Animosity + pass in an empty square

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

ssb

Animosity + pass in an empty square

Post by ssb »

Hi guys !
A player with this skill does not like players from his team that are a different race than he is and will often refuse to play with them despite the coach's orders. If this player at the end of his Hand-off or Pass Action attempts to hand-off or pass the ball to a team-mate that is not the same race as the Animosity player, roll a D6. On a 2+, the pass/hand-off is carried out as normal. On a 1, the player refuses to give the ball to any team-mate except one of his own race. The coach may choose to change the target of the pass/hand-off to another team-mate of the same race as the Animosity player, however no more movement is allowed for the Animosity player, so the current Action may be lost for the turn.
If an animosity roll is failed ! Can the player throw the ball in an empty square ?

What if the empty square is in the tackle zone of a player of a different race that has the skill "Diving catch"...

Galak ! Your opinion would be valued ! :)

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Animosity + pass in an empty square

Post by lunchmoney »

The coach may choose to change the target of the pass/hand-off to another team-mate of the same race as the Animosity player
An empty square is not a team-mate of the same race.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Correct ... an empty square is not a team mate. Diving Catch works well with Animosity for this reason.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
ssb

Post by ssb »

So can you throw to an empty square ? Or not ?

I don't really understand your sentence... ^^

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

I think I misunderstood things... my comments have been revoked...

If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

ssb wrote:So can you throw to an empty square ? Or not ?

I don't really understand your sentence... ^^
ssb wrote: If an animosity roll is failed ! Can the player throw the ball in an empty square ?
lunchmoney wrote:
The coach may choose to change the target of the pass/hand-off to another team-mate of the same race as the Animosity player
An empty square is not a team-mate of the same race.
After a failed Animosity roll you cannot change the target to an an empty square.

ssb wrote:What if the empty square is in the tackle zone of a player of a different race that has the skill "Diving catch"...
Targeting an empty square next to someone with DC avoids the Animosity roll, but it has to be the first target.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
ssb

Post by ssb »

So why does Galak say that : "Diving Catch works well with Animosity for this reason"

It makes no sense...

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Because if you know you'll need to make an animosity roll to a player (say the DE passing to a Skaven on the Pact team), give the player Diving Catch, then pass the ball to an empty square next to them, meaning there's no Animosity roll.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

ssb wrote:So can you throw to an empty square ? Or not ?
Sorry ... the rules say you HAVE to throw it to a team-mate or not at all if you fail the Animosity roll ... so no ... you cannot throw it to an empty square after you fail.

Diving Catch is a better plan. Then you throw the ball to an empty square in the first place and never have to roll for Animosity (like Darkson said).

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Does that make sense? Anyone less than AG4 is still going to benefit just as much from the direct pass with extra arms on the receiver (2+ animosity, 2+ catch for AG3 receiver) as they would from throwing to an empty adjacent square with DC (no animosity roll, 3+ catch).

It strikes me that there's nothing in it, except that all of your sub-ST5 players have access to Extra Arms, whereas only two have access to Diving Catch. Its therefore significantly cheaper to take the EA. Nothing about DC stands out to me as being useful for pact TBH, over and above what you can achieve with it on other teams at least.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

It makes sense if you are worried about being able to always throw the ball to the player. EArms will do nothing to solve the issue with Animosity not throwing the pass. Diving Catch will.

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Let's say you dump-off the ball to an empty square. Would this then give your opponent a chance to intercept? And would the ball not scatter three times from the empty space before the player with diving catch has a chance to nab it?

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Yes (unless you throw to an empty square adjacent to you, ie not further away than the interceptor), and no (that's only if inaccurately passed)

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Re:

Post by celticgriffon »

Shteve0 wrote:Yes (unless you throw to an empty square adjacent to you, ie not further away than the interceptor), and no (that's only if inaccurately passed)
Of course. I think I should go back to bed. I am fumbling left and right today.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Tom - that still feels very situational, and there may equally well be times where you don't want the turnover (so the 2+,2+ would be favourable over a 3+ in that only 5 results in 36 cause a turnover without a reroll). There's not enough of a benefit over comparable skills, for me, to see it as a good pick or even synergistic... Id personally rather take Pro for the animosity player instead, and leader on a marauder. Just my two cents :)