Would you ever give up a strength/agility/movement increase?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

it's a waste on a thrower if ALL he ever does is pick up the ball in no tackle zones and then throws it.

if you play him on defense, an ag6 thrower is terrifying.

Reason: ''
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I pass up AG on Black Orcs, but not MA (at least not the first time). I once had a Black Orc with MA5 and Block. Back then, Orcs had access to Ogres (man, I have some beautiful Ogres, but I don't want to paint my Human team black and orange), so with an Ogre, it was like having 6 Blitzers -- better, in fact. He could keep up with the cage, so I just stuck the other 3 Black Orcs on the line and had him punch the hole, then take up the front or rear of the cage (depending how the blitz went), while the Ogre ran the other way with a Blitzer to force my opponent to make some painful choices about which harm's way he wanted to put each player in. He was good on the D too, 'cause he could rush the ball-carrier from the LoS unaided.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Here's my 2¢ on AG increases from 2 to 3: on players with MA5 or better, AG3 is worthwhile. On players with MA4 or less, it's not. A Chaos Warrior is better than a Black Orc Blocker because the CW has MA5 and AG3; he can keep up with the cage, and can handle the ball. An MA5 BOB can keep up with the cage, and is really good for denying territory, but you can give the CW the ball, something you'd hesitate to do with a BOB with an MA increase. However, an AG3 Black Orc or Chaos Dwarf is useless without an MA increase (or at least his AG increase is), and an AG3 Longbeard is only worthwhile (if at all) because the team needs AG so badly.

IMO, AG2 is no better than AG1 except in times of desperation, and AG1 players should always pass up AG increases. Yeah, you could get 2 AG increases on your Saurus (and that would be cool), but the odds of getting 2 AG increases in 2 rolls are 1:18^2 -- not worth considering. Nobody should ever pass up MA or ST (except on double 5s, under very unusual circumstances: if you hit your third roll with your BOB with Block and Stand Firm, it's hard not to want Dodge).

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Da_Great_MC
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Da_Great_MC »

Nobody should ever pass up MA
Rookie Elf Linemen prefer Block or Dodge.

Duke Jan
Legend
Legend
Location: Watching the great unclean armpits of a Beast Of Nurgle

Post by Duke Jan »

Don't agree with that, I have two MA8 linemen on my wood elf team, they're soooo valuable. They got block soon enough because they could easily get in positions to gain some SPP, unlike my guard lino who's still stuck at under 10 SPP and has been niggled in the process.

Nuffle Sucks!
Mad Jackal
Shaggy

Post by Mad Jackal »

I took (PBBL rules of course) a +1 AV Wood Elf linemen, instead of the +1 MA. I'm definately happy with that choice.

If it were double 5's I might still have given him the +1 AV. As guard would just get him killed...

Impact! Miniatures Forum
Impact! Miniatures
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."

Icepelt is my Hero.
omnimutant
Experienced
Experienced

Post by omnimutant »

I took +1 AG on my Flesh Golem as his first skill cause I thought it would become usefull at some point. I was wrong. I really should have taken Block on him I think. But alas thats how we learn.

I recently Passed Up on a +1 MV for my Werewolf too, in favor of Mighty Blow (it was double 5's). Claw + Mighty Blow is feared across the land :P

Cramy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Cramy »

For a Werewolf, I would have taken the +MV. A MV 9 Werewolf is a scary thing.

With Claw and MB, especially if you have not given him block and dodge, his days are numbered

I have a Claw/RSF Storm Vermin, and he spends most of his time in the KO or injury box. Other teams in my league have developped DP players and they reserve them just for him. Once I had Claw, I think that taking RSF was a bad idea as Stand Firm or Dodge would have been much better. But getting the oportunity of getting the Claw/RSF combo was just too much for me to resist. :D

Cramy
omnimutant
Experienced
Experienced

Post by omnimutant »

For a Werewolf, I would have taken the +MV. A MV 9 Werewolf is a scary thing.
For me if he does'nt start with 9 MV then 8 is Enough. If it's not gona be an easy 1 turner then, 8 seems to be plenty fast for getting where I need to usually. My other wolf Has Block, Mighty Blow, And AG+1. The Mighty Blow Claw combo was so devistating that I Decided that another would be awsome! Untill he gets Block he's a bit vulnerable, but I'll make him my primary scorer until he hit's 16, then take block(or duantless 8) )

Szantharis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Szantharis »

Call me crazy, but with my amazon team I will never ever take another ag+ roll again. even on a catcher or thrower. in one season I gained and lost 4 ag+ players within a game or two of their skillroll. They are cursed I tell you.
Cursed.
I love getting it, and it is a major help for my teams, but it just seems to be a death sentence for me.
on top of that, just about 2 weeks ago, I lost 2 ag+ players on Fumbbl, within a few games of getting them. cant remember which teams they were on.
oh and by lost i mean dead Or injured.

MA+ i will almost always take unless for some reason i badly need a skill. zon and chaos teams can always use the extra movement. with other teams there's situations where i would pass on it. Block on big buys etc...

St+ on a str2,(stunties) I'll only pass it if I dont have a DP or Kicker. it also depends on who i will be playing against in my leagues/tournies.
on a str3 and 4 I'll never pass it up. too valuable. On any big guy I'll pass it up almost every time for Block/tackle/mutations. but then again, i've never had this come up as I hate big guys with a burning passion and rarely if ever use them.

wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

Szantharis wrote:Call me crazy, but with my amazon team I will never ever take another ag+ roll again. even on a catcher or thrower. in one season I gained and lost 4 ag+ players within a game or two of their skillroll. They are cursed I tell you.
Cursed.
OK, you're crazy. You asked for it. 3 times even by the looks of it. Sure your players die, they're AV7. You still can't tell me the AG4 didn't make them better while they were alive.

Every 'zon dies. Not every 'zon truly lives.

Rookie

Post by Redeemer31 »

I gave up a +1 move for my Troll Slayer. I rolled 2 fives so I opted to give him 'Stand Firm' instead. Not sure if it was the best thing to do but I only have one more game before playoffs so chances are he won't get another skill.

Was lucky enough to get a +1 AG for one of my Runners last game! Whee, I can actually pick up the ball now! :D

Mad Jackal
Shaggy

Post by Mad Jackal »

Redeemer31 wrote:I gave up a +1 move for my Troll Slayer. I rolled 2 fives so I opted to give him 'Stand Firm' instead. Not sure if it was the best thing to do but I only have one more game before playoffs so chances are he won't get another skill.

Was lucky enough to get a +1 AG for one of my Runners last game! Whee, I can actually pick up the ball now! :D
If you push lots of guys off the pitch, (and there is little juggernaut in yor league) then I'd agree that was a good choice.

Even if you don't, then making the other player un-able to push him off of them is still pretty valuable. If he's always scrumming, the extra move wouldn't help much.

If you made an error, I can't believe it was a big one.

Impact! Miniatures Forum
Impact! Miniatures
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."

Icepelt is my Hero.
Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

I took myself a lovely +AG +ST werewolf and he's a machine now

Might blow block and dodge later and he just decorates the pitch with blood

not too bad for tding too

has only once become a target

shagga
Veteran
Veteran

Post by shagga »

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=playe ... id=2949295

This is my gobbos, stunty troll and a perfect example of where maybe I should have turned down the +ST. He had block and rolled the +ST so I figured he'd be awesome with mulitple block only 15 further SPP's away. Since then my other troll who I took tackle on at the same time has now got 18 more SPP's and has the rather nice Block, Pro, Tackle Multiple Block combo.

I guess this is an extreme case but I now need to guide him through 2 more skill rolls (and hope I'm lucky on ageing) to get Pro and Tackle. I figure tackle will definately be his next skill though. Who knows if I'm lucky he could be a great troll but I'm not holding my breath now.

*Edit* Just noticed he had a interception 2 games ago lol