Jump Up

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

High & Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

Jump Up

Post by High & Mighty »

Anyone think it would be too powerful to allow jump up to be used when receiving a hand off or pass. I know some have suggested that it be allowed before a pass block. This would seem to make it consistent and make it a real viable option for an agility player (who tends to spend alot of time on his kiester anyway) who rolls doubles.

Also, any chance the wording for the skill could be cleaned up a little in the rule book. "Can be used before ANY action" leaves it up to interpretation that I can choose to use it during my opponent's blitz action (doesn't say whose action. :D)

Reason: ''
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

As for the second part i believe it does say "at the start of the player move". The first part would be nice but i doubt anyone would salute that idea on the flag pole (thinks all the corporate speak is silly and uses it to amuse himself).

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
High & Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by High & Mighty »

The skill says:

"A player with this skill may stand up for free at the start of any
action
; he does not have to pay three squares of movement. This
means that the player can take a Block action even when he is
prone, because he can stand up for free at the start of the action."

Would it really be so bad o let him stand up during the opponents turn? They go for the blitz and all of a sudden, BOING, up pops Mrs. Witchelf to negate an assist.

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Now there is an amusing/evil/despicable idea. I like the way u think. :D

P.S. Is there any way we mite be able to get a grinning devil in addition to the frowning one?

Hermit Monk of the RCN
NAF Member #4329
SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

I'm not a rulz guru (!), but if it states before any action, why not before any of the other team's action???

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Because that qualifies as "rules lawyering," and we'd have to make the rulebook impossibly thick to prevent against such cheesy interpretations :)

-Chet

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

"Rules Lawyering" - a term invented by GW once they realized that they couldn't write a rulebook properly. :P

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

I will defend GW on this (lord help me), people will take advantage of any opening given. GW would never be able to write a rulebook even for tictactoe less than 100 pages if they had to make everything perfectly correct and crystal clear.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
NAF Member #4329
SixFootDwarf
Experienced
Experienced

Oy, the rules lawyer issue...

Post by SixFootDwarf »

I think GW might not get too detailed because they rely on us as players to use a bit of common sense. The "at the start of any action" applies to any of HIS actions, meaning the player in question.

Trying to stand up a Jump Up player on the other team's turn is crazy. That would mean he Jumped Up the turn he was knocked down! That is SO against the intention of the skill. Why no just stand him back up right after he was knocked down? Or better yet, say he's unblockable because he can just get up whenever he wants anyway??

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Personally 6 foot, alot of people think that as a trait Jump up now tanks (bites the big one, sucks, bites). Sure it helps with pile on and a few blitz/block problems, but there are many other much more useful uses for doubles.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
NAF Member #4329
High & Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by High & Mighty »

That's why I was thinking it might not be so terrible to allow Jump Up to be more powerful if it is going to be a trait. Look at Stand Firm. That's a Strength Trait that allows a player to never be pushed back and never have a dodge result in a turnover. That seems pretty powerful too. Probably why Agility teams can't get it anymore. :evil:

As for the current wording of the skill, it's just odd that other skills explicitly mention 'after an opposing player has declared a pass', 'made a dodge roll'. Dump-off says the player can make a quick pass when an opposing player declares a block at him, not just whenever an opposing player declares a block at anybody, or when any block is declared at all. Jump Up is the only skill/trait worded in such a vague manner that it never explicitly says whose action. IT may be obvious, but as the only exception, it draws attention.

As an aside, did anyone ever play the PC Bloodbowl game? Am I wrong or was a player with Jump Up in that allowed to stand up at the start of the team turn even if you didn't come back to them till later in that team turn (Perhaps that's just the way BB was in 2nd Ed or something). That wouldn't be such a bad addition to the trait either.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Better upgrade to Jump Up that doesn't have it kick in outside of an action would be to allow it to be used with Pass Block ...simple upgrade ... I'm not comfortable with the standup before the catch upgrade.

Galak

Piepgrass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Piepgrass »

I am playing in a league where we allow the JU to be used in conjunction with Passblock.
Its has proved usefull and interestingwithout unbalancing the game.

Regards
Piepgrass

[size=150][color=red]VICIOUS[/color][/size]
The Copenhagen Wight.
SixFootDwarf
Experienced
Experienced

Post by SixFootDwarf »

You DO have a point, Sean...spending a doubles roll on being able to get up for free isn't as good as some other skills. Stand Firm for example is quite possibly the best trait out there. But every skill/trait can't be a double-edged whopper like Tackle, Dodge, or Stand Firm. To have great skills, there has to be some ordinary ones too, right? haha

I've played the PC game, H&M, and THAT would be a good new use for J.U. At the start of your turn he pops up automatically and you can move others before him, just as if he was standing at the start of the turn. I'd vote for that.

But having him get up during your opponents turn could cause some real timing issues...like what if your opponent has a player next to the prone Jumper and as soon as he starts to move his player, you grab YOUR player and try to make him make a dodge roll? Things like that would create a lot of debate.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Hmm....just as a sidenote, one of my (very technically gifted) opponents at Res. asked me if he could use Jump Up, then pass the ball to the Jumping up player, and then steam off down the pitch with it!
Despite being infallibly polite about the whole issue, my sportsmanship point disappeared there and then, and I knew it...... :wink:

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."