-Off (Passing)
This skill allows the player to make a Quick Pass when an opponent declares that he will throw a block at him, allowing the player to get rid of the ball before he is hit. Work out the Dump-Off pass before the opponent makes his block.
So this part means you get to try to throw to the empty square and then diving catch it before the block occurs. Assuming the dice are kind you are suddenly one square away from the blitzing player.
The normal throwing rules apply, except that neither team's turn ends as a result of the throw, whatever it may be. After the throw is worked out your opponent completes the block, and then carries on with his turn.
So the Blitzing player is all set to do the block part of the blitz, but suddenly there is no one next to him to block. So this is the grey area. The normal idea of Dump-Off is that you are throwing the ball and that the blocker is forced to complete his block there. This makes me wonder if the player would be allowed to move one more square before throwing the block? Would he somehow do a Zen block at long range and then still be able to follow up into the square 2 squares away? What if it was a blocking player instead of a blitzing player? Would that change things at all?

Has this been already settled somewhere? Part of me really thinks that the block just would no longer happen, but the other part of me thinks that it's a crazy situation that probably involves some rules interpretations I'm not aware of.

Needless to say I think it would be so much fun to have a Dump-Off, Diving-Catch, Dark Elf Runner just for laughs.

Thanks,

Joel

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

@Joel

A player do not move with diving catch.

Maybe you are thinking of diving tackle?

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Nice interpretation! But what's the point, as surely it would be the same as not using dump off at all (if you ignore the SPP bit).

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Runejack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Runejack »

Bakunin wrote:@Joel

Thanks for that, I was confusing the rules. In fact, I've never actually used the skill Diving Catch myself come to think of it! Maybe it's time I tried a Human team?

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

Runejack wrote:

Thanks for that, I was confusing the rules. In fact, I've never actually used the skill Diving Catch myself come to think of it! Maybe it's time I tried a Human team?
Slann :smoking:

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Bakunin wrote:
Runejack wrote:

Slann :smoking:
Green elves and spam....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"