Would you ever give up a strength/agility/movement increase?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Definetly wouldn't turn down the ST on a Tree.

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
el sid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el sid »

Coach Alex wrote:Well, I recently gave up the first stat increase I had in my short coach's life. +1MA on a linerat to give him kick instead. If only I could've gained it with my GRs :(
That's a pity. MA is your main strength playing Skaven. Maximising MA whenever possible will allow you to focus even more on your strength, creating an even bigger gap between you and your opponent.

My current Skaven team played 12 games. I got 3 MA upgrades, and took all of them!

MA 8 Storm Vermin: great bodyguard for Gutter Runners, potent scoring player, excellent blitzer

MA 10 Gutter Runner: no comment, but I'm not turning it into a one-turner (too boring)

MA 8 Thrower: reduces throwing distances, great for retreiving the ball from anywhere!

Getting all these players on the pitch really makes a difference for my team. I can stretch my lines much longer than any of my opponents. My ball handling becomes more easy, because I can run just that little bit further to reduce pass lengths, less going-for-its... Getting assists in the proper place also becomes more easy.

Opponents tend to underestimate high MA. Looking at the field, it looks so big to most people. Especially if you're used to playing Orcs, Chaos, Dwarfs or similar teams. From time to time it happens an opponent is taken completely by surprise by the movement of my Skaven, believing it was not possible to get a player or the ball at a certain place (most of the time the End-Zone!). Just because the distances looked so big.

Spending some going-for-its on MA8 - MA10 Skaven players reduces the size of the board dramatically! This will take many an opponent by surprise.

So in short: As a Skaven player, I take a MA upgrade on ANY player, even my Rat Ogre (unless I rolled a double 5: Block).

El Sid

TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

So far this league I have turned down 2 MA upgrades:
a double 5 on a mummy -> I took block (mummies have no gen acces in our league), +MA mummies are great but in a khemri team at least 2 of them need block IMHO or you suffer too many blocking turnovers
a 4+6 on a de blitzer -> I took dodge, normally I'd take the +MA but he had already gotten +AG on the first skill and opponents were really going for the kill on this guy, so I took dodge to keep him on his feet and haven't regretted it so far

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
el sid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el sid »

TuernRedvenom wrote:a 4+6 on a de blitzer -> I took dodge, normally I'd take the +MA but he had already gotten +AG on the first skill and opponents were really going for the kill on this guy, so I took dodge to keep him on his feet and haven't regretted it so far
Too bad your Blitzer will die tomorrow because of my Tackle Storm Vermin...

Je zal morgen toch ook van de partij zijn bij Seb, hoop ik? Ik heb al lang niet meer het voorrecht gehad de vloer aan te vegen met één van je teams!

El Sid

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I've taken the AG increases on trolls (actually 2 in the same team both got +AG). :o Kept them because its fluffy & funny. I don't think it ever made a difference to them.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Laerderon
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Laerderon »

well, I gave up a +st. Had a Kroxigor. First one was already +st. So he had st6. Second one was also st. But despite giving him st7 i gave him Block. Was indeed a good point, next two games i would have had a lot of turnovers without block. Well, he died the game after. 7dwarves surrounding him... One dirty player... Poor little Kroxigor.

Pravus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pravus »

It horses for courses, but there are no occassions I would not take a stat increase on my Norse.

matkov
Experienced
Experienced

Post by matkov »

Depends on team and league you play. We have 12 rounds league and so far I dropped +AG on mummie (1st skill), +MA(5,5) on Blitz Ra - because he allready have +MA, +AG on skeleton (7th round, I really want DP).

I kept +MA on mummie, +MA on Blitz Ra, +MA on skeleton.

Dam
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Dam »

Was scanning the team sheets over on PBEMBBL, saw something that surprised the hell out of me. Someone had taken +AG on Mummy as their first skill (1 CAS, 1 MVP), instead of going with Block :o . Maybe it's just me, but I'd pretty much take a skill on a Mummy anytime over +AG :-? .

Rotter: 4/4/2/9; Foul Appearance, Regenerate, Dirty Player

"A dirty mind is its own reward."
Cloggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cloggy »

Perhaps the coach is aiming for the all time record for completions by Mummies? :wink:

My Bulls have the "Thin Skull" trait. After every block they make, roll a D6. On a 1+ they get ko-ed and stay in the ko-box for the rest of the game.
Dam
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Dam »

Maybe :lol: .

There is a current Vamp team at the home league (with just 5 games under its belt so far) that has a +ST vamp. He recently got to 16 SPPs, and I found myself really hoping he wouldn't roll double 6 on the skill roll. He didn't but even then I probably would passed the +ST, in order to take a trait. 6/5/4/8 is nice enough, adding ST6 would have made him still fail his block rolls with skull/pow, plus he could be brought down even with 2-d against by a player with block reasonably well.

Rotter: 4/4/2/9; Foul Appearance, Regenerate, Dirty Player

"A dirty mind is its own reward."
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Gave up a (6,4) MA on a Golem yesterday, but only because it was his first skill, and he desperately needs Block! Otherwise I would have taken it.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Jimmy Nids
Rookie
Rookie

I gave up AG

Post by Jimmy Nids »

I'm currently playing Dark Elves and my team is getting a lot of stat ups. I currently have 2 Block ST+1 linemen(1 with Guard), an ST+1 Block Tackle Witch Elf, and 2 AG+1 Dodge Leap Blitzers(1 with Guard)

My second Blitzer rolled a second AG+ which would have made him a 7 3 6 8 Blodge player, but I opted for the 7 3 5 8 Blodge Leap instead. Dodging on a 2+ into 1TZ is usually enough, and with him leaping on a 2+, you don't really need him to Dodge on much more than a 3+ ever(you would leap with a reroll instead)

AG5 is enough for most players if you want them to be well rounded or have a more offensive orientation... Elves shouldn't take AG 6 unless they are a passer or catcher type position.

Thats my 2 cents <patink> <patink>

Gus
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gus »

AG6 is perfectly useless for throwing the ball.
it is useful however for crazy dodges and ball retrieval, plus interceptions of course.

I do it for the pun of it !
Ravage
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ravage »

yeah it's been discussed before, AG6 is a waste on a thrower. Pass up the second +AG and take Accurate (or another skill if he has Accurate already) instead, you can throw Long Bombs on 3+ instead of 4+.