present fumble sucks!!!

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Fumbling after modifacition excluding range modifiers/skills modifiers

yes, good one!
35%
are you mad?!?
61%
OK, but...
3%

Total votes: 31

Five Minute Lasters
Rookie
Rookie

present fumble sucks!!!

Post by Five Minute Lasters »

My friends and Ihave a houserule (we're probably not the only one with this rule) that you only fumble on an unmodified role of 1 or after modifications, not including the penalty (or bonus with a quick pass) for range, strong arm and accurate. I think this rule is IMO much more logical than the present one (why would someone with sa let the ball slip less often, or if someone tries to throw long he does'n't let the ball fall any sooner, does he?). But i wanted to ask you guys if there's something wrong with the rule (or if it isn't: use it too youtselves, if you don't already did)?

Reason: ''
learning six languages(!) but still can't communicate with my trolls
juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by juergen »

I never understood why throwing the ball furthor away also raised the fumble risk. I would say that an unmodified 1 should be a fumble. I would also suggest that you get -1 for every enemy tackle zone you are in so you fumble on a 1 or 2 if you are throwing while standing in a TZ (except NOS) - afterall there is preassure on the passer there...

Juergen

Creator of Elfball.org - the Elfball website officialy approved by Impact Miniatures
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

The current fumble rules are a game mechanic that work quite well.

It has two big effects.
1) Trained throwers (i.e. with Accurate/Strong Arm) are less likely to fumble passes that those with high AG.

2) It makes chucking the ball downfield at the end of the half a low risk- high reward play. Only 1/6 chance of fumble? That looks like good odds for me.

My league used to play your house rule and we changed it back to the official rules last year. I don't think anyone has complained.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Kheldar
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Kheldar »

Ähm Jürgen, you get -1 for every tackle zone you are in. And to the second one. Its essential that you get the -1 or -2 for throwing lon pass or bomb so not every elf can throw long bombs.

Join the Bembel Bowl in Frankfurt
2 Days of Fun and Bloodbowl
>>>[url]http://www.botzliga.de/[/url]<<<
redskins311
Rookie
Rookie

Post by redskins311 »

From what I remember, the LRB says it is a fumble if it is a roll of 1 before OR AFTER modification. Which would mean a natural 1 always fails. But I may be misunderstanding your question... :-?

juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by juergen »

Kheldar wrote:Ähm Jürgen, you get -1 for every tackle zone you are in. And to the second one. Its essential that you get the -1 or -2 for throwing lon pass or bomb so not every elf can throw long bombs.
Sorry, I was not precise.

I meant that only tackle zones and not the range should be taken into account when rolling for fumble

Example: original Long Bomb without TZ is a fumble on 1,2,3
my Long Bomb without TZ would only fumble on a 1 (and within 2 TZ it would fumble on a 1,2,3)

thats just for the fumble, not the accuracy of the pass.

Juergen

Creator of Elfball.org - the Elfball website officialy approved by Impact Miniatures
narkotic
Da Collector

Post by narkotic »

as Ian said: it's a game mechanic to prevent throwing the ball down the pitch, just for the sake to get rid of it. The more now, that you are allowed to throw it on empty squares.

Either you want to make a serious long bomb/pass, that means you will use a Thrower/AG4 or 5 player for that and hope that it will be successfull, or you just wanna get the ball out of the emergency area because in front of your EZ you have only one Lineman defending against 6 opposing players. Such emergency passes should suck (=great chance of fumble) IMHO anyway.

You can give your player HMP if you want to do that.

Five Minute Lasters
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Five Minute Lasters »

narkotic wrote:as Ian said: it's a game mechanic to prevent throwing the ball down the pitch, just for the sake to get rid of it. The more now, that you are allowed to throw it on empty squares.

Either you want to make a serious long bomb/pass, that means you will use a Thrower/AG4 or 5 player for that and hope that it will be successfull, or you just wanna get the ball out of the emergency area because in front of your EZ you have only one Lineman defending against 6 opposing players. Such emergency passes should suck (=great chance of fumble) IMHO anyway.

You can give your player HMP if you want to do that.
so is gameplay over realisme, I can live with that 8) thanks for the quotes you guys! :D

learning six languages(!) but still can't communicate with my trolls
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

i dont like to see a ag 2 player throwing a long bomb on 2+ to clear his end zone.
i like the actual rule even if there are little problems with it. At least those problems are less importante than house rulez i saw for the moment.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
DesTroy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DesTroy »

So why not simply outlaw throwing the ball to an empty space (Intentional Grounding, as it's known in American football)? Make it akin to Fouling, with similar penalties for targetting an empty square and being caught by the Referee as for committing a foul and getting caught.

There is a purpose to making a long throw harder. Simply put, it IS harder to throw a football longer distances (which might explain the lack of really long bombs in the NFL). So the fumble result should stay the same IMHO.

---troy
[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img] [b]NBA Novice Heretic[/b]
As renowned bard Bruce Slannstein said, "Blind faith - in anyone or anything - will get your ogre killed."
juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by juergen »

DesTroy wrote: There is a purpose to making a long throw harder. Simply put, it IS harder to throw a football longer distances (which might explain the lack of really long bombs in the NFL). So the fumble result should stay the same IMHO.
Yes it is harder to throw at long distances, but what happens usually? the pass is inaccurate and not fumbled. Fumbles occur when QB's are hit by the defense while throwing.

I don't have a great problem with the current system, its just unlogical for me (like the interception roll before actually passing)

Juergen

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

DesTroy wrote:So why not simply outlaw throwing the ball to an empty space (Intentional Grounding, as it's known in American football)? Make it akin to Fouling, with similar penalties for targetting an empty square and being caught by the Referee as for committing a foul and getting caught.

There is a purpose to making a long throw harder. Simply put, it IS harder to throw a football longer distances (which might explain the lack of really long bombs in the NFL). So the fumble result should stay the same IMHO.

hum, havent you seen that a lot of things in BB are not in the real US Football?

Well, throwing the ball in a empty square is a fair tactick to me as long as the rules are good with it. and they are .

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Munkey
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Munkey »

There's already a penalty for intentional grounding, it's a turnover.

TBH i've always thought of it as ref enforced.

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
Alesdair
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Alesdair »

Yes we play similier...
but we word it as such.

The Range mod effects AG,
the TZ mods effect the roll.

So that only the TZ's not the range increases the fumble.

Pass me another Elf, Captain. This one's split.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

range should affect fumble chance but i clicked on yes thinking thats what the question was implying