Unnecessary rolls

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Unnecessary rolls

Post by Gaixo »

Say that a coach rolled a GFI for a player, failed, and then recalled that the player had +1 MA and needn't have made the roll. Should the failure count? What if they had already rerolled it?

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Unnecessary rolls

Post by lunchmoney »

Gaixo wrote:Say that a coach rolled a GFI for a player, failed, and then recalled that the player had +1 MA and needn't have made the roll. Should the failure count? What if they had already rerolled it?
Depends. In most cases I'd let my opponent take the roll (and reroll) back. If my opponent is being a douche then I wouldn't. And saying that, only in one game ever (in all my league and tourney matches) have I had an opponent who fell into that category, and I've never seen him since.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

Thanks. It was a league semifinal and one of the coaches wanted to force the issue. To me, it didn't seem quite the same as forgetting a skill.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

Technically
We're any other rolls made after?
If not he technically did not GFI so technically did not fail the roll.

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

In this instance, he rolled GFI, failed, rerolled it, passed. I believe that he then moved one other player (no rolls involved), before remembering his MA increase. He went to retrieve his reroll token and the opponent objected.

But yeah, as I said, it didn't seem to be the same as forgetting to use dodge or whatever.

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Gaixo wrote:In this instance, he rolled GFI, failed, rerolled it, passed. I believe that he then moved one other player (no rolls involved), before remembering his MA increase. He went to retrieve his reroll token and the opponent objected.

But yeah, as I said, it didn't seem to be the same as forgetting to use dodge or whatever.
I want a game of blood bowl to be as 'true' as possible. For example I believe it's the onus of the owning player to remind the opposition of a niggling injury when rolling for injuries, watching your opponent roll a 9 and put such a player in the KO box is tantamount to lying in my book. So I would not punish someone (or expect to be punished) who made a genuine mistake as long as no further dice have been rolled. Of course once you've moved on and blocked/dodged/fouled someone it's too late.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

In our club we'd expect the player to take the 1 as their next roll (and reroll). If they'd already rolled dice since the error, tough, they don't get the reroll back.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

Fassbinder75 wrote:
Gaixo wrote:In this instance, he rolled GFI, failed, rerolled it, passed. I believe that he then moved one other player (no rolls involved), before remembering his MA increase. He went to retrieve his reroll token and the opponent objected.

I want a game of blood bowl to be as 'true' as possible. For example I believe it's the onus of the owning player to remind the opposition of a niggling injury when rolling for injuries, watching your opponent roll a 9 and put such a player in the KO box is tantamount to lying in my book.
in this case the mistake is the opposite, it will benefit to the opponent, not to the player. Whenevr i don't play in league, I also expect my opponent to handle his players stats and niglings. if he forget a bonus then he can only blame himself. Also depending on the player level i would allow him to keep his rreroll or not. if it is a rookie coach and i tis his first final i would allow (invoke the "it is just a game" argument). but if it is an experienced coach, then not rollback (invoke the "it is your own fault" argument)

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

it happened once to me at the end of th 4th round of a one-day tourney...
i said: "i use wrestle", but then i throwed - i don't why - 2 dices of 6...
very confusing for my opponent...

Wylder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wylder »

My preferred approach is that any roll that is "incorrect" in any way, is discounted entirely, regardless of situation or which faces are showing. This applies to rolling dice before required (as in the example, GFI can't exist unless out of movement). Rolling too many dice (rolling a 2db, which on examination is 1d). Rolling too few dice (rolling a 1db, which on examination is 2db). Many other examples exist.

The reason for this is that any other approach is subject to gaming.

For example, one suggestion above:
In our club we'd expect the player to take the 1 as their next roll
This is a poor suggestion, as it technically allows for gaming the odds. For example, if I was devious enough, I could "accidentally" roll GFIs regularly on my last square of movement prior to requiring an actual GFI. If I pass, then great, take the square, plus the GFI square. However, if I fail, I simply state that I never meant to move the player that far and (as per the above rules) know that I have to use the '1' for my next roll. I now know that my next roll is a fail, so I don't roll any dodges or ball handling rolls. I simply position my players and roll blocks, declining to use the '1' through the turn. If you absolutely force me to use it, I use it at the very end of my turn, on a pickup roll, or move my least useful player 1 GFI, as failing it is the least impact.

Similarly, rolling the wrong number of block dice can be used to game the odds if people don't disallow all dice. For example, I've seen some people 'accidentally' roll two dice for a one dice block. If the faces come up the same (say two Pows/DefStumbles) then they say "well it doesn't matter which dice, so I just knock you down", however when the odds are calculated mathematically, this actually improves their odds of a knockdown over the odds if they'd just rolled one dice. Further, there's no guarantee that they'd apply similar reasoning if two skulls were shown, unless agreed in advance. Using this method, anyone can enter a game, not agree this in advance, then use the "accidental" wrong dice roll to reroll all dice where disparate faces show until a double pow exists, then claim the hit. If a double skulls shows first, just say that it still needs to be rerolled.

The only safe way to correct errors in BB that doesn't allow for gaming of the system is to ensure that ALL dice that have any errors incorporated into the roll are discarded ENTIRELY. Anything else is subject to playing the system for advantage.

In summary, the roll wasn't for a GFI, so it wasn't for anything. Make him proceed with his turn.

Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

I dont really agree with the maths of rolling 2 dice instead of just 1, but never mind it's not important :-)

Definitely do not agree with holding dice results in reserve for the next roll though!