B-r-e-t-t-o-n-i-a-n-s, really why not?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Bretts, really why not?

They don't fit into bloodbowl
14%
They would be too close to a pre-existing team
19%
I hate bretts
8%
They don't fit fluff wise
12%
I wouldn't mind a brett team if it was well designed.
47%

Total votes: 186

Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Re: Brettonians, really why not?

Post by Smurf »

You want me to find the printed 'bret' list don't you?

Reason: ''
The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Asperon Thorn.
I tried to work that into the fluff for the team, but I'm aware that it won't make a difference to you:
Chivilrous knights protect the weak and when not called to war they are training for war [snip]
Indeed few things trains a mans speed, reflexes and hand to hand combat than Blood Bowl!
OR they are participating in some sort of holy quest.
In fair Bretonnia questing for the Bloodweiser Trophy is as much a tribute to the Lady of the Lake as questing for the actual grail. :wink:

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

plasmoid wrote:Hi Asperon Thorn.
I tried to work that into the fluff for the team, but I'm aware that it won't make a difference to you:
Chivilrous knights protect the weak and when not called to war they are training for war [snip]
Indeed few things trains a mans speed, reflexes and hand to hand combat than Blood Bowl!
OR they are participating in some sort of holy quest.
In fair Bretonnia questing for the Bloodweiser Trophy is as much a tribute to the Lady of the Lake as questing for the actual grail. :wink:

Cheers
Martin
You're really reaching. . .

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Be that as it may. The questing bit has been the team background for 10 years.
I find it no more unacceptable than, say, Tomb Guardians coming back to life to play BB.

Cheers
Martin

Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

plasmoid wrote:Be that as it may. The questing bit has been the team background for 10 years.
I find it no more unacceptable than, say, Tomb Guardians coming back to life to play BB.

Cheers
Martin
Pointing out other awful fluff for other teams that shouldn't be in the game doesn't help your argument. In fact, I'd hold the Khemri up as exactly the reason that Brettonians should never become an official team.

It is really easy to houserule a new roster type into a league. It is nearly impossible to houserule one out. Back when Khemri were super broke, I tried to houserule them out of my league (as commish) and the league almost revolted. It took half a season of broken Khemri teams mauling opponents rosters and wracking up no points for them to finally come around to thinking it was a bad idea to let them stay.

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

(1) I wonder how this became about being unbalanced/broken. You didn't try to get rid of khemri because of the bad fluff. Then necro would have been a better target. B-movie team? Seriously?
(2) This world is a spoof on the warhammer world - I don't see how the Bretonnian fluff is particularly bad. Personally I took it over from someone else, because I thought it was excellent.
(3) I'm told 1st ed. is sacred gold. Don't blaspheme :wink: (Just kidding).

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Come on guys if you want to argue about fluff then go over to a 40k forum and ask why a space marine force consists of about 5 men in the fluff and they could take down planets but the game requires almost hundreds of models for a skirmish.

This is blood bowl we have things like space frogs that crash landed in the old world and now they boss lizard people around, and a system where the worshippers of the chaos gods are rewarded for their glory in a sporting event. As well as a team fielded by 2 foot men working with trees that steal opponents efforts using the wafting scent of delicious food.

Its blood bowl fluff, its camp and stupid at the worst of time and hilarious at the best of times. Thiers no point arguing over it, its all silly but its also the richest awesomesauce around.

artjones123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by artjones123 »

arthurinkpen wrote: Its blood bowl fluff, its camp and stupid at the worst of time and hilarious at the best of times. Thiers no point arguing over it, its all silly but its also the richest awesomesauce around.
QFT. And Bret onnian K nights questing for the Bloodweiser Trophy fit perfectly with that fluff.

I like the concept of k nights on a BB pitch. That's weird enough for BB. :)

In 1st ed, Albion wanderers were a joke team. So, I think I will try Plasmoid team with the old rules: k nights refuse to pick up the ball and to pass the ball to peasants.

ombwiri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ombwiri »

heh. I like the idea of having animosity between the knights and the knights-not.

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

IIRC it wasnt animosity. It was flat out refusing to pick up a ball, or to catch one. More the "no hands" skill. The squires (??) did all the ball handling, while the knights bashed. I dont think knights gave assists either (tot non-knights that is), but that''s more or less hopefull thinking I guess.

And wasnt there a team with 3 player types, knights, squires and p(h)easants ? :D

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

NOBLEMEN

0-16 Men-at-Arms 40,000 6 3 3 7 None GSP A
0-4 Yeomen 60,000 6 3 3 8 Fend GS AP
0-4 Knights 120,000 6 3 3 9 Block, Dauntless, Animosity GS AP

0-8 RR @ 50,000 GP each
Star Players available - Helmut, Zug, Zara, Griff, Morg
Done...Animosity added. :D

Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

Asperon Thorn wrote:
Plasmoid wrote: In fair Bretonnia questing for the Bloodweiser Trophy is as much a tribute to the Lady of the Lake as questing for the actual grail. :wink:

Cheers
Martin

Asperon Thorn
We play a game where a goblin operates a chainsaw. :D

Spike! Magazine Major Tournament - September @ Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thunderbowl Sports Network - Head Coach of the Leaps of Faith.
Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

arthurinkpen wrote:Come on guys if you want to argue about fluff then go over to a 40k forum and ask why a space marine force consists of about 5 men in the fluff and they could take down planets but the game requires almost hundreds of models for a skirmish.
Because all the races they could do that against are now extinct. Mostly because of the Space Marines. The races you have left are the toughest things in the Galaxy and surely as tough as space marines or else they, too, would be extinct.

Asperon Thorn

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

Warpstone wrote:
Asperon Thorn wrote:
Plasmoid wrote: In fair Bretonnia questing for the Bloodweiser Trophy is as much a tribute to the Lady of the Lake as questing for the actual grail. :wink:
We play a game where a goblin operates a chainsaw. :D
and...(!) can now do it one-handed, in order to hold a ball in the other hand ;)

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
ZanzerTem
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Tampa, FL (I USED to be able to see Galak in the distance!)

Post by ZanzerTem »

burgun824 wrote:
NOBLEMEN

0-16 Men-at-Arms 40,000 6 3 3 7 None GSP A
0-4 Yeomen 60,000 6 3 3 8 Fend GS AP
0-4 Knights 120,000 6 3 3 9 Block, Dauntless, Animosity GS AP

0-8 RR @ 50,000 GP each
Star Players available - Helmut, Zug, Zara, Griff, Morg
Done...Animosity added. :D
Wouldn't that bring their price down though?

NAF # 581
Commish of the ABBL, Tampa Bay's premier BloodBowl League!