Take Root Query

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Take Root Query

Post by Aliboon »

Following on from the tentacles/hypno gaze thread, it got me thinking about Take Root.

If you are caught by tentacles, you can't do anything, so if you wanted to blitz, you couldn't hit the tentacled player once you'd failed, or if you wanted to pass, you couldn't pass after you were held etc

But I think that if a tree Takes Root, then unless it was a blitz action (as it is specifically mentioned), then he can carry on with his turn, so could TTM (or hand off, or pass, or foul)?

Reason: ''
Oventa
Veteran
Veteran

Take Root Query

Post by Oventa »

... Or Block

So yes

Buck's
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Take Root Query

Post by Buck's »

If my tree is rooted, can I use my Blitz in the next round to use Juggernaut ?

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

hmmm
good question
he may not use the current turn's Blitz
and if you are rooted you do NOT roll take root (until you fall down)
you may block adjacent players

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

[Edit: My apologies. I appear to have mis-read the question, and also I make a persistent rules error in this thread. So please feel free to treat my following posts as for entertainment only... Some would say "what's new" :D .]
Aliboon wrote:If you are caught by tentacles, you can't do anything, so if you wanted to blitz, you couldn't hit the tentacled player once you'd failed, or if you wanted to pass, you couldn't pass after you were held etc
Being in a Tentacled Tackle Zone doesn't prevent a player from doing anything, it just forces him to make an "escape" roll if he attempts to dodge or leap away. A player can take any action you wish while in a Tentacled TZ (Block, Blitz, Pass, Hand-Off, Foul etc.). He may Block or Blitz the Tentacled player, for example.

If a player loses his own Tackle Zone by being Hypno-Gazed, he likewise is not prevented from doing anything, and may make take any action you like. The restriction is that the player does not regain his TZ until he takes an action.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Smeborg wrote:A player can take any action you wish while in a Tentacled TZ (Block, Blitz, Pass, Hand-Off, Foul etc.). He may Block or Blitz the Tentacled player, for example.
Not if it's failed to escape, which is what Aliboon said.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

You don't make the tents roll until you attempt to leave the TZs, so you can block him (either through a Block Action or a Blitz Action where you don't move first) without taking a tents roll. The moment you try to get out of those TZs though (dodge or leap are specified, so you could sidestep away on your opponent's turn) you make the tents roll and, if 5 or less is rolled, your action ends.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Darkson wrote:
Smeborg wrote:A player can take any action you wish while in a Tentacled TZ (Block, Blitz, Pass, Hand-Off, Foul etc.). He may Block or Blitz the Tentacled player, for example.
Not if it's failed to escape, which is what Aliboon said.
The player may take all of these actions without attempting to leave the Tentacled TZ. Or he can take all of these actions when he has attempted to leave the Tentacled TZ and has failed to escape. For example, he may pass or hand of the ball (if he is holding it), or he may take a Blitz action and block the Tentacled player (or another adjacent player), and so on. There is no restriction on the actions that he can take.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Actually, that's not what Tom has said - if you declare a Blitz, try to move away from the Tents and fail you can't then re-direct the blitz onto the Tents player. If you fail a Tents roll you action ends.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Darkson wrote:If you fail a Tents roll you action ends.
Correct

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Darkson wrote:Actually, that's not what Tom has said - if you declare a Blitz, try to move away from the Tents and fail you can't then re-direct the blitz onto the Tents player. If you fail a Tents roll you action ends.
I agree, but I'm not aware that anyone has suggested you could ever change the target of your Blitz after you have declared it.

Smeborg the Fleshless
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

Actually
You declare a Blitz action
You do not decide whom to throw the block against until you are adjacent to your desired target.
Aka a Mini blitz into thin air

Smeborg wrote:
Darkson wrote:Actually, that's not what Tom has said - if you declare a Blitz, try to move away from the Tents and fail you can't then re-direct the blitz onto the Tents player. If you fail a Tents roll you action ends.
I agree, but I'm not aware that anyone has suggested you could ever change the target of your Blitz after you have declared it.

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

You declare the target of the Blitz when you are adjacent to the target and roll for a Block. So this can be the Tentacled player, for example after you have failed a Tentacles roll.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Darkson wrote:If you fail a Tents roll you action ends.
Correct
I stand corrected, that is indeed what is says in the rulebook.

Smeborg the Fleshless
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

You confused me...
If the very first step of the blitz is to block the adjacent beast of nurgle first: there is no tentacule roll to do at this moment? but directly the block roll, right?

It was logic to me, that the blitz was lost only we first target to move from a tackle zone of the beast (when we dodge, we have to target the square...)